Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

odd HUD/cruise behavior in snowy/ freezing rain conditions

So I had the '22 D5 up in the Sierra/Tahoe area of California in December and had a weird system behavior.

The weather was a combination of snow and freezing rain with the temp right around freezing at 32... err 0 for you other folks. Wink As I approached a temp checkpoint the state's transportation division had setup to make sure you had chains or a 4x4 to go over a 7200' pass, the car suddenly started flashing red warning signs and said take control of the wheel as the cruise/assist system was about to fail. Sure enough if it did and a red warning triangle came up on the display and also, and this is the interesting part, the HUD displayed the same warning triangle and nothing else. The car also was telling me to pull over and stop the vehicle, but not really why I should do so. I promptly ignored that. Smile

All the adaptive/cruise system controls on the wheel went dim as well and of course nothing was selectable for those functions (even speed control). What I assume was happening is the sensors at the front of the car had been frozen over and so the car just limited access to their use. Fine. What I find interesting though is that JLR chose to have the HUD be unusable during all this, simply showing the warning triangle, I get that the adaptive cruise and lane assist stuff isn't functioning, but it could still show navigation, right?

So the car remained in this state for about 20 minutes until I was well over the mountain pass, then suddenly it all just came back: HUD working and the adaptive cruise system/lane guides etc. all started working again. Well, I could select things but it was obvious that the car distance sensors to a forward vehicle weren't working, all I could do was manually select a cruising speed (which was handy under those conditions). I never stopped the car. When I finally got to a place where I could stop the vehicle and look at the front, sure enough it was completely covered in ice. But if it was still covered, why was the system available now? The whole thing was a bit odd.

Wish I had stopped and taken pictures of all the warning displays, but considering the conditions, I was afraid if I stopped I'd get stuck.

Anyone else experienced this?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

This is from icing over the windscreen in front of the cameras and the radar panel in the grille. Fairly common in those kinds of situations.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum