Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• sportcoupe
    United States 

jimbg wrote:
    It was an option that you had to spec

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/incont...ecure.html

I don't see where I spec that option in the United States.

http://rules.config.landrover.com/jdxl/en_us/l462_k17/

Ordered - HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Kaikoura Stone 20" Black pack + more.
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

neilk wrote:
    Yes - my Wife's Evoque has GPS journey tracking and telemetry (mileage, fuel, fluids, service state etc) but the old generation infotainment and no SIM. I don't have the secure option but do have the SIM which to the best of my knowledge is used only for the apps, map data, hotspot, search etc but not the data the remote app itself uses. It really would make no sense for LR's monitoring service to rely on that as it would fail if you had a valid SIM but had hit your data cap.

SOS calls don't need a call contracted SIM anyway.

I do agree a professional can circumvent this but we must be close to the point whereby the car can be rendered useless when stolen by this technology without an additional premium to pay.

My tracker used an Orange sim card, who were the network provider.

If the car was stolen, I could send a text to the car from my mobile, and basically it would cut the engine out there and then, rendering it useless. This according to the manual could be carried out even if I was abroad.

Other useful features were the anti jacking function, which again would alert me via text if someone had attemped to load it onto a flatbed lorry, plus the speed monitoring function. If another driver exceeded the limit set by myself, I would receive texts. Also if the car battery was low it would alert me via text, plus I could monitor the car if it was away getting serviced and where it was parked.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 25th May 2017 7:11 am. Edited 2 times in total
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Let's hope they wouldn't be driving past a school when you cut their engine, braking and steering then - you could face a spell inside for that Shocked

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Luckily I never ever had to use the engine cut out feature. Mind you chances are if the car was stolen it would more likely be 2 am in the morning, so chances are no school would be open, but you have a very valid point all the same if it was stolen during the day. Car also has rolling code, so if they did manage to hot wire it without the key fob it would quickly stall. I do like the system where they install Flame Throwers on the undersides of BMW's in South Africa, but I am sure that would land you in a prison cell Laughing
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum