Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Do you have Rear Diff Lock?

Do you all order the Active Rear Locking Differential or the Capability Plus Pack? I did not and know have some concerns after watching some LRD5 off-road videos. Was that a big mistake?
    What do you think? Is it a must-have option or it is fine without it? I doubt I will do super offroad hill climbing or stone crawling, but in some cases will go off the road into the mud and forest of course.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Not needed - it will be fine without. The locking rear diff just makes 'extreme' off-roading easier. A Disco without will get to all the same places, it'll just need a little more oomph!

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: Do you have Rear Diff Lock?

Arslanoff wrote:
    Do you all order the Active Rear Locking Differential or the Capability Plus Pack? I did not and know have some concerns after watching some LRD5 off-road videos. Was that a big mistake?
    What do you think? Is it a must-have option or it is fine without it? I doubt I will do super offroad hill climbing or stone crawling, but in some cases will go off the road into the mud and forest of course.

Locking rear diff will be most useful only if towing in low-traction areas like wet grass, mud, etc. Center diff lock with all the technology available in these things is plenty good. I have an HSE with the Capability Pack (center locker only), and I have been offroad in mine over wet granite and shale on inclines >>10% and it's fine.
  • jpi3418
    Australia 

I have had the rear locker on my Disco 4 and it did make a difference in the sand. I didn't really objectively test it against any vehicle without the locker, but compared to my Disco 3 which didn't have it, it felt like it had more traction when beach driving on soft sand. My current Disco 4.5 doesn't have it and I haven't missed it. If I was speccing up a D5 from scratch I think I would include it, but if buying off the showroom floor then I'd probably just take the one with the best colour.
  • JackW
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I ordered mine with the Capability Plus and tow package. The LR3's with the locking rear differential are in high demand on the used market so I figured it would make it more desirable in the long run. I also tow trailers and a locking rear does come in handy on occasion.

[img]https://disco5.co.uk/gallery/10345/normal_D5&Eriba~1.jpg[/img]
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I've got the e-diff on my D4 and have ordered it on the D5 as well. As said above, I think it only makes a difference in the extreme stuff. As I have a poverty pack D4 I've never been able to tell when it is engaged but it does walk up steep rocky inclines with very little wheel spin at the back so I think it does its job.

Ron
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

DiscoStu wrote:
    Not needed - it will be fine without. The locking rear diff just makes 'extreme' off-roading easier. A Disco without will get to all the same places, it'll just need a little more oomph!

As someone who has not had a rear locker on 4 x D3\4's I can confirm that I never had a problem getting anywhere those with one did, even in the most extreme off road scenarios. As Stu points out, it might have taken a few seconds longer to get there but the independent power to wheel traction control takes away much of the need tbh

Personally, I think offering one was more of a hat tip by LR to those historic enthusiasts who would think if it didn't have it then it wasn't a proper LR or off-roader, rather than adding a significant benefit. Smile
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

As above.
    First D3 - didn’t have it. Don’t think it made a difference.
    D4 (recently departed) - Had it. Made a difference...but marginal at most and just made it seem a tiny bit easier one or two times on steep, rocky climbs.
    D3 “for off-roading ” - doesn’t have it and don’t miss it compared to the D4
    D5 - couldn’t be bothered to spec it....

Maybe that helps the decision Thumbs Up

2018MY HSE Si6
    D3 2007MY HSE with a couple of extras....
  • Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Mines got it,but I bought it second hand. But its another gizmo on the car that will never get used by me just like the park assist,and the trailer park thingy whats it.
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

I think the only advantage a diff locked D5 (or 3/4) has is less strain on driveline components is extreme situations.

Without the locking diff when a wheel loses traction, the brake is applied to that wheel, transferring the drive instantly across the diff to the other wheel. This does put a strain on all the components across the axle.

With a locker, as soon as slip is detected, the diff itself locks and sends power to both wheels on the axle, so less strain on all components.

Not that I know of any rear diff or driveshaft failures in D3’s or 4’s without lockers in off road severe situations. Seen a few front driveshafts fail, but that’s not going to be helped by a locking rear diff.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

The comment on strain to drive train components is interesting

Take a look at the recent Grand Tour epsiode where they “tested” a Velar, Porsche and an Alfa. Both the Porsche and alpha under moderate use went into limp mode due to 4x4 overload. Crap softeoaders. No such issue with the Velar

Also didn’t realise the velar does not have low range.
  • J77
    Scotland 

No low range though it can be had with the active locking rear diff.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

Sorry, do you mean you can get a Velar with transfer box if you spec the Locking Rear Differential?
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

Meant to say 2 speed transfer box!
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Gareth, Velar only comes with a single speed, torque on demand transfer box on all engines. On V6's only an electronic locking rear diff is available as an option.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum