Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JackW
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

US orders

I've had a 2017 D5 on order for almost two months in the Southeastern USA - Atlanta, Georgia region.
    It is supposed to built this month for delivery somewhere in the June-July time frame. I ordered it sight unseen but after a ton of research on this and other sites and reading every review I could find. I've been telling Land Rover USA for years that if they would bring a diesel in to this country I would buy one.

Well - they have gone and done it so true to my word I placed the order for a new Discovery as soon as my local dealer started accepting orders. I had considered going with the Range Rover Sport but the interior was just too cramped and the functionality of the D5 won me over.

My current main car is a 2007 LR3 (or Discovery 3 to the rest of the world) with the 4.4 liter V-8 in HSE trim. It has over 136,000 miles on it and has been a real pleasure to own. Like all Land Rovers it has had a few faults but it has been generally reliable and relatively inexpensive to own.

I've owned eighteen Land Rovers over the years from a Series 1 80" to a bunch of Series IIA's, 5 Range Rover classics, a Discovery 1 and a Defender 90. I'm planning on buying a new Defender whenever they become available (hopefully 2019) so the D5 will probably only have a two year stay in my driveway.

Although now that I have seen one in person and I think the styling is a little awkward - particularly around the rear I think it will eventually become more familiar. I really hope the next Defender is more "boxy" however with shorter front and rear overhangs. I use my Land Rovers to tow a caravan, a utility trailer and a car trailer and as daily transportation. I'm really looking forward to the promised fuel economy of the diesel. I really like diesels and two of my other Land Rovers are diesel.

My new Discovery 5 will be Fuji White with a black interior and headliner, HSE spec with the Capability Plus, Terrain Response 2, Advanced Towing package and Cold Weather Package. I had to get the seven seat package to be able to have the locking rear diff, ATPC and advanced towing options but that just means it will be worth more on trade when the new Defender arrives.

There is a lot of controversy over here in the USA about the exterior styling of the new Discovery - its been described as looking like a Hyundai or a Ford Explorer and there are a lot of complaints that the whole Land Rover line is becoming too homogenized with a "corporate styling identity". Of course the Discovery 3/4 was controversial when it was introduced and now its showing an increased demand now that its replacement is on the way. We all hope that the new Defender will be more distinctive and retain a unique look.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Congrats, I ordered my diesel D5 in October. She was built on April 7th, and is sitting in the twilight zone, as it's not loaded on a ship yet. Delivery was supposed to be May 17th, and has now slipped to first week in June. I wonder if JLR is stock piling for a massive launch date in the US? Drove the demo my dealer (Bob Moore LR, OKC, they Rock!), and I actually like the rear end.
  • Jacko
    Australia 

Hi Rockcyper is their a way to track your car. Mine was built on 28th April. and like yours I assume sitting in nowhere land
  • Rockcypher
    United States 

Yes, your dealer can track it for you. Mine sends regular updates and confirmed tonight that all US bound trucks are being held for the "official " launch date. I just want my truck!
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Mine was ordered Oct 2016. Build date is May 5th and scheduled to arrive in eastern Canada on June 16th for pick up on June 21. It appears to be one of the first to arrive in Canada.

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • JackW
    United States 

Official Launch Day in the US is May 22nd.
  • nerve64
    United States 

Sales in the US preceded said official launch date. LR US website provides an inventory of all Discos currently in stock and available for purchase at dealerships across the country. My first on-road sighting was 2 weeks ago.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 

Are you sure about sales preceding launch date? The vehicles showing up on JLR's website are for dealer stock, and according to my dealer "are not to be sold". As far as D5's in the wild, the vehicles used for the Utah press events have been allocated to regional JLR rep's to drive. Is it possible you saw one of these or maybe someone on a test drive?

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Rockcypher
    United States 

I stand corrected, after telling me they would not sell their 1st D5, my dealer went and sold theirs.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • sportcoupe
    United States 

Jack,

I also was in search of a new diesel SUV and only Land Rover offered one. The "others" have been pulled by EPA.

I ordered at first opportunity mid Jan 2017 with delivery expected July 2017.

My new Discovery 5 will be Kaikoura Stone, Black Design package, with acorn/black interior and black headliner, HSE spec with the Capability Plus, Terrain Response 2, Advanced Towing package and Cold Weather Package.

I took Jack's advice and got the seven seat package to be able to have the locking rear diff, ATPC and advanced towing options.

Local dealer near Savannah, GA received their demo D5 almost 4 weeks ago. I was hoping for diesel demo but they received a petrol demo. I still very much enjoyed the test drive and off-road demonstration on their obstacle course.

Ordered - HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Kaikoura Stone 20" Black pack + more.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • JackW
    United States 

The Land Rover dealer north of Atlanta has a diesel demo - I'm going to go test drive it this week. I drove a Range Rover Sport diesel off road at the Biltmore House introduction course last fall and got to experiment with the ATPC - it was pretty cool - like cruise control for off road.

Here are a couple of pictures I took at the local dealer last week showing the size comparison of a D3 versus the D5 - my white 2007 LR3 is parked next to the TDV6 2017 model. The first picture is a shot of the TDV6 engine- looks to me like there is enough room for the Ingenium inline 6 in there.

• roverdawgpac
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

Didn't place an order but will look to buy a spec or cancelled order (some are cancelling in favor of the Velar). Told June 1st is the unofficial "launch date" for US sales. Drove a 2005 LR3 HSE for the last 12 years and really looking forward to the D5.
  • Llama24
    United States 

Dealer just updated, my car was built 1 week earlier than my original date, and scheduled delivery is 1 week earlier as well. Not yet shipped, it's supposed to deliver about 1 month from now. To get to CA, it should be loading up soon. I still haven't seen one on the road.
  • JackW
    United States 

According to my dealer mine is supposed to arrive around the 29th of May - a little over a week away.
    I'll keep you posted on whether it really does arrive on time.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 

My delivery date has slipped from late May to mid-June to now, Late June. Dealership says they are doing "extensive quality control " at the ports. Doesn't fill me with confidence, and rather annoying as I ordered in October, and appears unsold trucks will hit the States first with "launch date".

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum