Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• globalste
    United Kingdom 

Issue with connectivity (EE sim card, Incontrol Pro)

I used to have the 3 data sim that was suggested on here, the one that gets 60GB for 2 years. Well, the 2 years ran out so I managed to haggle an EE one for £5pm which gives plenty of data.

I've installed the sim card and the Disco recognises it (checked on the Incontrol settings), but it shows zero data used by Incontrol and I'm yet to see a 3G/4G signal so I'm not sure its working properly and I am not sure where to start.

I don't seem to get a 3G/4G signal at all, it just seems to be searching constantly, I also don't seem to be getting wifi at home either although I have not interrogated the latter in anger eg sat there for ages. I've turned all data and wifi off and then back on again.

In the top left I normally have the icons showing mobile phone signal, mobile phone battery, heated seats and then the 3g/4g car sim. But at the moment I seem to be getting mobile phone signal (sometimes a pole with a circle), battery, heated seats, and then searching.

The 3 one seemed to work ok, apart from having to turn data back on about every 2 months because the Incontrol would randomly turn the data off (is this an issue anyone else has had?). But this EE one doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I was thinking something like:

1) log out, log back in
    2) contact EE to see if the card needs some sort of enabling.

Last edited by globalste on 8th Dec 2021 8:25 pm. Edited 2 times in total

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Is it a phone SIM or data only for a tablet,etc?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Data only

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • Soler
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Loire Blue

Have you tried putting the sim in a tablet or phone to see if its activated.? it should still work in a phone without the ability to make calls.
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Thats a good idea, ive got a little Mi-fi box, will give that a whirl!

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • Soler
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Loire Blue

If it works in your Mi-fi box you may want to try your phone sim in the car for a test to see if that also does not get a signal.

Silly question but the SIM was installed the correct way round?
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Yeh good point, will try that, (I think my phone has a SIM card it’s an iPhone 12)

Yeh it can only go in one way, and when I click in settings it says it’s an EE SIM card.

I just watched a LR video and it suggested scrolling down to “info” and then resetting the max address. It also said use a phone sim and not a data sim though, which is the opposite of what the manual says and what I previously used!

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I don't want to get you worried, but what "size" is your SIM card? (I.e. do you use a sim converter)?

I ask because I am currently on my 3rd SIM card holder in my D5 because if I take the sim card out it seems to damage the pins in the reader and then if I put another card in, it doesn't work properly.

My LR dealer have told me this is a common issue.
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

I have now tried the following:

Three sim card back in. Works
    Wifes Vodafone sim card in. Works

EE data sim, works in MiFi box, doesn't work in my Landrover (although it knows an EE simcard is in from connectivity>mobiledata).
    My EE iPhone simcard, doesn't work in Landrover (although knows an EE simcard is in)

I've checked that there is o usage limits set etc. I have also updated infotainment to the latest version S21B_21.37.2-778242

I've tried this in various combinations and I have used connectivity>about>reset to reset the network connections each time. Both EE sims are obviously enabled and working.

So as far as I can see at the moment, EE sim cards don't work. Does anyone know if the Incontrol Pro can somehow end up locked to a network? I've sent a mail to Landrover and I cc'ed the tech support people I spoke to at EE who were actually very helpful in trying to diagnose the problem. They said the Incontrol Pro is behaving exactly like a locked phone with a different sim card in would.

There are quite a few people on the EE forums who have a similar problem.

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Update:

I have tried to configure the car manually for it's APN settings. However, I am not sure who makes the Incontrol Pro - its not android based etc so I don't know if changing these settings will be in vain. I tried these:

Name: EE Internet
    Username: eesecure
    Password: secure

I saw someone on the Jaguar forum did it and I also found this LR video saying the same at 4:05 &ab_channel=LandRoverUK

However, inputting those details did not seem to work and it still could not find a data signal, so the card is pretty much useless which is a real shame because I wanted the much better EE network over the Three one Sad.

Edit: I called EE and cancelled the data sim, I have bought another Three Broadband - Pay As You Go + 24GB 2yr sim card for £33 direct from Three http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff...f=0to49.99

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • John77
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

My EE data card does work, but I seem to remember having to speak to EE support to enable it for the car.

MY19 HSE SDV6 Fuji White - roof rails + bars, privacy glass, HUD, adaptive LED, deployable tow bar, 360º cameras, side steps.
  • Huttopia
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Montalcino Red

Yep I had to speak to EE to get it to work too. Now fine 👍
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum