Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jj3333
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

2nd Row Headrest

Hi - i have just picked up my new HSE and have tried to fit the kids seats but needed to adjust the headrests. But with no joy. I have tried the button on the side but this doesn't seem to work. I went back to the garage but no one knew how to adjust????? Any help appreciated. Thanks
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

The button is for folding the head rest down when not in use. The imanual says they rear rests cannot be adjusted for height, not sure how true this is though.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • jj3333
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

thanks for your reply.

This is what i feared. If this is the case you cannot use child seats int he 2nd or 3rd row if the kid requires the child seat head rest to be high as the car headrest prevents the child seat sitting correctly. Surely Landrover have thought about this....
  • Labbix

You can take the headrests out, but if you have electrical seats, which was an obligation if you wanted a 3 row, there is a (electrical?) cable running into the headrest which keeps the headrest connected to the seats, which makes it impossible to put the child seats correctly... is this just me?? Or is LR really that stupid? As this is meant to be a family car, the first thing you want is to make sure the child seats can be put correctly. So only option is to cut these cables to take the headrest completely off?? Any advice, experience?
  • Labbix

With picture for better explanation

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White
  • Labbix

So I read:

CHILD RESTRAINT CHECK LIST

13. For some child seats, it may be necessary to remove the head restraint to make sure of a stable fit. Always refit a removed head restraint after the child seat is removed.

For me this emplies that it should be possible to remove the head restraint...

But how to disconnect the cable inside these head restraints than?

I have these 2 seats (with isofix)

• Labbix

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G1807045

specific for the discovery 5 MY 2018
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Are your seats the ones recommended by LR? ...If yes and you have to remove the headrest with the cable in situ then I would just secure it in the load-space area as best as possible....or take advice from your dealer perhaps.
  • Labbix

Just made a small video of it and gave it to the dealer, they will check it out, but we’re surprised as well, let’s hope for the best
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Good luck ! Smile
  • Labbix

The dealer managed to take the middle head rest off, what a difference that makes for the rear view!

Inside was an electrical cable which they could deconnect (a simple plug), but to do this they had to dismantle the whole seat... so not easy to take these head rests of... but I’m way happier without the middle one. For the side ones they did not really want to try as the electric cables that run inside the head rests might be needed to control the electric seats...
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

DG wrote:
    More info

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G1946428

Not sure if this applies to the third row, but when I tried removing the second row restraints I could no seem to find the second tab. My D3 has two tabs and it’s reliti easy to remove the restraints.

I may be missing something of course Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • NILR
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

So I’ve followed this up with JLR and at the moment the only option is to take the car in and they will remove the 2nd row Head rests so the group 2/3 child seats fit properly. Tried JLR seats and they were a worse fit ( and are 100 more than if you buy same unbranded from Britax Shocked )

Still ongoing and I’ll let you know where we end up.
  • Labbix

Did they manage to remove the outer headrests? And do you have electrical seats and a third row. My dealer only wanted to take off the middle headrest as he was afraid to damage/disable the electrical setup of the seats. As I have 3 small kids, this only helps for 1 child.

To me, this is a clear design error with serious safety implications. As with most bigger child seats it is a must to be able to take the headrests out and to fit the child seat correctly, as JLR even states in their own manual. I wrote them an email with my complaints, as my AEB and front assist are not working neither (big safety issues to me as well) but never got a response. This 100k € car does definitely not earn the 5 star EURO NCAP rating at all with these errors still unsolved! And it is promoted as a family car... but it lacks the common safety features even a cheap car has. Shameful and I really wonder how in dept all these safety reviews and tests are done. Is safety becoming another JLR point that shouldn’t be trusted?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum