Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

DEF is mostly water, but it's very sensitive to temperature. If you leave it in a hot garage, even if factory-sealed, the urea will degrade to ammonia and leach out through the cap or even the walls of the container. In a full container, vapor pressure and a lack of surface area on the liquid slows this process but once it's opened and in a less-than-full container it will degrade faster.

It also crystallizes when exposed to open air, and those crystals may affect the purity of the solution, which could end up giving you a DEF quality warning. If you leave the vehicle to sit for a long time, you also run the risk of it crystallizing in the supply line between the DEF tank and injector, requiring a full replacement of the line or at least a lengthy flush - I had a DEF injector go bad on my Touareg and they had to replace the injector and the supply line because it crystallized solid all the way through back to the pump in the tank.

I'd DEFinitely (sorry) recommend you use the entire container at once, and only buy what you can use in one pour. If you're going on a road trip or overland, it's worth carrying extra to make sure you can get home.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Right thanks for the info one and all. That's what I'll do, wait until I get the warning and then use a whole 5 litre container or two.
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

Reading this thread on a phone so apologies if I messed this in the pages:

Got my first 1429mile countdown warning for adblue so picked up a 10l container full from Halfords.

I had previously thought the little plastic funnel in the glove compartment was for adblue. Turns out it’s some kind of emergency fuel filler funnel.

So - question, is the filler hose universal (is another trip to halfords on the cards?) - I know the bottles come with a filler spout (just watched the video) and a hose is mentioned on the same video for the larger container - where have you folks got yours from please?

http://manuals.jaguarlandrover.com/QR/L494.../index.htm

18MY Yulong White HSE
    I may be a while
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I just use the same funnel that I use for topping up the washer fluid.
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

Thanks jimbg - that’s what I will do then!

18MY Yulong White HSE
    I may be a while
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

just pour slowly and you should have no problems. The emergency fuel funnel essentially mimics the smaller diameter fuel pump nozzle and gives access to the filler tube. I have used this funnel s few times, once to refuel from a gerry can and a few times when the pumps at the filling station had large diameter pump nozzles

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Imbaw wrote:

So - question, is the filler hose universal (is another trip to halfords on the cards?) - I know the bottles come with a filler spout (just watched the video) and a hose is mentioned on the same video for the larger container - where have you folks got yours from please?

http://manuals.jaguarlandrover.com/QR/L494.../index.htm

The filler hose that's on the larger containers isn't universal - or rather, it *is* universal, as it universally doesn't fit most modern DEF ports.

Buy one of the filler containers with the threaded neck and spring-loaded valve, and after you use it, cut the bottom off. Then you can thread it on, and buy the bulk containers with the hose to incrementally fill your homemade funnel, press it down to allow the DEF to drain into the tank. Rinse the old filler bottle with water and keep it. Mine seems to take a hair under 5 gal (US) when it's uncomfortably close to being empty.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

It is probably stating the obvious, but do not leave containers of ad blue in the vehicle for any length of time when the temp is minus 15c or you will have one big ad blue ice cube! Sheep

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • stingray
    Wales 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Our local filling station has an adblue pump with an appropriate nozzle, so using it is just like filling up with fuel. Much cheaper than buying it in bottles too (and less plastic waste, so environmentally better as well).
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum