Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flatcoat
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

DEF / AdBlue

Well thats my first warning up for low DEF / AdBlue with 3500 miles on the clock. "DEF Level Low"

Obviously I don't know how full the AdBlue tank was when I started, but you have to assume full as part of pre-delivery checks....!

If so, not many miles from the AdBlue tank.....!!!! (Apparently 1304 left.

You can check how many miles you can continue before the system won't allow you to re-start the vehicle.

Ignition on (engine NOT running), go to "Vehicle Information", "Next Service" then you can see the miles left on the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Refill.

Apparently, if you have the 5-year Service Plan then ad-hoc top ups are FREE..... just as well.

• Chris
    United Kingdom 

AdBlue Worries

I currently have a Disco 4, 2014 model and have put my order for the Disco 5 on hold as I'm hearing worrying things about the frequency people are actually having to deal with AdBlue top ups.

A friend of mine has a Disco Sport (2015) and was telling me that now the car has done over 16,000 miles he's having to fill up the Adblue every 1,500 miles. Another friend with a VW people carrier is finding that he has doing the same, another friend has a Ford transit and is now having to fill up every 500 miles! (I am going to double check they are filling the DEF tank completely and not just putting a litre in - but I'm confident they are putting at least 10 litres in the Disco Sport).

I have spoken to the dealer about my concerns and he says as the Disco 5 hasn't been out very long they have not real world stats to share with me but assure me. He says the Disco has a 17.8 litre DEF (Adblue) tank and so you should get around 500 miles for every litre which gives 8,900 miles max before needing a top up. They caveat this with "depending on how you drive" and guess that in the real world you will probably get about 7,000miles per top up.

Assuming that your Disco 5 was full when you collected it and according to your mileage of 3,500 you're only getting around 196miles (plus a few more miles for the remaining Adblue still in your tank) per litre of AdBlue. That's crap - I would be very interested to see what your dealer has to say about this.
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mines ok

Click image to enlarge

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Chris
    United Kingdom 

That's what you'd expect, I see you've done 1,060 miles. How long have you had the car?

I'd also be interested to see what the reading is when you've done about 4,000 miles.

Discovery 4 HSE Owner - Discovery 5 HSE Si6 ordered.
  • J77
    Scotland 

My D4 got roughly 1000 miles to a litre, so they must have increased the amount injected into the system to lower the Nox further than the D4.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Chris wrote:
    That's what you'd expect, I see you've done 1,060 miles. How long have you had the car?

I'd also be interested to see what the reading is when you've done about 4,000 miles.

It's free for five years.

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Talking to a chap last night in the pub who is a mechanic of sorts, he said that he had heard in some instances the Adblue goes solid or thick in the tank as a result the sensors get confused,
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

My last D4 had less than half a tank full of AdBlue in it when it was handed to me and a friend's new RRS ran to a warning of < 1,000 miles remaining before he hit 4,000 miles.

I'm convinced that they are being handed over with only partially filled tanks and very few owners are checking.

Last edited by Flat Earther on 2nd May 2017 4:18 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • PeterT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Yes, this was confirmed by my LR dealer. Cars are only sent out with a few thousand miles worth of AdBlue and checking the level is not part of the PDI list compiled by LR.

However, as mentioned in another post, BP now have pumps on their forecourts selling the stuff at 69p/litre. The adaptor on the end of the hose is like the end of the plastic bottles. I haven't used it yet but assuming it meets LR spec and the tank can't be overfilled that's exactly how I plan to deal with topping up as the dealer is 40 miles further away than my local BP petrol station and no booking in/hanging around?
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Would you expect a full tank of fuel when you pick your new car up? I would not.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

It's disingenuous to say that the tank will last between services and that it will be topped up for free at the first service if it leaves the forecourt with very little in the tank.
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

It won't last between services, anyway, if the range is only about 9,000 miles.

Mine was, it seems, checked and filled at PDI, as it arrived with over 8,500 miles range. The sales guy has earlier confirmed that they don't know how much is filled at the factory.

It would be nice if the Land Rover service standard was to deliver new cars to the customer with full liquids all round.
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Would you expect the engine oil to be full when you collect the car, or the washer fluid? Of course. If this is really true about half empty tanks,, then there has to be a reason beyond the money - most of us will buy the service plan so there is no great saving for LR (and I imagine the dealer bills the the time to replenish the ad blue so it actually ma cost the,m not to send it out full).

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • J77
    Scotland 

I expect a full tank of AdBlue, they say top ups are free if you have a service pack, well I purchased the service pack so top the tank up for free.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Chris
    United Kingdom 

I agree with Phil B, it should have full washer fluid, oil, hydraulic fluid, AdBlue etc when you pick it up.

I'm not concerned that it's free in the 5 year service plan. It'll cost me more in time having to try and book it into the dealer then having to drive to the dealer, hang around while they do it then drive back.

I'm hoping that the reason so many people are getting the DEF warning early is because the dealer has not filled it up properly at delivery rather than a major problem with the AdBlue system itself. I'd be really ticked off if I have to go to the dealer every 3,000+ miles to fill up the AdBlue. Evil or Very Mad

Discovery 4 HSE Owner - Discovery 5 HSE Si6 ordered.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum