Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

3 mobile data sim

Hi,

I brought a 3 PAYG mobile broadband sim as many here have suggested, for European travel as I find UBIGI reception to be very poor in France.

I fitted it in the U.K. to ensure it worked properly. Since being in France it connects with a good signal but I get no data throughput.

I didn’t think I needed to do anything special to activate roaming with this SIM. The person on live chat support said I need to top up the sim to activate roaming. Is this correct? Appreciate any pointers from anyone else who uses this sim.

Thanks.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Which one did you buy, always worked for me!
    I presume you turned on roaming in the connectivity menus?

Edit: I have just checked the Three web site and I think you might have to pay for an add on for roaming now?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H7BKXG

I only went for 3GB as the UBIGI one works fine at home so it was just for traffic info on this trip in France/Andorra/Spain.

It looks like you can't use the pre-paid allowance abroad you have to top-up. That or you can use the pre-paid data but you have to top up something to activate roaming. I'm going to apply a small top-up now and see,
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Well I'm not sure what to make of it really. I've put the SIM in two different mobile phones and can use mobile data with the initial allowance no problem. Put the SIM in the car and it picks up the same roaming network (Orange F) but can't seem to pass any data.

Is there a way of seeing/setting the APN details etc?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Strange, I used 3 or 4 Three sim's before UBIGI came along.

I must admit I have had no trouble with the UBIGI sim on my trips through France, my phone would give up first.

My question for Land Rover would be regarding when the free UBIGI ends after 3 years and you want to switch providers.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum