Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

yes - newer cars do seem to take longer to cool down in my experience

I believe it is a environmental / economy thing

to cool a hot car down very quickly requires a very powerful system (larger , heavier and more expensive ) to save money and weight possibly a smaller system is fitted

I also have the LR windscreen sun protector, which works very well

On Sunday whilst parked in Eastbourne in full sun all day ( my car is black, black and black everywhere ) tit was bl00dy hot inside, 5 minutes driving on max air con and max cooled seats and everything was perfect. thats good enough for me.
  • Craigp
    England 

As it happens someone started a similar thread on another site. Although I'm assuming it is a HSE however the A/C unit is probably the same.

JBay

Re: Climate Control (no software) issuesReport this postQuote

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 am

Yes. I moved to setting to powerful. It did help a little, but still the same problem. The auto climate is not accurately setting the temperature in the car at all. If I set the sport version to 70 degrees, not only does it cool the whole car to 70, but I need to increase the auto temperature to 75 because the inside gets too cold. A MB I have works the same and so did the two previous range rovers I had. This is the first expensive car that the climate control simply doesn't work. In addition, the 3rd zone is a complete mess and nothing comes out the side vents no matter what I put the temperature to.

The service manager just called me saying my car will be ready and nothing is wrong with it because all the new ones are the same. So, I will now need to contact Corp and possibly file a class action suit against them because I carry passengers and my dog in the back and this car will not properly cool down the car for anyone to survive. 

On another note: my experience with all land Rover dealerships has been very poor. So I am not surprised they won't help....

It's 117 outside today and I am afraid to get my car back tomorrow....
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

hi

when you say 3rd zone, do you mean the vents on the C pillars in the boot area, or the ones for the 2nd row seats on the door pillars

In my previous x 2 Discovery Sport HSE the Door pillar 2nd row vents were Censored , and pointless
    in my Discovery Sport Lux and my D5 Lux the Door pillar and 3rd row vents work very well indeed.
  • Craigp
    England 

Hi Pcheaven the above is not my post just copied and pasted from another site.

However I have enhanced my car by adding the fan pack to keep the dog happy, now there is no centre blower. Clearly nearly £50k to have decent ventilation is not enough.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

agreed its very disappointing that such an expensive car, with its target audience and their typical usage
    in mind does not have 3rd row ventilation as standard. The cabin is just too large to not have it.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Well have just started my car up ( via the app of course! Laughing ) and the outside temperature is 26 degrees ( car says 33 degrees ).

It has the sun directly onto the drivers side and I have just checked the air from each vent.

There is plenty of air blasting from all the vents, including the roof ones above the second row and the vents in the boot.

What is quite noticeable after it had been running for a minute or so was the different air temperatures from each vent.
    The front ones and the 2nd row door pillar vents were cool.

The roof vents and rear were warmish. I put this down to the ducting having a long run and adjacent to the external body.

After a another minute or so they started to cool, with the 3rd row vent of the sunny side of the car taking longer.

It looks like the row 2 roof and row 3 side vents have a lot of ducting to cool down before any effect is felt in the cabin.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

yes, thats my experience, the extended ducting means it is longer before really cool air come out from 2nd row roof vents, though 3rd row (zone 4 I think ) seems to cool very quickly
  • JBay
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

That was a copy of my post from another forum site.

I have the gas HSE model. It has the 3 zone (two front, one 2nd row) option, not the 4 zone (two front and two 2nd row). To be clear, there is no zone or controls for the 3rd row nor is there any vents (guess LR doesn't care about the people in the 3rd row...).

I looked at the 4 zone model at another dealer. The vents in the ceiling don't work very well either.

Basically, the dealer tested my car against a new car. Dealer says nothing is wrong with it because it operates like the new car. BUT, there is obviously something very wrong with the car or the design of the AC and the Auto climate function. There is barely any air coming out the side vents in the 2nd row - even on Lo. And you have to use the the two dash vents to help the 2nd row passengers get cool. No real air is getting to the 3rd row (except for what is coming from the 2 front dash vents). And there are no center vents for the 2nd row passengers.

The other problem - and this is the original problem I brought the car in for - is the auto climate function. In ANY car on the market (not just luxury), when you set the Auto Climate number to say 72 degrees, the car adjusts the fan and air temperature to force the cabin to become 72 degrees inside the car. In this car, in hot weather, I only have the options of going from Lo to 59 degrees. If it is 100 degrees outside (117 today) and I set the dial to 70, the fan and air temp will NEVER cool the cabin to 70. I need to have it at Lo, then move to 59 just to get the fan speed down. If I move it to 70, then the heat starts coming out!!! In addition, if the 3rd zone is set to 75 and the front two zones are at 59, heat comes out the bottom vents, still nothing out the side vents and the front two dash vents start blasting cold air! This is the absolute worst design I have ever seen in ANY car. The two RR's I had worked perfectly as well as the loaner 2017 Discovery Sport. In fact, on the Disco Sport, when setting to 70 degrees auto, it starts to get too cold in the entire cabin and I need to turn it to 76 (which is what I have to do in a MB I have).

I typically have a passenger in the 2nd row (my disabled dad) and sometimes have my small dog in the cargo area (3rd row seats folded down). When it is over 100 degrees, the 2nd row and 3rd row/cargo is unbearable in this car. And of course, the dealer says nothing is wrong with the whole system. This is why I think we should all file a suit against LR. This is completely unacceptable and can kill people and animals in a desert environment.

And let's not forget this is the 3rd most expensive 4x4 on the market!!! I HATE Land Rover for not testing this car in a desert environment. And now I am stuck with this piece of Censored for the next 5 years (when it is paid off and worth absolutely nothing). Big Cry
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

it does sound like you need the 4 zone climate, which is an option. Really it should be standard in a car with this large a cabin

4 - Zone - Climate Control

Whatever the weather outside, the temperature inside All-New Discovery is always just right. The vehicle features a climate control system which is based on class-leading technology and has been tested in real-world conditions in temperatures ranging from -40 to +50°C. A premium four-zone system is available, which has separate climate controls for driver, front passenger and each side of the rear cabin. With its independent heating and cooling capability, the system offers a significant improvement in rear seat luxury, with multiple outlets at face, foot and hip level.

Its what I have, and it works very well throughout the car. All vents are very productive with a good air flow.
  • JBay
    United States 

Pcheaven - then you are a special person....I have already stated, I played with the 4 zone at another dealer and the side vents in the 2nd row have little to no air coming out of them. The roof vents are "ok" and the floor vents work fine on heat (not cool). But, there is no way in hell the 2nd row is comfortable or the 3rd row is even bearable when it is 100+ degrees outside. And the service manager has compared my car to another D5 at the dealer and "says" it works the same as mine so there is nothing wrong with the car. And now that I have signed the paperwork, I can't just throw it back and get the 4 zone as you noted. So, I just have to have the car in Auto Lo the entire time and point all vents to the rear of the car so everyone it in doesn't die of heat exhaustion....

And to be blunt - you must either work for LR or have multiple dealers near you in the UK. In the States, the dealers are limited (and in some cases - only one in a city) and don't give a rats a$$ about customer support. I even called LR corp in the USA three times and no one ever gets back to me.

Also, I wanted to upgrade my seats to the cool flow. It already has the heated vents in the front and rear and would seem to me it is just a software upgrade for cool. But - nope - LR won't even quote me a price. I HATE this company!!!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

nope, dont work for a dealer, my cars air con just works

Also, I fail to understand you logic, you live in a desert, understand the need for rear vents and even tested them, but then purchased a car without them

Its not me thats special
  • JBay
    United States 

pcheaven - I didn't mean special as in "retarded". I meant as in a "special case".

But, for me, I am probably "special" in the retarded way. The dealers in the States use the typical wording "we have SO many customers who are buying this car and you will be lucky if you can get one in 6 months..." crap. I only had a 3 day offer on my trade in and was forced to purchase the demo car if I wanted to have a D5 at all. And the demo car had the 3 zone option with no cooling seats. So, I had no choice. I could have waited I guess for 6 months, but by that time, I would have probably purchased another RR which actually works fine.

As for your car - please let me know if you are in a hot environment or in mostly cold UK. Also, if you have multiple dealers to take your car to. Also, how do you get a hold of someone at Corp in the UK.

Thanks.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Unfortunately 4 zone is really the answer, it works really well and today we were in the mid 80's and the air from all the vents is cold after a minute or so.

There is no problem with the quantity of cold air being pumped out from ALL the vents, and there are a lot!!

I am sure it would cope with 100 degrees. Is there not some way you can get your dealer to take it back and get a car with 4 zone?
  • JBay
    United States 

I am 99% confident LR won't do that. The dealers are independently owned and they would lose a lot of money due to the horrible depreciation on these cars. Even though I only have 600 miles on it and being two weeks old (it had 300 miles on it when I got it due to being the demo car), they would probably lose at least $10k. I even called LR Corp to ask a technical person to help me figure out about the design and they refused to let me talk with anyone and basically said I was an idiot for buying the car if it didn't work in a hot environment. So, I am f&cked....
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Jbay, I have asked the site owner to set up a Customer Relations section for this forum, we have them on the D4, RRs, etc

There is a person called Amelia there who very helpful.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum