Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FenAir
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Reducing voltage D5 commercial

Just on the off chance someone might know of a solution, I have a 2018 D5 commercial, after a number of rear door and rear side door openings I get a warning on the dash to start the engine due to low battery, I have had a new battery fitted at land rover dealers under warranty, but still the issue exists. The issue as I see it, is that each time I go to the truck to get tools or put them back, opening the door then causes the bank of control units to fire up in readiness, which then reduces the standing voltage from 12.7 to 12. 0 . Is there a way that the system can be configured to ignore the rear and rear side doors , thus not firing the system up until the drivers door is opened?
    One would have thought LR would have worked this out, as the problem is that once the dash warning is displayed, the rear tail gate unlatches but won't lift and open, given it's a commercial it's a bit of a nightmare that you can't access the load bay until you start it up to charge the battery, least of all bloody embarrassing with a £50 grand truck that after a half dozen door openings you have to start the truck to charge the battery,in fact, it's a joke...
    Any info on how to configure the car to stop the self imposed battery voltage drop would be great,

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

You might have had a new battery fitted, but is the car actually charging it when running.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

Hi Al, yes mate as it sits not used since 6.pm last night ,. It's -1 and voltage is 12.7 it's charging fine, in fact the technician showed me the print out of the original battery and said he couldn't see anything wrong but under my insistence a new one was installed ( battery).
    It is simply the constant opening and closing of the rear doors, the power keeps dropping once you are working out of it, either it needs to be told to only wake up on driver door openings or the voltage threshold dropped to 11.5v not 12.0.
    My D4 used to be similar with the cool box running and door openings but I would ignore it because it didn't effect the opening of the tail gate, on the 5 it's automatic, not gas struts, so once at 12v the error / warning displayed then the tail gate pops open but won't lift up, it will close automatically but not open.
    As said, LR are a bit asleep here, because in passenger carrying format it's unlikely someone would open the tailgate and rear side doors for a couple of hours without driving, but it's a commercial, obviously I'm in the minority of land rover owners who God forbidden would dare to use the brand as a work horse and not something that looks cool with a top box and bikes strapped to the rear in center parcs car park... 😂

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

Hi Pat,

This won’t help you but I have the same problem loading and unloading the car. The solution I use is leave the doors open, this works but obviously you can’t do that.

See here https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3215.html
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

Yes, not always the best with tools and equipment on show, let alone 240V stuff getting wet with rain , if i am working at a garage or similar then i do, but when you are inside and the truck is outside well.. you know what i mean.

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • Craigp
    England 

I know you shouldn't have too but unless there's a fault on yours LR aren't going to reconfigure your car. So could you double up you battery. If you're quick your dealer may have a spare battery that was removed from a customer's vehicle when there was nothing wrong with it. Whistle
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

Its possible to do a mod in the engine bay , there is enough space in front of the engine to weld a tray in, and hook it to the jump start post, was thinking the same, as the D4 used a small motorcycle battery for stop start were the 5 uses a capacitor ( which i have disconnected as i hate SS) will likely be my path if a value cant be found to modify or removing door switches, the only issue with doubling batteries is the D5 is a smart charge set up, and may not fully charge the second battery , but worth a try for £50, once that is i have the telematics module replaced as that's failed and LR don't have stock, the dealer is wriggling like a worm on a hook after the warranty company ( LR's approved) contacted me wanting to know when the system failed and once i pointed out it didn't work the day the car was delivered they are refusing to pay also... no stock at LR either... so until i get things sorted i cant mod much..

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • Craigp
    England 

Was thinking more like this. I'll be honest not looked at them but just heard of people talking about 2nd batteries.

• FenAir
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, i have a standalone 12V AGM in the load deck cavity running a inverter positioned in the recess on the N/S powered by a smart DC/DC charger that only pulls off the main battery with the engine running and when the inverter has been running to top up the standalone battery.
    Thats not caused the issue as it only went in at he weekend as i have been two months wrangling with the dealer to get a new battery fitted as this door opening issue raised its head on day two of ownership mid October.. he constant wake up of the system is the issue and given there is only 0.6V slack in the system, with screens , ecu's and tailgate power on demand, its not hard to see why you loose half a volt in a couple of hours, not the systems fault, its just as usual poor design, what happens when someone from the play station generation designs a car, also show there was Censored all testing done real time on the commercial, makes you wonder how the defender fairs, likely the same, as my mate put it, Toyota have twin batteries in case you might go somewhere else other than the kings road... so in true land rover tradition it will be down to the owner to modify his vehicle to make it functional..

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum