Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Please help me understand the data usage?

23.5MY Metropolitan Edition, without the Wi-Fi hotspot function.

When my iPhone is connected and I'm using Apple Car Play for Apple Maps & Apple Music, whose data is being used - my phone's, or the car's own sim card?

And if it's my phone's own data, on what occasion is the car's built-in sim card being used? Is that only if I was using the LR nav system?

Keen to understand it, before I have a long road trip across Italy later this summer.

Thanks!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

You are using the phones's sim for those uses.

Best to think of the Discovery screen as a remote screen for the phone, everything is still happening on the phone and just being displayed and controlled from the Discovery screen.

So it's your phone data usage you need to be concerned about and possible roaming charges.

As you say, the Land Rover SIM is for Land Rover functions.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Interesting points.

Like most people I added a data sim to the car (in addition to anything LR have pre installed for their use).

I have used this sim to give live updates on maps and update software.

I have also accessed the internet on the cars screen….I assumed via the SIM card I added. (Phone not even switched on)

Are we saying that there is no way that this added SIM card can be configured to run other apps ( like those mentioned) and the only way to do that is by plugging in your phone?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

In the early days JLR we offering some apps but dropped support for them when Carplay and android Auto took off.

Basically good that they did as they are rubbish with software! Rolling with laughter

2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

So essentially, the LR sim in the car is used for remote software updates/downloads, showing things like the current weather on the screen, and should you be using the LR navigation (with live traffic updates). Because those all work even if you get in the car without a phone...

But as soon as you use Apple CarPlay, it's your data being eaten up.

Interesting what would have happened had I paid for the £300 or so pounds they wanted to make the car a WiFi hotspot. Because I guess then, if you pair your phone to the hotspot, it's their sim being used for data.

There's a company in Kent who'll active the hotspot for £100.....

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Sounds a mess!

You are paying for your phone's data so why not use it? Thumbs Up

my 20Gb per month with roaming for £10 covers more than I would ever need.

Never seen the point of the hot spot, what data allowance does it provide?

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I was just intrigued... I have an old iPhone 13 with a 120GB annual data sim in it (cost £50) which I switch on when the kids are in the car for long journeys, serving purely as a hotspot, for streaming movies or remote playing on their PS5.

But I personally only have one true phone, a work phone, and I have (I think) a 20GB data allowance a month. And I can get pretty close to that if I'm doing a lot of remote working. And I can't connect my phone to my hotspot phone, as then I lose my connection to the car (or so it seems).

Anyway, was just good to understand it.

Just need to buy an Italian data sim for the hotspot phone to keep the kids entertained this summer. The EE one doesn't roam, and they'll eat the data driving to the bottom of Italy & back.

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

The built in data sim, that you'll be asked to renew is used for and IP radio, Spotify, Alexa etc. that you may use directly from Pivi. I'm assuming it'll roam in the EU and isn't subject to any roaming charges...

However, unless you have the WiFi hotspot enabled, your passengers can't use that ...

The SIM used for SOTA and Remote is separate I believe. Data for that SIM can't be shared.

Apple/Google Maps eat data abroad which can be reduced if you download offline maps, but I assume they still reach out for traffic information.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum