Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Don’t assume they are full when new.

I hoped, like everyone else that mine was full at pick up (10miles on the clock from factory testing/pdi). After using my free half tank I’d done about 240miles and went to fill up with diesel. Whilst at the garage I decided to buy 10litres of adblue (shell) for about £12 I think it was, I just thought I’d try and top up to see what it was missing, plus I thought I’d just have some in the garage incase I get low (I have a service plan but I’m not losing several hours of my life going to the dealer just for the sake of a few

I managed to get about 5 litres in!!!

Yes I did spill a little, as advised above do not rush, but I didn’t spill that much! After I’d finished I just rinsed it down with water, I then re-checked under the bonet once home and cleaned a few bits of crystalised fluid that has obviously blow out of a few crevices whilst driving home.
  • markwhitt65
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Does nobody else find it ironic that we are all spending time and money going back and forth to the dealer to fill up adblue which reduces the CO2 rating of our cars which should reduce our road tax but doesn’t because our cars are classed as luxury 😤😤😤😤😤😤

Sorry rant over mine has 500 miles range on add blue and it’s the second fill up in only 6500 miles oh and it wants a service in only 2400 miles, I love my 5 but my 4 was way less demanding !!!!

Regards Mark
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Remember that AdBlue has no affect on CO2 emissions (it greatly reduces the much nastier local pollutant NOx and has no affect on road tax/VED rates), while we drive to the dealer only if we choose to do so; adding the fluid is no more difficult than putting windscreen washer fluid in the car and it doesn’t need a trained mechanic to add it.

With it being as cheap as it is, it just cant be worth the running costs to drive out of the way to claim some (expensive) “free” AdBlue.
  • ChrisNussey
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I just refilled mine with 17L at just under 7000km, I expected the Adblue to be full just like water,oils and fuel. I hope it wasn't.

Chris.
    2017 TD6 HSE
  • Optimus
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Resetting DEF indicator

I have done about 16K km and this is the 4th time my DEF has to be replaced. The first time this happened I tried filling the fluid myself but the warning would not reset and I had to take it to the dealership pay $100CAD to get this done. Does anyone know if I were to refill it myself now the warning sign would go away by itself? Thanks!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Not sure about refilling once the warning appears, I have just topped when the range forecast was low..

The range then went up as you would expect.

Maybe do it when a couple of thousand kms to go?
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

my top up warning reset it self, I think I had to turn the car off a couple of times before it disappeared.

I am surprised your dealer is charging you for this, I would have thought it should be a warrenty item. Even the ad blue is meant to FOC

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Craigp
    England 

Is it not only free if you have taken out the service pack. Also i would have thought it should reset on its own. I dont have to take mine in after i get a low fuel warning Laughing
  • MAC OSX
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

DEF System Check.

A concern of mine is that if the DEF system fails its "Startup Check" the vehicle is disabled (a legal requirement). This has been confirmed to me by Land Rover who stated that this is a legal requirement hence will apply to all Diesel vehicles. Not a good scenario if this happens in an isolated location.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

17551 miles and just had my third top up.

Picked the car up from new drove about 3000 miles when I got the warning so it clearly wasn't full to start .
    Second one at about 10000
    Now the 3rd at 17551
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Sounds about the same as mine, about 10 tpom11 k Kim’s between refills, just approaching my security nd . No early service warnings either

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Ed Snow wrote:
    Don’t assume they are full when new.
    Whilst at the garage I decided to buy 10litres of adblue (shell) for about £12 I think it was, I just thought I’d try and top up to see what it was missing, plus I thought I’d just have some in the garage incase I get low (I have a service plan but I’m not losing several hours of my life going to the dealer just for the sake of a few .

Ed, I went 'slightly' more overboard than you in that just after I'd collected my new D5 in April and the friendly dealer being 60 miles away, decided to buy 20 litre of Adblue to keep in my garage and use for topping up.
    I have just looked more closely at the 5 litre containers they came in and it states on the side that it is to be used within 12 months of purchase.
    I bought it in May, also on the top of the container is a manufacturers date of Aug 2017 !!!!
    So I have a choice, use lots and lots of Adblue between now and August this year or going by the other advice, May next year.
    I know what I am going to do but if it is sealed and stored before being sold for a period of time which date would be the 'start of deterioration' the date of manufacture or the date I open the container ? That is assuming it is stored correctly.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

From my experience and sorry I am quoting km you will get a top up warning with a distance to do the refill by. The distance seems to start at 2400 km. This should give you enough time to buy enough ad blue for a complete top up. I recall reading that once opened there is a risk of the ad blue adsorbing moisture and so degrading the fluid. On of the techies on here will be along to correct this. Bottom line for me is since this fluid is critical I would not cut corners . My first top up I did myself the next one which flagged last week will be done at the scheduled service by the dealer at about 24000 km . The first year has been great and apart from the initial problem with the ad blue system (software issue) has been faultless.

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

It would certainly make sense if it stated that it was to be used within 12 months once opened.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

Actually what I was trying to say is that once opened you run a risk of getting degradation . I would be inclined to use it all at once. Best way is to wait for the warning and then use two cans to do a complete top up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum