Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

Losing coolant, no sign of leak

I’ve been losing coolant at quite a rate - need to top up before most journeys (commute is 50m). I’ve been into 3 different garages and JL dealer who’ve done pressure test, no sign of leak and no visual signs of pink residue anywhere, or suspected head gasket issues. I’ve just had the expansion tank replaced as a last resort but this hasn’t fixed it, After journey I feel like I can smell it burning off. Has anyone experienced similar ?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Do you have rear Air Con?

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

Thank for replying! Have aircon vents in the rear as per the picture below. Not sure if that’s what you mean? Do you think it could be linked to the coolant issue?
  • GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

Do you have a rectangular grille on the rear passenger side inner wheelarch? This is the outlet vent for aircon, I had a coolant leak on mine with no signs of fluid on the ground or anywhere else, it was discovered that one of the engine coolant pipes that goes to the rear had corroded and wwas leaking onto the hot exhaust and evaporating, consequently I could smell hot/burning coolant giving the impression that it was engine fault related.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

No - I don’t have a grill there although the smell is external when I exit the car. How was your issue identified? Was it a pressure test - this hasn’t identified any issue on mine.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

yes smell was only noticable externally, smelt burnt as if it was coming from exhaust exit. Dealer discovered it and sorted under warranty. I guess in your case, if not under warranty, fill coolant header run engine till hot and the scurry about under the car to see if steam any where or where smell is strongest.

• GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

I went for a short drive today and sure enough the low coolant light came on. Looked under the bonnet to try and identify an issue - couldn’t find anything but there was a noise almost like a washing machine on rinse. I’ve tried to research this and seems could be related to a failed water pump.dies anyone have a view on this please?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

irrespective of noise, coolant must be going somewhere. introduce a UV dye into the coolant and search with UV light.

• GAMBLE
    United Kingdom 

Will do thanks - presume any coolant die will be ok regardless of coolant type. I can’t seem to find anything specific to the pink coolant
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 

previous reply lost link, try this,,,Coolant System Leak Detection Dye - [RA-RLD2]

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum