Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Car turns off when put into park

It may be meant to do this but i cant see any info in the manual. On many occasions (but not all) when the car has been driven a while if i reverse into a parking spot then put the car into park the engine shuts down. Not shut down as in stop / start but as though i have pressed the button to turn it off If i need to move it or get the heater on etc i have to restart the car.

Hope that makes sense? Does anyone else have it please? Mines a 2.0l hse.

S
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Should be this:

The driver exit feature is only active when an auto stop has taken place and the engine is not running. To prevent the vehicle from being inadvertently left in a driveable condition, the vehicle detects when a driver is not present. If this is the case, the system automatically switches off the ignition system. Once the vehicle's ignition is switched off, the vehicle can be locked, if required. See LOCK CONFIRMATION.

If Drive (D), Sport (S), or Neutral (N) is selected, the driver exit feature switches the vehicle’s ignition off if the following conditions exist:

The driver’s seat belt is unbuckled, and:

The brake pedal is released.

If Park (P) is selected, the driver exit feature switches the vehicle’s ignition off if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

No, mine is pull up, foot still on brake pedal, belt on, engine running. Put into park (foot still on brake pedal, belt still on) engine immediately turns off (not stop/start).

S
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That's not right.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you switch off the start/stop system with a button on the dashboard while you are driving will the car behave the same way as you park or it will stay on?
    Do you have a picture on a screen (green driver) as you buckle yourself?
    It is not right definitely, could be a software problem with the start-stop system or the sensor in the seat belt buckle, so the car thinks you are not buckled. Which is very dangerous as you would have the driver airbag off.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Mine does this from time to time, definitely related to the Auto Stop/Start - as I pull up into the garage and come to a stop in D, and as I'm turning the knob to P, the engine shuts down (I've got it down so that I'm pretty quick about getting it into Park once I've hit my spot). It's the Easy Driver Exit feature as described in the manual - I think it just happens to be initiating the auto stop/start sequence as I'm putting it into park. Once it's in park, it totally shuts down.

If I disable auto start-stop, it doesn't do it. I've been disabling the auto stop/start lately since I personally believe it's contributing to the early service indicator issue.
  • Hissinsid
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for replies, will knock the stop start off and see what happens.

S
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Is it just me, or is that stop/start a pain when you park the car!?

I stop, into (P) park, and the engine stops.. Then just as you are about to get out it starts again! So you have to stop the engine yourself...

I've gotten used to the stop/start, but not in this situation, there doesn't seem to be a way to get around this scenario and it happens to me a lot of times.
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Yep, happens to me too. Engine turns off when selecting the "P" position and starts again after a short moment. Strange behavior.

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum