Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Mini light bar / A Bar.

Am thinking of adding 2 or maybe 4 spot lights too the car. Has anyone added auxiliary lighting too the front of the car yet ?? (I see a few brave souls have added at the rear). The only way too attach it seems, is by an A bar or a mini light bar. Am not sure if a mini light bar would work in this instance, as there does not seem too be a lip on the front bumper like the previous Discos. Any thoughts?

I don't want too drill directly into the bumper either. I have seen brackets on previous cars which protrude through the grill for a neat looking installation though.

Was looking at getting a custom made A Bar, but my concern is that the front camera and sensors would be in the way? Anyone got an A Bar on their car yet, or tell me where I could source one from. Or if there an easier way of adding extra lights without hacking away at the front bumper ??

Cheers

Thumbs Up

Ps. We do quite alot of night driving so extra candle power is always appreciated, hence the need for extra lights.

• stiff
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Matzker had a modded front grill at a show - been looking around and its not in production yet. The grill had two round spots built into it. Very neat install but i don’t expect it will be a cheap bit of plastic once its in production...

2018MY HSE Si6
    D3 2007MY HSE with a couple of extras....
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Stiff,
    would you have any photos? Thumbs Up
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Could find this pic.
    Now I see it again, the lights are a bit smaller than I thought. At that size they would need to be a decent aux light to make a difference

Click image to enlarge

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks. I went onto the site and could not see anything under lighting accessories.

Yes they do look small, and like you said they must have a decent output too be worthwhile.

Maybe a set of 4 would have been better, or upgrade them too bigger bulbs if possible Confused
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Yep - nothing on their site yet. Keep meaning to call them to ask if they will be producing this or not.

Maybe a pair of visionx Canons might do the trick...I have a pair of the 50w LED on my D3 and they put out a hell of a lot light.

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks i will look into the Vision Canons. I personally prefer the clear lens as oppossed too the smoked lens in the photos you sent me Thumbs Up

More manufacturers are going away from normal halogen H1/H3 bulbs in favour of the new cree/led ones especially for aux lighting. Admittedly they produce one hell of a beam from such a small bulb, and are far less likely too blow (fail). However unlike the cree/led bulbs, you cannot upgrade from a standard 55w too a 100/130/150 watt bulb, which is what i used to do in the past. I may be wrong but i have heard if the cree/led fails the whole unit has too be replaced. Shocked

I have been toying with the idea of an LED bar, but am still not sure. Dont fancy a roof mounted bar as means drilling a hole in the roof, plus i dont think it will look right, so will probably stick with normal round lamps.

Also with the can bus wiring there can be an issue if you are using a trailer with LED's lights as oppossed too normal bulbs, so am not sure how aux LED's would work if i tried too tap into the main beam when wiring them up.

Ring did do aux spot/fog lights which worked via a remote sensor. No wiring was necessary. Genius Laughing
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Wasn't the issue with trailer LEDs something to do with resistance etc? Not canbus ? I have LED spots and bars on both the D3 and D4. They run off an aux battery but all are wired into the main beam (albeit also with separate switches).

As long as you power the lights off a separate circuit and just use main beam as the trigger then should be ok ...? Unless you are going to tell me its all changed with the new Disco... Shocked Laughing

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

stiff wrote:
    Yep - nothing on their site yet. Keep meaning to call them to ask if they will be producing this or not.

Maybe a pair of visionx Canons might do the trick...I have a pair of the 50w LED on my D3 and they put out a hell of a lot light.

The Vision Cannons look awesome Cool
    This is the type of thing i am looking for. A tough looking lamp.
    However due too the rounded shape of the front end, am not sure how these can be attached, as there is no bumper lip Crying or Very sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

stiff wrote:
    Wasn't the issue with trailer LEDs something to do with resistance etc? Not canbus ? I have LED spots and bars on both the D3 and D4. They run off an aux battery but all are wired into the main beam (albeit also with separate switches).

As long as you power the lights off a separate circuit and just use main beam as the trigger then should be ok ...? Unless you are going to tell me its all changed with the new Disco... Shocked Laughing

Am not sure with regards too the D5 wiring system/harness, if its been changed or not ???
    Trailer wise it was just what i was reading up on, as this is all new territory too me.
    But canbus can throw up issues if tapping into the main beam directly is what i was told. Extra switches and relays are required, not too mention the voided LR warranty if not a LR approved accessory :shock

Just a pity LR did not offer Aux lights as an accessory like in the olden days, as i would have definately ticked the options box. Confused
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Pro Speed have taken measurements and scan for front light brackets that require no drilling Whistle might be worth contacting them to chase them up for production

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Russell I will ping them an email tomorrow. I gather the same goes for side steps as well?? 😀
  • stiff
    Luxembourg 

Russell wrote:
    Pro Speed have taken measurements and scan for front light brackets that require no drilling Whistle might be worth contacting them to chase them up for production

Good to know Thumbs Up

2018MY HSE Si6
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I have to say that my Old D3 had factory fitted spots and they were next to useless. I know this because the button on the dash to switch them on and off allowed me to do so while on main beam. Apart from a yellowish hue, the didn’t actually add anything to my D3’s xenon.

I’m not collecting my D5 until 20 Feb therefore I’m not qualified to comment on the LED headlights on the HSE Lux, but that said, in my experience non xenon spots are not really worth it.

Just 2 pence worth.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Hmmmm I highly doubt this monstrosity would be legal in the UK Shocked

Am guessing its from either Australia or Africa?

Seems to have front sensors incorporated in the bar itself, and possibly the camera as well.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum