Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

LR have had my wife's DS for 5 weeks as it suffers from an acrid, burning chemical smell (colourless odour) that enters the cabin after the engine is warmed up and if you slow down for, say, a traffic light. The smell is really horrid, and has left her with headaches. She has had to get the kids out of the car on one occasion. It started the first week we had the car. She rejected the car but LR are saying there is nothing wrong with it and that it will be back with us this week. If you look on the DS forum there are a few people claiming they have the same issue. I wonder whether the new DPF system on the JLR cars just isn't working in expelling the fumes when it goes through a regeneration process. We haven't had any smoke from the engine bay.......

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Fuel return pipe adrift?
  • J77
    Scotland 

Has the dealer shed any light on what's up with your D5?

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Nope arrived today with local dealer at 1pm but not heard anything.

I doubt they had time too look at it as several others in the queue before mine. Crying or Very sad

Got a FFRR 4.4 litre loan today with a deployable tow bar. It's pretty rapid for such a big beast. Well impressed and alot less body roll than the D5, especially in the corners.

Coincidentally the guy picking it up said his boss has the exact same car as mine, black first edition which is also knackered, and in the garage. He also has had callouts from several D5 owners Shocked

He also said there's a strong burning smell when securing it onto the tow truck. Started too smoke again when I was loading it onto the transporter. The guy shook his head and said if that was his car he would reject it. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 9:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • J77
    Scotland 

Yeah, I think rejection is the route you need to take, the trust is gone.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Am worried it's going too be a knock on effect. God knows the damage it has caused. Plus I wont get a First Edition now if I cancel. Dealer rang me tonight and i told him I was treated like dirt. Car late by 7 weeks. All I got was £50 quid off and a tin of shortbread. They knew full well was for my wife's birthday. So I told him exactly what I thought. Some D5 owners got a bouquet of flowers and others champagne plus there cars not even late. He said he was embarassed but thats no use too me now. All this should have been sorted when I picked up car yesterday. Even charged me for fitting the accessories, plus I said at least you given me the 5 year service plan as compensation. Did not even get an extra £1 off. Pathetic considering on the grand scale of things how I have been messed about.
    Anyway I told him the SVR which I am purchasing after the face-lift next year won't be from them and they have lost a 6 figure sale. Wants a chance too get the car fixed as I said I dont want it back. What happens if it combusts next time I told him with children in it. Even worse I could have caused a major accident through no fault of my own yesterday with potential loss of life. Sad

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 11:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

On the plus side, you made a great decision with the roof bars. They just look right. On the outside mine is the same as yours (minus the fixed tow bar) but I don't have the roof bars and I'm thinking I made the wrong choice now.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Such a shame as it's a stunning looking car and colour, and the short drive I had yesterday was a pleasure. Was really enjoying it until it all went tits up. Big Cry
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks, I think i pulled it off Thumbs Up
    What model have you gone for again?? 😀

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 10:22 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

stuart_f wrote:
    On the plus side, you made a great decision with the roof bars. They just look right. On the outside mine is the same as yours (minus the fixed tow bar) but I don't have the roof bars and I'm thinking I made the wrong choice now.

Hi Stuart I never carry anything on the roof ever, as I always use a trailer. I think the roof bars finish the car off though as looks naked without it. Had them on my D1, D2 and D4.

Yes finishes it off and gives it a sporty stance i think, especially with the 22s Thumbs Up

Was a toss up between silver ones or black and I went for the latter as I saw a black RR with silver rails and looked odd. Also went with black door protectors as I saw silver ones on a black D5 which looked out of place too me, so I just went black for both which would not stick out like a sore thumb so too speak and I think it worked. Would love too see the car with the black alloys on it just too see what it looks like Cool

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 11:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Totally agree with the 'finishing the car off' idea. They make it look less like a run-of-the-mill car and more like a vehicle with some attitude.

On the other hand the FFRR I was loaned wallowed around like a beached whale in comparison to the D5. It was awful when towing, the suspension felt way too soft. Any nodding from the tin tent would last ages on the FFRR and over in a moment on the D5. On the other hand, the FFRR could tow the van at 70 and it felt planted while the D5 feels almost scary at the same speed.

Mine is a 2.0 HSE in black with privacy glass and the deplorable tow bar.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I had FFRR on a twisty country road tonight. Did not flinch. Gripped like superglue and brakes were really good. Not as good as the Brembos on my Sti but hardly any body roll. D5 is like a being in a boat ⛴ in comparison. Sadly I dont own a tin tent but have towed trailers with RRs in the past and no complaints, even on the Autobahn sitting at 100 mph plus. Car never even knew it was towing. Faultless Laughing

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Apr 2017 11:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

stuart_f wrote:
    Totally agree with the 'finishing the car off' idea. They make it look less like a run-of-the-mill car and more like a vehicle with some attitude.

On the other hand the FFRR I was loaned wallowed around like a beached whale in comparison to the D5. It was awful when towing, the suspension felt way too soft. Any nodding from the tin tent would last ages on the FFRR and over in a moment on the D5. On the other hand, the FFRR could tow the van at 70 and it felt planted while the D5 feels almost scary at the same speed.

Mine is a 2.0 HSE in black with privacy glass and the deplorable tow bar.

Ha ha I like the personalised look with the serious attitude.👍 I like how when the cars slammed into access mode the 22s fill the wheel arches up and gives it a menacing stance, plus I went a step further and put light smoke tints on the 2 front windows. Naughty I know but it finishes the car off as it looks daft with tints all around and fronts normal in my opinion. Others may beg too differ no doubt Laughing
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Any news about your smoking car Road Runner?

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hey Max, got her back today at 1pm. No fault found, as nothing flagged up on the diagnostics code reader. Shocked

Funnily enough it was my ex Subaru mechanic who I know really well for the past 15 years who serviced my cars and really knows his stuff. He recognised it was my car so went over it with a fine toothcomb.

Had it up on a ramp, 20 mile test drive, left it running for 30 mins idling and even had the undercarriage plastic off beneath the engine. I even pointed out where the smoke came from but found nothing. He is just as puzzled as this is first for him he said.

Mind you the problem only arose after driving 100 miles plus so will give the car a decent run next weekend.

Touch wood I doesn't happen again, but my wifes not happy taking the kids in it incase something serious goes wrong, so I have stuck in a fire extinguisher just too be on the safe side
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum