Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Back driving a Discovery

Hi all I’m back I have bought a 21 reg Discovery is a S 250D with twin sun roof, roof rails, heated steering wheel and privacy glass. The colour is white with 20in silver wheels, its Land Rover approved.

I got 12 months warranty plus an extra 12 months from the dealer and I’ve paid for 12 months, so in total 3 years full warranty with breakdown cover. We all know the Discovery is a fabulous car but reliability let’s it down

I’m also going to fit mud flaps and side steps, I’m really pleased with 20in wheels. My last Discovery I had had 21in which were perfect for 3 1/2 year until I kerbed them 3 times Big Cry I think 19in are to small 21in & 22in look great but with our potholes and poor roads it can affect the ride quality. We’re 20in I think are a good compromise on looks and cheaper to replace ( showing my age ) I’m also thinking I might have the wheels painted black ?

Also the dealer trying to sell some extras like GAP insurance @ £550. for 48 months but I’ve done some research online and I can get it for £250. for 48 months which work out at £1.20 per week. I’ve never had GAP insurance before but because I’m retiring and want have the same income perhaps it’s a good idea.

I’m really excited about my new car and once I’ve got it I’ll put some photos on

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Great to have you back, and the car sounds perfect. Nice move! And yes, pics please - as soon as you can!

Re: wheel sizes, I went from 20" to 21" on my latest D5, and haven't noticed any deterioration in ride comfort at all vs my previous D5. That said, I did de-spec my new Metropolitan from 22", as I didn't want that risk the comfort would be affected, and wasn't quite so keen on the look either tbh. But each to their own!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Chalkey
    England 

Perhaps with the air suspension wheel size doesn’t matter, just cuts down the risk of kerbing your wheels

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Agreed! Driving on 22s would be a bigger risk, as I like my alloys looking perfect! And also, if occasionally I do go off-road on Scottish holidays, there's not a lot of sidewall there for protection on 22s. Wouldn't be my choice.

Seriously though, your next car sounds super! Bet you're excited for it to arrive now!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Chalkey
    England 

When I was looking for a Discovery there’s not many S models around lots of SE, HSE all with bigger wheels.
    I could bought a Discovery with 21 or 22 and perhaps sold them then got 20in, the Landmark seems to have 20in they are well speced but was finished in 20 reg.
    I’m going to personalise my Discovery with side steps, mud flaps, door protective mouldings, window wind deflectors and I might get the wheels painted black.
    I pick my Discovery up on the 13th of February, we got lots of holidays already booked Very Happy

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I actually swapped down from 20's to 18" Compomotive wheels, and 70-series AT tires (Defender spec). The ride quality is spectacular, and the total unsprung weight and rotating mass are lower, which offset the fuel economy loss from the meatier ATs. And they complement the off-road capabilities far better.

My 20's are now my winter tire hosts...no more paying $100 to mount and balance tires twice a year....

Anyway - welcome back and enjoy!
  • Chalkey
    England 

Thank you I’m delighted to be back, 18in would definitely be better for off reading and ride quality. Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum