Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Land Rubbish More Like!!!! 😬

Nearly 7 weeks late and now this Censored happens. Absolutely fuming Censored Censored Censored

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 10:39 am. Edited 3 times in total
  • Craigp
    England 

Gutted for you really.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

My wifes livid 😡. Thought I was lying when I told her smokes belching out engine. No engine management light came on too warn me plus the engine temperature gauge was at cold even though been driving for 30 mins when all this happened. It's been a nightmare the whole car thing. Looks like this is my last LR ever now Big Cry

I took a video of the incident which I will be escalating too the very top at LR tomorrow.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 7:23 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Craigp
    England 

We had the usual new car smell of burning but not too bad. Yes you noticed it whilst stopped but no burning eyes just the smell. Done 700 miles no more smell. The one I took for a test drive back in February had only done about 20 miles ended up with the windows open because that smelt of burning.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Car had 30 miles on the clock, when picked up today not happy in the least as my last ones all had under 10 miles on the clock. Yes I know the new smell that you mean, but the fumes were acrid/ acidic like. It was like a volcano spewing out fumes before the eruption. Last thing I would have expected on a brand new car, plus why it never happened earlier today is beyond me?? Car was not even thrashed or floored. Took it easy sitting at 55-65 all day. Not happy. God knows what would have happened if I had thrashed it initially.(not that I am that stupid too do that in the first place)

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 5:50 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

This is a 3.0 Diesel?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes Stu, First Editions only come in a 3 litre diesel. You don't get the 2l diesel or 3l petrol variants in the UK market for some reason.
  • Jacko
    Australia 

Any news from the dealer. My thoughts are with you. This is my first land rover and emotionally i have been up and down like a yo-yo.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

It's 6:55 am in the morning mate. Dealers not open until 9:00 am. Ringing the recovery services so that they can pick the car up from my house shortly and drop of at my local dealer. That's another day I have too take of work today Censored Censored Censored !!!

I have had so much hassle with the car you could write a book about it. Initial deposit paid March 3rd 2016.

Delivery promised March 1st 2017 as thats when the new 2017 registrations were due.

Nearly 7 weeks late on arrival.

Wasted days taken off work, travelling 300 mile round trips.

Censored Censored Censored Censored

I have 30 days under my consumer rights too reject the car. What's worrying me now is if there has been more serious engine damage. Just lead too knock on failures in the coming days.

Just woken up with a sore throat and my brother just rang me saying his throats nipping also due to the fume inhalation yesterday Shocked Big Cry
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Mine had the new car burn smell, plus at about 700 miles we had a clutch type of acid smell that lasted for one journey nothing since...
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    My wifes livid 😡. Thought I was lying when I told her smokes belching out engine. No engine management light came on too warn me plus the engine temperature gauge was at cold even though been driving for 30 mins when all this happened. It's been a nightmare the whole car thing. Looks like this is my last LR ever now Big Cry

I took a video of the incident which I will be escalating too the very top at LR tomorrow.

When you say smoke coming form the engine, is this from the engine bay or the exhaust.
    If its the exhaust the D5's have a new ultra low temp DPF regen that causes a lot of smoke and can happen just after the engine has been started and without having to travel for a distance.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • J77
    Scotland 

forever wrote:
    Mine had the new car burn smell, plus at about 700 miles we had a clutch type of acid smell that lasted for one journey nothing since...

I've had this a very unpleasent smell but nothing since.

What Russell says makes sense, especially as there is no warning lights on and no "visible" signs of something burning.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hi Russell it was coming from the engine bay itself not the exhausts. Was coming out the top end where the windscreen is and around the bonnet sides. When I reluctantly opened the bonnet it was smoking from the bulkhead area, like a volcano. Could not see because it seemed the issue was deep down in the bay, plus with all the smoke i could not see anything. Also not wanting too give the engine more oxygen so I closed the bonnet, as had no fire extinguisher. All I had was bottled water too dampen the smoke which I luckily had as a back up if things turned nasty. Still smoking after 30 mins. Still a strong smell this morning. Am just hoping not too much damage. (My brother had the whole cars wiring loom replaced just after 3 months on the D4 a few years back.) :blub

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 10:55 pm. Edited 4 times in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes I am aware of the new burning smell on new cars as I have had several in the past but when the cabin is getting the fumes inside and smoke bellowing from the engine bay you can safely assume something is not right. Never had an issue like this ever on any car before. Sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Travelled 115 miles no problem. Stopped 3 times during the journey. I would have thought this should have happened initially, not well into my journey. Plus not as if the engine was hot as sat about 65 mph all the way with 3 x 1 hour breaks inbetween. Shocked

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 27th Apr 2017 6:53 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum