Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• sanjivsai
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Dual Dash Cam (Front & Rear)

Dear All,
    I am looking to buy a dual (Front & Rear) dash cam for my discovery 5.
    After research, it appears that Blackvue DR750S-2CH (32Gb) with
    Power Magic Pro is a market leader. Does anyone have any experience
    with this make or can recommend another brand?
    Can anyone recommend an installer in North London?

Thanks in advance
    Sanjiv
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

the best camera i've found by far, but unfortunately only work in USA atm, unless you have 4G in your car in which case you can use that as an internet connection for it... as we all know i'm missing that!!! Censored Censored ... is the www.owlcam.com and i can't wait for it to be available in Europe.

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I have the Blackvue and have no problems, i've heard good things about the DDPai X2 http://en.ddpai.com/
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

achichon wrote:
    the best camera i've found by far, but unfortunately only work in USA atm, unless you have 4G in your car in which case you can use that as an internet connection for it... as we all know i'm missing that!!! Censored Censored ... is the www.owlcam.com and i can't wait for it to be available in Europe.

Hi achichon - what do you think sets part the owlcam from what we have available here now?

(Edit: just noticed it does front and internal but not rear)

As I have an my18 on the way - am I right in thinking that if I buy this from the US I could use it here?

Thanks
  • Imbaw
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Yulong White

I just spoke with the team at https://incarcamerasystems.co.uk who were very helpful and gave me several options for front/rear

I am likely to go down the hard wired blackvue route connected to the wifi so that I can monitor footage if when parked also as it has a cloud feature.

The only issue is - does wifi in the car turn off when the engine is off - if so I might have to go with a regular wifi dongle powered by the camera system and automatically switched off if the cameras car battery monitor senses a drop in car battery beyond a certain level.

Does anyone know if the in car wifi can be set to stay on at all times?

Thanks
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

this might not have rear camera recording, but as an overall i'd much rather have this with front and in car security camera, with gps, internet connectivity 24/7, mobile phone msging, live on mob view, video stored in cloud, etc etc...

i mean i don't know about you guys but down here anyone who hits someone from behind is liable so i'm not that fussed about the rear. i guess that if you are parked or away from the car it will make a difference. but i am totally more worried about the in car security than the rear camera. so for me this is the best option, obviously it will vary from person to person depending on your needs Smile

Imbaw wrote:
    achichon wrote:

Hi achichon - what do you think sets part the owlcam from what we have available here now?

(Edit: just noticed it does front and internal but not rear)

As I have an my18 on the way - am I right in thinking that if I buy this from the US I could use it here?

Thanks

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Road Angel Halo and the Road Hawk are both worth a look.

Snooper also do a decent one according too the reviews Thumbs Up
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I am waiting for the release of Acer Vision360
    https://home.cloud.acer.com/vision360/

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

that acer vision looks fairly good too... but no details on release date or price or if it'll work in Europe? cos of the constant connectivity it requires..

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hi have blackvue fittted front & rear and I'm very pleased 24/7 recording and once I'm home I can link to my wifi and down load any recording if needed. I can also get the same info off my phone it a great camera. It cost me just under £400. which when you've paid nearly £60,000 for your car it's worth the money for the protection if the police or your insurance company need it.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I know you all know this already, "the importance of a camera" but i've just gotten myself out of a VERY sticky situation with another driver due to a dash mounted cam.

At the scene he admitted his fault... Which i ecorded. he slept on it and by lunchtime the day after he'd been in Hospital all night and was claimimg for loss of earnings and not his fault, he had completely fabricated the whole scene, Of course i didnt admit admit to having footage at the time so i let the whole story unfold. I'd also been on the DVLA MOT Checker and his veh was without an MOT and SORN'd.

Shocked

The insurance company were quite aggressive and on his side, oh how the tables turned when they were faced with one blunder after another, they don't even check with the DVLA to see if the vehicle is in date for MOT or TAX, The assessor deemed the car unroadworthy due to bald tyres alround which were also cracked with age and showing signs of wire banding.

Any way, if you havent already, get yourself a camera.

Thumbs Up
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Was it literally as simple as emailing off the footage to both insurance companies to sort the incident out?

A valuable lesson for us all there i reckon.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I had to upload it to you tube and then send a link to the insurance company so that they could view it.

Fairly straightforward, for the grief it has actually stopped it far outweighed the click of a few buttons,
    i litterally went from loosing maximum NCB to a none fault claim in the space of an hour.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

My dashcam saved me losing my no claims when I had my D4.

I was pulling out of a petrol station onto a main road, and there was a VW Golf coming towards me. He flashed his lights a few times, and indicated with his hands that he was letting me go and I pulled out. Unfortunately he carried on and went into the side of my car!

As you can imagine the D4 hardly had a scratch on it, however the front of the Golf was a total mess!

He told his insurance company that he didn't flash his lights or gesture me to pull out, so the blame was put on me for pulling out onto a main road. However when I submitted a copy of the video, which fortunately caught him flashing his lights three times and waving at me to come out (which just showed up as my car was at an angle to the road), he back peddled and I won the case.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

I carnt see the front camera or rear when driving I just forget I've got them.

There's some good stories why cameras should be fitted, when I change my car I could have the cameras taken out and put in to my new car. I think before long car manufacturers will fit them as an optional extra. I also think your better having them and not needing them, then not having them and needing them, if that makes an sense.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum