Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Wink you are right!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Incidentally the 3 litre petrol has been faultless so far. Pulls like an elephant on steroids and no oil dilution issues too worry about Thumbs Up
  • Labbix

Correct, but for traveling in Southern Africa I would still take a diesel, more chance you will find some and less visits to the petrol station. Another thing I regret on the D5 is that you will have less space to put all your gear, as I have a compressor, starter cables, towing ropes, hooks and so on. The useful space under the second row is gone, the trays in the back contain now USB ports which makes these trays too small for normal tools.
    So it’s less a bush fit car than before in my opinion, but a more luxurious travel companion for the average travelers. And honestly I think this was the market LR was aiming for with this car.
    This South African 4x4 site might have better info, although big chance you know it already:

http://www.4x4community.co.za
    Whatever you decide: Enjoy the ride in your beautiful country!
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    You must be well gutted

Obviously not Whistle Laughing
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

We originally went for the 3 litre diesel last year, as the fuel economy was better than the petrol, and better torque for towing. All previous Discos have been diesel.

I also agree less visits too the petrol station. However after the engine problems we encountered and all the negative oil dilution posts we decided against another diesel, as no solution was forthcoming. This is our first petrol, and it's alot smoother and quieter than the diesel.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards too the lack of space for tools etc. LR have definately upped the mark on the D5 being aimed at the Luxury end of the market. Yes the D4 had a certain ruggedness too it which the D5 doesnt. I would be afraid too take it offroad incase I damaged it. However the D5 is head and shoulders above the D4 when it comes too the luxury stakes. Very Happy

Give me a ruffty ruffty diesel Defender or a D4 anyday, too circumnavigate the globe Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 28th May 2018 8:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

DG wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    You must be well gutted

Obviously not Whistle Laughing

Now now DG, we mustn't laugh at others misfortunes Shocked Laughing
  • GusPaterson
    South Africa 

Thanks for the comments, I will certainly not rush into a D5 and will eke out my Disco 3 for a bit longer . . .
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum