Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Dual battery

What have people installed as a dual battery charging system and where have you put your second battery?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

This is easier with a 5 seat D5, where you can put it under the boot floor. I guess in the UK they only have 7 seaters, in which case this is not an option. Under the bonnet of a TD6 there is still space for a second battery.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have done it.

It depends which engine you have, but with the 256bhp tdv6, you can get a battery tray that goes on the RHS in front of the suspension turret (opposite the air box).

The tray is made by Wild Bear 4x4. It is really nicely made.

I put a post on here a year ago about it when I was installing my discreet winch.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for that.
    What systems have you both used for the dual battery charging?

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I got the charging system from traxide.

The model depends on you use.

I got the usi-160 as I wanted a dual battery to run my winch.
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

If you dont have 4 zone climate then there is space in the left hand rear next to the third row seat, here is a vid to show

2019 HSE LUX
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

I have the four zone system so dont have that option

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Russel, which engine do you have? If you have the same as me, I will send you pictures as my installation is really neat and takes no interior space on the vehicle.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

I have the 3.0 diesel TDV6

• Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

nebc100, would you please post your pictures to the forum? I looked on the wild bear website and couldn’t find a battery tray offered?, did they discontinue it? I have a td6, and am interested in a secondary battery, may be a function of fewer miles during COVID, but getting concerned about low battery warnings. Zero degree Fahrenheit temps seem to really tax the td6...thanks

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Jarse
    Australia 

I have an MY20 SD6, 5 seater.

My solution was a portable option, as we use the battery and fridge outside the car when camping, etc. I fitted a Redarc BCDC1225D (with lithium profile) under the storage floor, and fitted the solar input anderson plug alongside the 12 pin trailer socket.

I purchased a 120Ah Lithium battery from a merchant over here, and fitted it to a Hard Korr battery box. I installed a Victron BMV812 monitor and shunt to the box. The advantage of that is that I can have accurate battery information no matter where I charge it.

I have a fridge slide which I fitted to a false floor on the driver's side, and the battery box is tethered to the floor between the slide and 2nd row seats. It's a perfect fit.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum