Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Time to buy a lead box to store keys?

Just came across this rather worrying story, might be time to buy a lead box to keep car keys in.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/gone...57951.html
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

That would work. It's quite worrying that the car can be gone so easily and silently. I thought that there was a distance from the key that the engine would run, therefore if the key does not remain within range of the car the engine would shut down.

Perhaps I'm wrong but if I am then I'm claiming intellectual property on that!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but when I have my engine running I can walk away with the key and it just keeps running. The car then shows a "Smart key not found" on the dash. I believe this is a safety thing so it doesn't just cut out doing 70mph on the motorway for example. But without proximity to the key they wouldn't be able to start it again. The high tech device is a signal amplifier, the guy holds it up close to the house to pick up the signal from a car key.

Ron
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I think this is a great idea. I can't believe how easy it looks for someone to gain access to your prized possession!

Theres loads of 'pouches' on Amazon, however I have no idea which ones are better than others? Some sell for up to £20 for one, and others are only £10 for 2??? Ideally i'd need one to store the key and the other keys that are on the same ring, however I wondered if any of these are big enough?

A box to store multiple things in would be perfect, so you can store your wallet and more than one set of keys, however Amazon don't have anything that big. Anyone else have any UK suppliers that have alternatives?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I can't comment on the pouches but a few years ago I did get a RFID card protected wallet. I know they work as I now have to take my front door access card out of my wallet rather than holding my wallet up to the door lock to open it.

Ron
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Just found this thread while browsing. I too had the same concerns when seeing how easy a car was to steal using this method.

Just as a test, and assuming any old faraday cage would work for the keys, I tried placing them in a metal buscuit tin. It works.

I could hold the key just a few inches from the car and open the door as per normal keyless entry. Drop the key into the buscuit tin and it would no longer work. Lift the key back out of the tin and it worked just fine again.

Save a bit of money, and use a metal buscuit tin. Thumbs Up For reference the tin I used was about 8 inches tall and 4 or 5 inches across. Didnt need to put the lid on it either. It is now just used as a recepticle for all wireless keys.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Thats OK but if they really want your nice new car they will come looking for the keys

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RedBall
    United Kingdom 

Thats true. If they are determined to take your car, then they will get it one way or another.

I suppose its whether they want to cross that line and add a possible burglary charge by enterig the home. Though I imagine there are very few lines these low life have any issue crossing.

Its just a case of making yours harder to nick than the one down the street. If there is an easier and less risky opportunity elsewhere then the hope isthey leave yours alone.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum