Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Dash cam

I would like to fit my dash cam that was previously fitted in my D4. I have identified a 12v feed from the fuse box which livened up with the ignition. Quite a number seemed to have permanent 12v on them. Now trying to pick up an earth. Sounds easy dosnt it well it isn't. Anybody done this and where did you get yours?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Which fuse box you going for and there are loads of earth nuts dotted everywhere

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

The fuse box behind the glove box. I can only get to one earth point but can't undo the screw it's really tight. May have to try again with a bigger wrench. Tried putting scotch lock on but too fiddly. Certainly not as easy as the D4. Also 2 attempts before I got the right fuse piggy back thingy.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Craig are you using the Road Hawk , Black Vue or Road Angel Halo mate.??

Just need some feedback as too what the best one is just now Thumbs Up
  • Craigp
    England 

Nextbase 512g. Had it about a year good picture can't really say much more.
    Apart from now fitted, used a little more pressure to loosen off a earth screw that I didn't think would go.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Where are you fitting it?

Im going to be fitting my road angel up near the rear view mirror and assuming (mabye naively) there will be an earth bolt as per the D3/4 to pick up on so just need to route a switched live from a piggy backed fuse..
  • Craigp
    England 

Yes mine's up by the rear view mirror . I will let you know what fuse to use as quite a few live all the time. Also the fuses are a different type to the D4 much smaller. Picked up earth behind glove box existing earth screw top right. Hope this helps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Craigp wrote:
    Nextbase 512g. Had it about a year good picture can't really say much more.
    Apart from now fitted, used a little more pressure to loosen off a earth screw that I didn't think would go.

Never heard of them but will look them up. Been using Road Angel products for the last 14 years and they are the bees knees in my opinion, especially their speed camera detectors. The reason why i am hedging towards the RA halo is that you get both front and rear cameras, plus will be easy too tap into a supply from the rear cigarette lighter sockets for the rear camera. Usually I would have had my camera detector and camera hardwired on the day I received the car, but with all the hassle I have had and not being sure what's happening with it, I have not installed anything in it yet.
    Talking of speed cameras, the alerts on the infotainment are only warning me of certain static cameras whereas the road angel picks them all up. Anyone had this issue?? Confused
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Re: Dash cam

Craigp wrote:
    I would like to fit my dash cam that was previously fitted in my D4. I have identified a 12v feed from the fuse box which livened up with the ignition. Quite a number seemed to have permanent 12v on them. Now trying to pick up an earth. Sounds easy dosnt it well it isn't. Anybody done this and where did you get yours?

I spent ages on this! The glove box light is a switched earth. One of the wires (I can't remember which but it's easy to work out with a meter) is a permanent earth. I used a positap to tap into it. If you have problems identifying, PM me and I'll go and look.

Have you tested the dashcam? If you have the infra red reflecting screen, you will probably need a GPS repeater to bring the GPS signal into the car.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks pdes but all sorted now. Used spare fuse slot No51. As previously stated this comes live when ignition on. The fuses are micro2. Someone has put a link to a company supplying the piggyback fuse feed. ( It may even have been you) also ordered some fuses from them with postage about £9.
    On aside there dosnt appear to be a fuse removal tool in the fuse box well not in the one behind the glove box.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

I thought the request was to identify an earth. Are you getting the GPS signal?

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

Sorry mentioned in the post above, I managed to use a earth point top right. I couldn't previously undo the screw due to it being really tight. And poor access. I don't know if the GPS signal works not really tried it yet just did a quick power up. Will check tomorrow.
  • Craigp
    England 

Checked out yesterday and yes getting a GPS signal. Very Happy
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Well done! I had to install a repeater to get both the Blackview and radar detector GPS to work Evil or Very Mad

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Craigp wrote:
    Thanks pdes but all sorted now. Used spare fuse slot No51. As previously stated this comes live when ignition on. The fuses are micro2. Someone has put a link to a company supplying the piggyback fuse feed. ( It may even have been you) also ordered some fuses from them with postage about £9.
    On aside there dosnt appear to be a fuse removal tool in the fuse box well not in the one behind the glove box.

Which fuse did you use for the permanent live?

Cheers
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum