Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• NickHoward
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Apple CarPlay

Evening all, newbie here!

I'm a long term LR owner (Disco 1, 2, Defender 90, 110) and have just graduated to my first D5!

Its a MY17 HSE with InControl Touch Pro (19C), and has various slots including one for a SIM card. Does this mean I can get Apple CarPlay (I couldn't find it on the test drive) and if so, how do I go about it?

Many more questions to follow I'm sure, bear with me!

Nick
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

my 2017 HSE has a SIM card, it had "free" data or something for 3 months, I never signed up for the service. ACP works when you plug you iPhone into one of the USB ports. If it is not working it could mean you need a software up0date but 19C seems good so it should work.

I am not that conversant with IT type stuff so I may be wrong!

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

The sim slot allows you to install a data sim, (most seem to use 3 network prepaid for 12mths) I do. from this you can use that data to access internet features via Disco's screen. Apple car play is iphones version of android, install it on your phone and get playing, either bluetooth or plugged into cars USB port, sim and usb under centre armrest lid. when hard wired can use phones sim.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

CarPlay is built into iOS so no need to install anything on your iPhone. One of your home screens (swipe left) will show a button for Apple CarPlay and one for Android Auto if you have the Smartphone Pack enabled. Simply plug the phone in one of the USB ports under the centre cubby and go to the CarPlay settings on the phone to set it up. CarPlay nor Android Auto won’t work over Bluetooth or wirelessly. Needs a cable. Best an Apple cable for less issues.

As you have an HSE and the SIM slot you should be able to get an upgrade to the latest IMC (InControl) version and have the Smartphone Pack enabled by the dealer due to the car having had InControl Apps as part of its spec. Apps was abandoned and replaced by the Smartphone Pack. Or just ask them to enable SOTA (software over the air) and then you should be able to download the IMC updates. You’ll need a data SIM to do this or connect the car to your home Wi-fi. As others have mentioned the Three Pre-paid data SIM seems to be the best value and cheaper bought from Jeff Bezos and his little company shop on line Wink

If the car is out of warranty they may charge you labour for this upgrade or activation of SOTA. SOTA activation is a 5 minute job so try that route 1st. TBH I think dealers are now not allowed to update IMC versions unless it’s part of a LR tech recommend fix. It’s all SOTA now.

Hope this helps.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

iPhone not recognised

So, couple of steps forward and couple back!

I have plugged the phone in (using "official" Apple cable) and selected car play on the ICP, but it says phone not found and to plug into the USB socket. Bit frustrating.

Do I need a SIM card activating before all of this will work?

How can I tell if I have the smartphone pack enabled (and is this just software)? I had assumed so because I have the ACP option on the ICP.

Need more time to play!

Nick
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

Could be software related. Maybe worth updating to the latest version.
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

Car is on 20B and iPhone (X) is on 14.1, but still no joy.

Frustrating!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Try making sure that the phone is unlocked the first time you plug it in. Fresh start of the car, i.e. a fully rebooted system. And don’t be tempted to select Apple CarPlay. Let the car find your phone first and give you any prompts.

The latter point is important in both MY20 D5s that I have. Occasionally it doesn’t find the phone immediately, but give it a minute or two and it will. If I try to select it through the screen, it will never work. iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 14.1.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

Still no joy (with either iPhone) - not sure what else to try
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve yet to use it more than once. Pity I couldn’t gift it to you. I just don’t like music in the car,
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Nick, just a double check. You’re using one of the two USBs by the centre armrest? Not the one under the sliding cover (this one does not allow CarPlay).

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Ok, the last things I can think of for now.

Does the car show in the iPhone under Settings> general> CarPlay? Mine shows four Discoveries and they all are enabled to work with the phone unlocked.

Is your phone connected by Bluetooth as well? I would make sure it is.

On that same phone settings screen, it suggests using voice control in the car to setup CarPlay. I’ve never done this, but I’ve only driven MY19s and MY20s. Your software in the car is the same as mine. But still could be worth a try.

I would also properly restart the iPhone, and again do all of this once the car has been shutdown for at least half an hour.

Next step would be the dealer, but pot luck on getting one who is either technical or has happened to have seen the problem before.

• NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

OK, so after further investigation I'm even more confused.

I am trying both of the USBs in the centre console, both provide power to the phone (so I know they are connected to something and the cable works), but neither will allow ACP to work. Nor will they allow the phone apps to connect.

Also, try as I might (with three different SIM cards) I can't get the mobile data to connect - I've got a couple of 3 SIM cards and an EE one.

I'm going to give up for a while and try over the weekend!
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Hi,

Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same problem! We have menu for android auto but when i plug the usb in get the same message you are receiving that no device is connect??

Hoping you may have found the solution?
  • NickHoward
    United Kingdom 

I'm afraid not, still searching for a solution
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum