Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• samyil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

adaptive LEDs

Hi Guys, just finalising spec on my HSE.
    Wondering if to go for adaptive lights. Anyone got these?, do they simply turn as you turn or are they more advanced that that - like blocking out oncoming vehicles.
    Also, surround cameras?? are they a gimmick or actually useful once you've got over the novelty. Thanks.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have both but do not do enough night time driving to comment on the LED's.

The surround camera I find very useful for reversing into tight spots and generally positioning the car.
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Surround cameras are must have if you drive and park in the city. I have surround cameras but I don't have surround parking sensors, those I find annoying in the traffic lights or tight spots, they start beeping to any side obstacle around 1,5 meter from the car.
    adaptive lights are more advanced ones, as you described it, blocking out oncoming vehicles, switches on in the turns go up and down on the hills and so on.

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I had the adaptive lights on a Velar loaner while mine was being fettled one time, I was really impressed, they shape the light to avoid oncoming traffic but not as aggressively as the on off of the auto high beam. Really clever and effective, I would tick the box next time. The cameras are handy and if you park in tight car parks but the Software can be a bit clunky and they often turn off during manoeuvres and you have to put them on manually. Again more useful than I expected.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 

I believe the Velar has matrix adaptive headlights, which do block out oncoming vehicles etc and would be what I want. As far as I can tell the discovery 5 does not have this, I think they just move with the steering and dip / full automatically.
  • neilk
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Ahh - that makes sense, that is exactly what they did so I wrongly presumed it was the same.
  • Craigp
    England 

Not noticed much if any side to side movement of the lights. When traveling below 30mph or so the side lights come on the side you turn towards and again below a certain speed you have additional low down lighting. But thats about it.
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Save your money and don't bother with the Discovery adaptive lights. I have them on my 2017 model and I honestly can't notice any side to side rotation whatsoever. I've checked with the dealer and they have confirmed they are fitted and working but said that any movement is very slight.

The only thing I can seeis that side projection lights come on at slow speeds which are intended to light up the area surrounding the front corners.

I had adaptive lights on a Mercedes a few years ago and they were very obviously motorised in all directions. The Disco version isn't a patch on those. That said, it's the only major(ish) complaint that I'd have about the D5.
  • samyil
    United Kingdom 

That was my conclusion! Thank you all for your help.

Re - Cameras I will do a mixture of city and country driving- my trail of thought would be based around big shiny black wheels - kerbs - wife parking .....money spent on cameras could be money saved on wheel repair........
  • Matt
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

I also have surround cameras and they're excellent. Definitely worth adding to your build
  • nine5
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I had surround cameras in my former BMW X5. It was like a birdview.

Is it the same in the Disco 5? Could anyone make a photo of the touchscreen? Thanks

MY18 D5 HSE TD6 Santorini Black
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I had a BMW 5 Touring and it is the same on the Disco.
  • nine5
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

That's fine!

I ordered the surround cameras for my Disco 5, although i wasn't convinced of the Disco 4 system and the Disco 5 brochure isn't very informative about the displayed camera pictures.

Last edited by nine5 on 9th Jan 2018 2:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY18 D5 HSE TD6 Santorini Black
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Some surround pictures

Birds eye in dark in reverse
    Junction view
    Off road view showing obstacles + front wheels

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • nine5