Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Washbay33
    United Kingdom 

Faults on 68plate Discoverys

Ive been offered a 68plate (43kmiles) 3 litre diesel Discovery 5 at a reasonable price considering the current limited market circumstances.

Are there any common MAJOR faults that I need to be wary of?

I’ve heard stories of crankshaft going and engines seizing on Discovery’s. Is the 3 litre more or less prone to these sort of issues? What would concern you guys most faced with this deal?

It is at a dealer, so there is some sort of warranty. But I am not sure how good dealers warranty’s are when it comes to big expensive jobs.

Your thoughts would be useful. Thx
  • Whippetman
    England 

Having had my experience I’d recommend you run away!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Washbay33
    United Kingdom 

Can you elaborate?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I would be more worried about a 2.0 than a 3.0. Crank issues were on prevalent on early 3.0 models but don’t seem to see many reports on newer ones.

Is it a SDV6 (306bhp) or TDV6 (258bhp)? The former replaced the latter in Discos around MY2018 or MY2019. It has been the standard engine on Range Rover Sports for longer so those forums are worth a check if SDV6.

I’d be more worried about windscreen leaks. Try look for signs of water ingress. Those that have had this very common problem may be able to help with what to look for. I’ve been “fortunate” enough to break two windscreens on my 2020 car, so didn’t have a factory screen for long enough to worry.

I rejected my 2019 car due to sensor issues that emerged around 5 months old. I’d recommend a decent test drive with all the assistance systems on. Ideally have cruise assist on if it has it, certainly lane keep assist and adaptive cruise. These features are not on every spec.

Buy with a solid warranty. These are not cheap to repair and they’re not like Japanese or Korean cars in terms of reliability. Be ready to sell up and move on if you get a troublesome one. A good sign will be if yours is one owner. A bag of trouble would likely have been rejected in the first year. But things like the windscreen can happen any time.

Oh and expect to see rubbing marks from a badly fitted tailgate. They all do this, certainly both have mind have. No big issue that one.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Whippetman
    England 

Words of wisdom👍👍

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, do a runner unless you like playing Russian Roulette.
  • Washbay33
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    I would be more worried about a 2.0 than a 3.0. Crank issues were on prevalent on early 3.0 models but don’t seem to see many reports on newer ones.

Is it a SDV6 (306bhp) or TDV6 (258bhp)? The former replaced the latter in Discos around MY2018 or MY2019. It has been the standard engine on Range Rover Sports for longer so those forums are worth a check if SDV6.

I’d be more worried about windscreen leaks. Try look for signs of water ingress. Those that have had this very common problem may be able to help with what to look for. I’ve been “fortunate” enough to break two windscreens on my 2020 car, so didn’t have a factory screen for long enough to worry.

I rejected my 2019 car due to sensor issues that emerged around 5 months old. I’d recommend a decent test drive with all the assistance systems on. Ideally have cruise assist on if it has it, certainly lane keep assist and adaptive cruise. These features are not on every spec.

Buy with a solid warranty. These are not cheap to repair and they’re not like Japanese or Korean cars in terms of reliability. Be ready to sell up and move on if you get a troublesome one. A good sign will be if yours is one owner. A bag of trouble would likely have been rejected in the first year. But things like the windscreen can happen any time.

Oh and expect to see rubbing marks from a badly fitted tailgate. They all do this, certainly both have mind have. No big issue that one.

It’s the TD6. Which might mean it falls into that early category with crank risk. Hmm
    Can you buy a warranty that covers that?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

There are various warranties, most costing about £1k plus.

There are get out clauses on most, particularly where it refers to manufacturing defects.

It doesn’t follow that LR will cover say a replacement engine just because the warranty company says in their opinion it’s manufacturing, because LR would deny it is.

Sometime LR will make a contribution to help cover the cost, sometimes not. It depends on various things, your history of buying LR, if you had it since new, the vehicle has been serviced by a main dealership, mileage etc. plus how LR are feeling that particular day. In other words it’s not guaranteed, hence it’s a bit like Russian Roulette.

Worse case, you might have to fork out £24k for a new engine etc.

Would I expect to pay that? I’ve had the car since new, its done 28k miles, it’s been serviced by the supplying dealership, it’s got a LR named warranty. In reality, I’d expect to have to make a contribution, but maybe I might be lucky and I’d end up having to fork out just £5k based on £24k bill on the other hand …..
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

LOL nothing like putting the man off .

Crank wont be covered by any warranty !! JLR from experience are pretty good with goodwill on them as long as its been JLR serviced . mine not a 5 but a4 with SDV6 at 67k recently was done FOC which was a relief. If anything the D4 involves more labour to replace as the body has to come off. It would have seen change from £14k .
    To be honest the claims that later ones are less likely to go is more down to age of the engine as the engine has not been modified in any way although maybe the lighter weight of the D5 may make it less prone although if you tow at near GTW that will certainly bring the day closer.
    Having said all that I would rather have the SDV6 than the SD4 as you are almost certain to need a new lump in one of those at some point , I have a friend who had 3 replacements in a DS and spent more time in a courtesey car than his.
    Two different engines two different issues , If I could manage without a Discovery I would happily sell as I know the crank will always be at the back of my mind . Recently looked at D5s and was nearly tempted till I got back in the 4 and realised I prefered the drive. . Wasnt helped by the fact that there was a puddle on the transmission cover ,the BS from saleswoman was somebody had left the sunroof ajar Rolling with laughter
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

That’s a very depressing series of replies. My car is a 2017 (3L petrol) and it’s started to get me worried.

It also makes me wonder, given the fact they are no longer making my model, whether if god forbid the engine needed replacing, there would BE ANY replacement units in UK?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

God knows.

Another LR parts department expression springs to mind - “it’s on back order.” Meaning you’ve more chance of seeing the coming of the next Messiah. Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Just to note for the OP that the SDV6 in the Disco4 is not the same SDV6 as the Disco 5. It might be the same as the TDV6 in the D5, I’m unsure.

I did read that the snapping cranks was down to manufacturing defects in a certain batch or number of model years.

Really the RRS forum is the place to go as there are far more on the road and the SDV6 was the main engine, possibly throughout the run of the current model from 2014. It’s a far busier forum with much more experience.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Got interrupted in my previous reply. Would be tempted to search out a SDV6 if it was me.

The £24k bill referred to in this thread was an owner on the forum with an out of warranty or extended warrant SD4. Initially presented with the bill, the dealer took it to LR. As far as I recall it was waived in full but worth a forum search if interested.

I wouldn’t touch a SD4 secondhand personally, from both driving one and from reading on here (no offence to owners who have chosen that engine for specific reasons) but the 6s wouldn’t worry me at all.

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Just to note for the OP that the SDV6 in the Disco4 is not the same SDV6 as the Disco 5. It might be the same as the TDV6 in the D5, I’m unsure.

I did read that the snapping cranks was down to manufacturing defects in a certain batch or number of model years.

Really the RRS forum is the place to go as there are far more on the road and the SDV6 was the main engine, possibly throughout the run of the current model from 2014. It’s a far busier forum with much more experience.

It has nothing to do with a batch as its an inherent problem with that engine . Just for clarity the SDV6 fitted in D5 is the same engine as the D4 V6 both TDV and SDV they are all the same block and crank just have different turbo and engine management set ups , they all have the potential to snap the crank ,maybe D5(some have already) is not old enough yet as the sweet spot is around 60-70k for them to go. The lighter D5 does help to some degree as is the RRS. A lot of RRS have the V8 which is a totally different beast
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the clarity, it was something I’d read on the RRS forum a while back (batch/MY theory). Useful to know it’s bunkum.

Yes, plenty of V8 RRS but think the SDV6 dominates in the UK and in numbers compared with D5, many many more on the road - that’s the point I was making there.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum