Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

Discovery to becomes it's own brand with JLR

Alongside Range Rover, Defender and Jaguar.

Wait? What?

https://www.motor1.com/news/663245/range-r...gined-jlr/

So likely no BEV version for a few years, but at least this means the Disco isn't going away anytime soon. Smile
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not sure reading where JLR are placing the new discovery brand it will be the one your hoping for . Everything I have seen so far suggest Discovery will be entry level to JLR so built around the DS model.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Read this a few weeks back and been waiting for the big announcement...

Interesting move!

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3593.html

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Discovery to becomes it's own brand with JLR

eelpout wrote:
    Alongside Range Rover, Defender and Jaguar.

Wait? What?

https://www.motor1.com/news/663245/range-r...gined-jlr/

So likely no BEV version for a few years, but at least this means the Disco isn't going away anytime soon. Smile

“Reimagined JLR”

I had a forlorn hope that would mean less faults, greater reliability and helpful dealerships, but it seems it’s just burying the LandRover name.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I think it's nonsense Smile

It's not like a quick google of 'Range Rover dealers' gives an empty page.... and I'm pretty sure JLR could fix that with google's help.

Land Rover have opened up a big 'gap' on paper for the Discovery with the new Ranger Rover jumping well beyond £100k. I think they believe most Discovery buyers will be happy to pay £80k for one.

I think they are forgetting what Discovery stands for and who buys them. It's not people wanting a cheap Ranger Rover. They currently love L322's Very Happy
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Re: Discovery to becomes it's own brand with JLR

Wolfpack wrote:
    I had a forlorn hope that would mean less faults, greater reliability and helpful dealerships, but it seems it’s just burying the LandRover name.
    They're helpfully screwing the dealerships too (after investing in the new Arch concept) by moving to the Agency model. So they'll be even less interested in fixing your car as you won't have bought it from them.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

The only plus-point is the confirmation in this that the Discovery brand is important to them... so hopefully the D5 isn't the end of the line for us!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Ian_S wrote:
    I think it's nonsense Smile

It's not like a quick google of 'Range Rover dealers' gives an empty page.... and I'm pretty sure JLR could fix that with google's help.

Land Rover have opened up a big 'gap' on paper for the Discovery with the new Ranger Rover jumping well beyond £100k. I think they believe most Discovery buyers will be happy to pay £80k for one.

I think they are forgetting what Discovery stands for and who buys them. It's not people wanting a cheap Ranger Rover. They currently love L322's Very Happy

You forget they have an 8 seat defender and they wont compete with that on price . The Discovery is low volume production and not worth the development cost to bring a new model forward. The DS is a different kettle of fish and will be lower cost introduction to the JLR fold .In effect the DS will become the Discovery. In the last few months they have slowly let it be known they are only really into making 100k plus cars. If a D6 does appear expect it to be up there with the rest of them.
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

Having just borrowed a Defender and now had my new Discovery I am in no doubt that there is a good slot for Discovery. Its not a Defender and its not a Range Rover (or a Velar). Price wise some Defender 90s are more pricey than Discovery - I can't make out why but each to their own. I would predict that Defender sales will slow and Discovery sales will increase as nostalgia purchasers decline.
    I hope any new Discovery does not go through the "lets sack the dashboard designer" school and "let's just glue an iPad onto the dash instead" - like the Range Rover and to some extent the Defender.
  • beanoir
    United Kingdom 

Oddly I think the Defender is more of a lifestyle car, particularly the 90. The rear seats don’t even fold past 45 degrees, it’s basically pointless if you want a Defender for utilitarian purposes.

When I was at the LR dealership the other week, they had a Defender 90 in the showroom, it was exactly the same price as the new RRS sat behind it. I was really scratching my head to understand how that could possibly be right.

So, I decided to ignore it and put a deposit on a Discovery instead. I had set out with the intention of swapping our Disco 4 for a Defender 90 and then using it as my daily driver, but I just couldn’t see the point in it.

I do feel like LR are teetering on the edge of completely losing their way.
  • eelpout
    United States 

I
    Quote:
    hope any new Discovery does not go through the "lets sack the dashboard designer" school and "let's just glue an iPad onto the dash instead" - like the Range Rover and to some extent the Defender.

I fear the new (Tesla) style Velar cockpit is an indication of things to come. :/

the Defender and Disco are not the same, and I wish the (2020) Defender owners who are screaming that the Disco should cease to exist would understand that.

I wonder, now having confirmed that the Disco will live, if they'll do a cabin refresh with the petrols & diesels in between any PHEV/BEV variants or Disco6 that will likely come down the road.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Bonkers...

Discovery is a very strong brand, but the fact it is a Land Rover, and the tradition that connects into is a huge part of the brand identity.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Who gives a rats a Censored se.

They’ve dragged the LR brand down to such a level, be it engines conking out or a fake 2 year waiting list for a car that gets delivered without all the options, that the very name they once traded on is toxic beyond belief, no wonder they want rid of it, period!

As for us owners, we should be hiding or picking off anything that says LR on the bodywork. Otherwise it says we really are planks to keep buying this crap.

At least the black on black more or less obliterates it on mine.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum