Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• asmair
    United Kingdom 

STALLING 2018 INGENIUM 2LT

Good evening,

Looking for some advice. When starting engine from cold, engine idles normally. Select D/S/R and engine splutters to a halt. If I leave the engine to warm up in P or N, engine behaves normally. Rather scary when at a busy road junction.

LR Assist coming tomorrow, but I would like to be prepared. Any body else experienced this, engine has just reached 50000 miles?

Thanks
  • asmair
    United Kingdom 

LR Assist arrived and of course the fault had disappeared. However, last night problem reoccurred, emerging on to a busy main road from car park. Surely someone else has encountered this problem, or am I unique?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

No idea. I know nothing about car faults, other than to call the dealer(!). Hopefully someone might be along who knows something, but it's not the busiest of forums that's for sure. It's no disco4.co.uk... Never has been Sad

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

Not had such a problem - sorry.

2L Diesel 2018 with 27000 miles
  • Whippetman
    England 

asmair wrote:
    LR Assist arrived and of course the fault had disappeared. However, last night problem reoccurred, emerging on to a busy main road from car park. Surely someone else has encountered this problem, or am I unique?

Yes, My 2017 HSE LUX 2.0 litre
    I suffered embarrassment when pulling away from side turnings and roundabouts soon found out two of the four cylinders had low compression and new engine needed.
    When reversing up a slight incline she stalled several times.
    I had no idea what could be the cause but soon found out from the stealer .
    Another case for new engines 18,000 miles.
    She looked such a fine motor.

Good luck!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Yep, mine displayed this type of quirk ( first pointer was the engine revs dropping when you selected D or R, not quite to a stall) it finally gave up the gist at 39k miles by going bang big time. Complete new engine and turbos funded by LR

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • asmair
    United Kingdom 

The problem seems to occur with cold starts. If left to run for a few minutes before selecting gear, the car drives normally. If this was a carburettor engine, it could be attributed to carburettor icing.

Booked into dealer, earliest date of 4th April. Dealer states that their diagnostic equipment is more thorough than that used by LR Assist, Topix, which showed no faults. Anyone know how true this is?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

If it does it again get LR assist out again and get it towed to dealer . They are obliged under the AUW to diagnose within 48hrs . You may otherwise be risking a total engine failure at an inconvenient place or time . You may need to lean on LR assist a bit but make clear others experiences with those symptoms!!
  • norfolkmud
    United Kingdom 

I’m afraid it’s a job for the dealer. We had exactly what you describe and eventually resulted in a new engine and 2 new turbos. Low compression on cylinders. It will gradually get worse. Dealers do know a lot about this but will do their best to make out they don’t! Good luck.
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Hi Asmair, just went out to check what my Disco dose when cold, sits about 750rpm then select to R or D the rev's drop momentarily then back to 750rpm whilst still in D or R, seems to always return to 750rpm no matter what selection I make. 48500miles on clock 2018 2ltr HSE. never had stall problem fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • asmair
    United Kingdom 

LR Assist back out this morning, starting problem occurred with the technician. Car now at the dealer under "drive in breakdown" conditions. At least the fault happened with the LR Assist technician, so the dealer has to take notice. I will post when I have further information. Thanks for all your comments so far.
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

That's good hopefully there will be a code to pick up, they might do a compression test & hopefully it's a simple enough fix Rolling Eyes

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • norfolkmud
    United Kingdom 

I would definitely ask to see the results of the compression test. Fault codes will be reassuringly normal and probably throw up other unrelated issues - from my experience. Good luck!
  • asmair
    United Kingdom 

Just heard from the LR dealer. Following testing and oil sample analysis, the engine was described as very poorly and will need replacement paid for by LR Extended Warranty. Unable to discover what constitutes very poorly, but who am I to question the engineering team.

Just need to wait for a new engine to be sourced.

Cheers
  • norfolkmud
    United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that but fantastic they have given you a diagnosis so quickly and a you have a plan!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum