Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Tracker Systems

Not sure if anyone has touched on the subject before?

Has anyone installed a tracker on their D5 for insurance purposes, as i am aware that some companies demand them, and will not entertain you if a tracker is not fitted. Likewise some companies premiums are sky high if no tracker is fitted.

My last 4 cars all came with an RAC TRACKSTAR fitted from the factory and i never had any issues with it. Was a really good system.

Any other brands recommended if fitted.??? Thumbs Up
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

its got a built in tracker, the car can be located and reported stolen via the mobile app as well
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well thats what i initially thought that it has a built in tracker, subject to subscription, but was told otherwise, by another dealer that it doesnt Rolling Eyes

Maybe i should admit defeat and finally consult the HANDBOOK after all Laughing

Its possible that the lower specs dont come with a tracker but the higher specs do ???

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 24th May 2017 4:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It was an option that you had to spec

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/incont...ecure.html
  • forever
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

Unless you had a first edition, as it came with it Smile
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

jimbg wrote:
    It was an option that you had to spec

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/incont...ecure.html

Cheers for the clarification Jim - been 6 months plus since i looked at the cars initial specification, plus i definately never added it as an extra.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 24th May 2017 4:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

forever wrote:
    Unless you had a first edition, as it came with it Smile

Shocked
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

The original LR tracker is a little pointless, as it won't work anymore if the SIM is removed. Will be the first thing the bad guys will do...

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Hi Max,

Cheers for telling me.....and the bad guys ...that.

I wasn't aware..... but it's always good to share vulnerabilities.

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • max099
    Austria 

Well, I'm sure the bad guys already know that and are really happy about the help from LR Twisted Evil
    But even fixed trackers are no problem. A GSM jammer is part of the basic equipment of every "good" bad guy. Laughing

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I am not sure that is true. The GPS positioning data used in the remote App does not use the SIM card for data connection. Presumably this is what they use for their tracking service as the other car telematics work including the SOS functionality without a SIM. (LR have a separate data and voice connection to enable that which is included in the app subscriptions).
    GSM jamming could still block this but it will be harder to bypass and the car will reconnect when the jamming ceases as the capability is deeply embedded in the car.
    The dedicated tracking systems are a hybrid of GPS location and a local radio signal that police cars can detect and the various Thatcham certifications require a combination of the two approaches.
  • max099
    Austria 

Are you sure there is a SOS functionality without the connectivity pack? This means that there would have to be another fixed SIM built in the car. I highly doubt that, but I did not dig into that.

About jamming the tracker: the bad guy turns it on, steals the car, drives the car to his garage and disconnects the battery. He turns off the jammer only after disabling the car's electronics.

These guys are pros - they know the vulnerabilities of the car they are after. Sadly there aren't many systems they can't crack and hack. The usual trackers will scare away bad Tom, Dick and Harry only.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

Yes - my Wife's Evoque has GPS journey tracking and telemetry (mileage, fuel, fluids, service state etc) but the old generation infotainment and no SIM. I don't have the secure option but do have the SIM which to the best of my knowledge is used only for the apps, map data, hotspot, search etc but not the data the remote app itself uses. It really would make no sense for LR's monitoring service to rely on that as it would fail if you had a valid SIM but had hit your data cap.

SOS calls don't need a call contracted SIM anyway.

I do agree a professional can circumvent this but we must be close to the point whereby the car can be rendered useless when stolen by this technology without an additional premium to pay.
  • max099
    Austria 

Can you access the Evoque's GPS journey tracking and telemetry data remotely?

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 

Yes - journey logging as well as car status without a SIM card.

Just checked and the SOS functionality is definitely separate but it only sends location data when an emergency is detected. The car has a dormant SIM exclusively for this purpose that is independent of the other systems in the car. These systems will be mandatory in 2018 for all new cars and would not work if they required an up to date sim.

It seems the D5 has three different GSM connections, the Data SIM, the SOS one and whatever they use for the remote app.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum