Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Anyone removed their spare wheel to save weight?

Just a thought

Haven’t had a puncture in decades. Well since the 90’s
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dont jinx it Pcheaven. You may end up with 4 simultaneous punctures to make up for the lack of them since the 90's Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a more serious note why would you want too remove the spare wheel for? Offroading or too save on fuel economy. I assumed like the D4 that the spare played an integral part of the cars strength/ structure, so to speak?
  • Dirty Trucker
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Re: Anyone removed their spare wheel to save weight?

Pcheaven wrote:
    Just a thought

Haven’t had a puncture in decades. Well since the 90’s

I think I must get your share of punctures,I have at least 2 a year so id never get rid of my spare
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I had one a week ago. Around 3-4 times in last 5 years.
    I have a full original spare + tyre repair kit (insertion tool, reamer tool, knife, five strips of rubber plugs, glue) + compressor

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Just wondering on the benefits to fuel economy and handling. Given that weighs a lot and is hung out behind the rear axel.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

If it's a full sized wheel then you would be saving about 33kg ...if you are stood at the side of the road in the rain with a flat you really would question why you wanted to save the weight in the first place Laughing
  • Craigp
    England 

Arslanoff wrote:
    I had one a week ago. Around 3-4 times in last 5 years.
    I have a full original spare + tyre repair kit (insertion tool, reamer tool, knife, five strips of rubber plugs, glue) + compressor

I think plugs and the like are now band over here. I remember my dad having his puncture kit like you describe
    I could be wrong i await your replies.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Pcheaven wrote:
    Just wondering on the benefits to fuel economy and handling. Given that weighs a lot and is hung out behind the rear axel.

Handling wise probably better too have the extra weight at the rear of the car, too balance it.

Probably saving pennies instead of £'sss with regards too fuel consumption.

The pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. Only positive may be if your doing serious off roading having no spare saves it getting damaged, and as DG said the last thing you want too do is too be stuck in the rain with no spare. Laughing

Not too mention its a royal pain too put the spare wheel back, once you have taken it off Thumbs Up
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Got my tyre plugged last year after a bolt went through it, at a well known tyre fitting garage.
    Possibly its the home DIY kits that are banned ?
    But are 10 a penny on ebay. Confused
  • Craigp
    England 

Ok just googled it it seems im wrong Embarassed
    Now who told me this false information Crying or Very sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

At least am right for once Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Maximum 3 plugs per tyre is the policy i was told, otherwise a new tyre Shocked
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Also, you shouldn't plug a puncture on the shoulder block of tread as the puncture may have damaged the sidewall, and reaming it could weaken it further. Tire shops here in the States won't plug punctures on or near the sidewall.

Full sized spare is definitely a requirement here for off-roading as shredding a sidewall isn't all that uncommon.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Same in the UK re plugs
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I was told not to make it on a sidewall or close to the sidewall and inspect the tyre within 100 km in the tyre shop. But the kit weights nothing, the tyre can be repaired within 5 minutes without taking the wheel off. Much easier than changing the wheel. So I have both in the car.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Garage also informed me that they wont plug near the sidewall edges for safety reasons, which makes total sense. I also got the garage too put a patch on the inside as well, just too make sure there was no air leak from the plug or a chance of it blowing out. I was running high performance tyres and had no problem afterwards. Garage assured me that the plug would not blow out which was an initial concern for me. Best left too the experts in my opinion.

I would be unsure using a DIY kit myself, but its a handy lifesaver if stuck out in the middle of nowhere i suppose. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum