Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

How do you know when it's doing a regen.
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

A blinding light starts to come from all over it and then suddenly ............oh wait that's Dr Who!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • J77
    Scotland 

Craigp wrote:

An acrid smell and the exhaust note changes slightly, more of a burble tone.

Though the manual says a green light should come on once a regen has completed but never seen one on either car.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Craigp
    England 

Right ! We've always blamed the dog.
    (Whilst casting sideways glances at each other) Laughing
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

J77 wrote:
    Craigp wrote:

An acrid smell and the exhaust note changes slightly, more of a burble tone.

Though the manual says a green light should come on once a regen has completed but never seen one on either car.

Where does the manual talk about Regen? I searched my app and "regeneration" doesn't appear once, nor are there any dash lights listed showing anything related to emissions function aside from the glow plug icon.

You do get a bit of a burnt smell, different from the paraffin smell at startup. I only notice it in my garage when I pull in, and it's pretty rare. That likely indicates a regen cycle that's been interrupted by the completion of a journey.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

The iGUIDE mentions th e green warning light in the section on warning and information lights. DPF is mentioned three time red ! Amber and green.

These descriptions do not appear to be in the stand alone section on warning lights

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Ah, now I see. It states, "The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) lamp illuminates briefly when a successful DPF regeneration process has been carried out."

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen this lamp lit...it must be very brief indeed.

There's also an amber DPF lamp that "illuminates when the DPF has failed to regenerate and is starting to become full. The lamp is accompanied by a message in the message center. Follow on-screen messages, if it is safe to do so."

Presumably, this is the indication to tell you to go for a drive at higher engine speed to force a passive regeneration.

I have also never seen this lamp lit.

In other news, the search function in the iGuide is apparently useless...zero hits on "regeneration".
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I have not seen the Gen lights either, more likely to see northern lights maybe

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • J77
    Scotland 

So the hunt is on for the elusive green regen light Laughing

The first to have it gets a years free subscription to Disco5.co.uk Laughing

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Craigp
    England 

Just had a service. All the paperwork on completion of the service says I must return in 1 year or 16k miles which ever is the sooner. Not even left the forecourt, just checked the vehicle info and it's saying next service 12150 miles. Must be my style of driving.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

How many times did the stop/start activate on your way out? Whistle

Resetting the service counter clearly doesn't erase any memory that's used to estimate the distance to next service. Otherwise one would expect the counter to read 16,000 miles immediately after reset.

It's an estimation only...one reason why I plan to test my oil. If the actual dilution is well under 6% then the service counter could have a problem. Which would be good news, I think.

Maybe I'll test it before I take it in, and if it indicates the dilution is well under 6%, I'll drive it for a while longer, test it again, and then take it in once it gets near 6%.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

VeryDisco5 wrote:

The dealer who said 30 minutes needs some re-training. According to JLR's own guidance the DPF needs regular drives of over an hour to keep it in good shape.

This after an update to my iGuide:

• chicken george
    United Kingdom 

Thats just very disco exagerating everything to the max as usual. Take his info with a large pinch of salt. Or read it in a salt mine.

Chicken George, Land Rover owner for decades , and proud buyer of British products.
  • Craigp
    England 

So my next question do you think it would be better WRT oil dilution if you could kick off a regen manually whenever you feel you can satisfy the conditions on possibly more occasions than strictly necessary as opposed to it doing it automatically and not completing a number of them. Is more better?
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
    Thats just very disco exagerating everything to the max as usual. Take his info with a large pinch of salt. Or read it in a salt mine.

That iguide text looks to be identical to the DS handbook: just the standard boilerplate advice for DPFs. The problem for the DS and D5, though, is that in the real-world active regenerations take much longer than expected which is why we are all saddled with excessive post-injection, oil dilution and early service requests. JLR would like you to believe this is caused by your driving style. Or the fairies. Anything but a design fault.

Perhaps internally they know full well what the problem is but they can't ever change the documentation as that would be an admission that a general fault exists. However, in an unguarded moment, an executive office manager sent me a letter quoting advice that had presumably come straight from engineering without first being checked by the politburo. In a propaganda war this is the sort of thing that gives people the opportunity to judge for themselves whether the company always tells the whole truth. Read alongside JLRP00100, it looks very much as though like there is a consistent, rational explanation exists for the issue.

I stress that this was written in relation to the L550 - not the L462. But when the end-users of both vehicles are experiencing the same problem, both also included in JLRP00100 - worse on the D5 from what I have read - what else to conclude?

Last edited by VeryDisco5 on 12th May 2018 1:21 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum