Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just to add my 2 cents... I know that there is indeed a weakness in the part, but look at how many tdv6 engines have been manufactured... They have not all failed.

So... While it is true that there is a design problem with the part, it does not mean that they will all fail.

I have a tdv6 D5 and am actually VERY happy with it. Before it, I had 2 2.7 tdv6's and they had both done WELL over 220000km and neither of them had had any issues.

So... All tdv6 engines are waiting to snap their crank.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Just trying to enlighten the possibilities . I bought mine thinking they cant be that bad! as reported. was a bit of a shock when it happened and the implications to your pocket if JLR dont help. Just on the common occurence front the dealer had five others waiting for new engines when mine was in so not that uncommon.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Regarding the comment 'the dealer had 5 waiting for new engines"... It seems amazing how many engines seem to fail in the UK. Here in Luxembourg, I only know of 1 engine that has failed and the dealers (there are 5 in and around Luxembourg) don't seem to have seem any way near as many as your dealers in the UK seem to see.

I don't know why!!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The dealers are not likely to shout about them are they?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

What engine/year/mileage is yours popsdosh?

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Don't seem to have any problems with the Td6 here in the US - they were good enough for Ford to offer them as an option for a few model years recently in the #1 best selling vehicle in the US for 30+ years, but the take rate was low because it was priced too high.

Mine has been bomb proof at 55,000 miles and some pretty rough off road treatment.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Have any of you here watch the YouTube channel with the Car Ninja?

How many times has he mentioned BMW engines having to be replaced?

I only mention this because I think that "we" often seem to forget that EVERY car manufacturer has engines fail.

Here on a LR forum site, we tend to have "collected" together and it is also human nature to talk about problems more than "not problems".

How many people have TDV6 engines that are NOT IT savy and don't post comments on forum sites? I think it is probably a lot. How many of THEM have had engines that not caused and issues?

Just remember, here on a forum site you hear more about "issues" than people saying that their vehicle has been faultless
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Good points Nebc. There are 7 Disco 5s on my school run, all but one a SDV6. Yet we are lucky to see 3 threads updated on this site. We are a narrow group, here because we are generally more interested in cars than most, plus the occasional person who has a problematic one and searches the net.

I had one of the problematic BMW engines from a decade back. Notorious for ingesting turbo impellers and snapping timing chains catastrophically. Mine was caught on the verge of the latter. My next car was a BMW…..

We see a lot of engine problems in the UK as pretty much all brands stretch service intervals vs. the US (for instance). The reliable Japanese cars still have sensible intervals.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    What engine/year/mileage is yours popsdosh?

SDV6 ,yr16 67k , I ended up not buying a D5 for various reasons ,mostly because I was a lot happier driving the 4 after trying many 5s. The crank problem is a lottery and very easy to make light of until you have it happen and then it sort of dawns on you that you could be facing a bill upwards of £10k . When looking at D5s the service manager where mine was fixed said he thought the D5 would suffer just as much as the D4 it was just a matter of time.He also said dont even think of a SD4 as they have more issues. interestingly the short engine supplied by JLR had originally been in a D5 and the shaft went as he checked engine numbers . The true figure will never be known as a lot of the early failures were never dealt with by JLR because they wouldnt accept liability . An independent has 3 now sitting in his yard because the owners wont fork out to replace the engine the youngest being a 15plate

Last edited by Popsdosh on 3rd Feb 2022 9:52 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

DieselRanger wrote:
    Don't seem to have any problems with the Td6 here in the US - they were good enough for Ford to offer them as an option for a few model years recently in the #1 best selling vehicle in the US for 30+ years, but the take rate was low because it was priced too high.

Mine has been bomb proof at 55,000 miles and some pretty rough off road treatment.

Fords engine has been modified by ford and has a different crank notably with larger journals. The ones fitted by JLR are not Ford engines and are Puegeot origin and fitted in many vehicles with less issues hence why its thought a lot has to do with the stresses of heavy loads and torque bringing out a weakness. So to some degree the D5 will be at an advantage as lighter than a D4
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

The Lion engine is a Ford-Pugeot joint venture. Ford UK developed it originally for JLR (AJD-V6) with Pugeot as a joint production partner and variants (DT-17) for Citroen. The JLR version was produced at Ford's Dagenham plant and its heritage goes all the way back to 2003 as the 2.7L.

True, the "PowerStroke" Td6 in the F150 has some modifications to boost the towing capacity to over 11,000 lbs including new crankshaft bearings. That has reportedly been quite reliable here as well while it lasted as an engine option.

Here in the US, people who buy diesels buy them for long-haul, heavy-duty use - torque and range. Those who bought the Td6 in LR products here generally put the miles on pretty heavy and many of us use them off road, conditions that are favorable to diesel longevity. Diesel motors that experience failures generally aren't driven enough in the conditions they thrive in - or alternatively, are driven too much in conditions they aren't designed for, such as frequent short trips and stop-and-go traffic.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum