Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Insurance tripled past year on renewal, any recommendations

Hi All, my Insurance tripled past year on renewal this week for no reason, any recommendations for Discovery 5 insurers for me and my wife both in late forties please?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not sure who your with but some are getting out of high value cars as the risk is to high and im afraid as economics get tight theft goes up.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Renewed with direct line a couple of months ago for not much more than the previous year, they might be worth a try if you haven't already.
  • lipscow

Insurance

I am with NFU about £940.00 double last years renewal, but this does include old for new GAP insurance for two years May be worth a try.

Bill,
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Insurance is so dependent on so many factors, that who is cheapest for one isn’t cheapest for another.

Your best bet is comparison sites.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

My own insurance is due in August. No changes, max no claims, £460, up just over £100 from last year, which was up £100 from the previous year.

I tried comparison sites, cheapest was £500. Direct Line wouldn’t insure. It seems they don’t like new business if it involves a Disco.
  • lipscow

Who is your insurance with if you don’t mind saying
    Bill
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

LV at the moment and looks like I’ll end up renewing with them.

Strange thing is my renewal is £460, but on the comparison sites it comes in at over £700 with the same company.

I didn’t think they could charge two prices, but obviously there’s a way round the legals.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I was doing some speculative quotes on the meerkat, and one interesting finding was that hybrids seem to be very unpopular with insurers. A P440e Range Rover sport was quoted at £1800 with very few companies quoting, while a RRS D300 was just over £1000, and a Discovery Metropolitan was £800. Admiral seemed to be the most competitive all round. That's for a rural postcode.

Getting to the stage where insurance is going to be a significant factor affecting peoples desire to run these cars.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, you’re right there and I am not paying anything like some people I know with D5s.

I see on LVs site it’s giving the blame for price rises on the situation in the Ukraine and the shortage of part/long wait for spares.

Thing is even if it was resolved tomorrow, the premiums wouldn’t come down.

Personally, I think the Ukraine will trundle on for ten years or more, just like other conflicts the Russians have been involved in.

The price is just going to keep going up.

Wouldn’t mind, but I’ve been hit with other increased insurance bills recently.
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Just had the same thing, I paid £460 last year. Renewal with Aviva came in at £1300. I have had no claims.

DirectLine state they arn't touching Discovery and RR as 1 in 6 Range Rovers are nicked.

Apprently there is some new easy way for crooks to defeat the security which LR deny.

I went with LV in the end but that was still £790

HSE Lux, MY18, Silicon silver 3.0d
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

There’s enough negatives with the car without bunging in massive insurance premiums.

I’ll keep mine going for a while yet, well if the premiums don’t go up to stratospheric heights, but I certainly wouldn’t buy a new one with all the costs going skywards and the effect of everyone going electric. Sorry, but only a mug would do that.
  • Craigp
    England 

With the excuse the insurance companies are giving for the price rise. This must surely effect all cars. Ukraine war etc. The theft issue has always been a problem for high end cars. Especially for such an attractive vehicle that ticks a lot of boxes. I get that you've had some negative experiences in the past because you rarely miss an opportunity to tell us and that's fine. But when you are constantly calling anyone who is thinking or actually purchasing new cars mugs or idiots. It becomes rather tiresome. It's quite possible that the new purchases have done their homework and it's still the best car for them. Their not mugs they've made their choice
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Well said Thumbs Up

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, talking of homework, a search on my user name revealed I never used the word “idiot” in a post. I was quite sure I hadn’t. It has been used in 22 posts by other people that said.

On 16 & 21/09/20, I used “mugs game”, which related to something unconnected, it’s a common expression. On 08/02/21, I used “mugs” for people buying a LR at RRP and the only other time was in this post.

At least have the decency to get your facts right before attempting to quote me and saying I am constantly calling people “idiots” or “mugs.”

In anycase extolling the virtues of a car can be just as tiresome to others, when their experience is different.

I am entitled to an opinion as you are yours, the difference is I wouldn’t be so rude as to tell you to basically shut it, it’s a forum with people with different perspectives, each as valid as the other.

If my opinion annoys or irritates you, just ignore it, it’s that simple or we get to a situation where things digress based on personalities and that’s never ends well for anyone & I am sure we both have bigger and better things to do with our time than have a pop at each other via a keyboard, I do anyway! Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum