Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The last 7 years have been record sales year on year. I haven't seen the dealerships grow at that pace.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Well that's good to hear, it makes a different story than the gloom and doom published in the press.
    All this talk of diesels going down the pan due to emissions etc etc
    I personally reckon they will have a long way to go to find something as efficient as a diesel engine.
    I'm certainly doing my bit towards supporting diesel, my new D5 is of the 3litre kind Thumbs Up
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

In the Sunday Times the y published an article saying that a Tesla S was just as bad for the environment in the UK as a conventional car.
    That was based on the fact that many power stations are still oil or coal fired and the losses in energy from the distribution network and the chargers themselves.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Its all smoke and mirrors!

Theres even the belief that we already have a cure for Cancer, however the pharmaceutical companies and governments aren't telling anyone as they would loose them billions and they'd go bankrupt! Or the fact that every month we get told that somethings bad for you, like red meat, or alcohol, or dairy. My grandparents and their grandparents all ate lard and dripping, never seemed to do them any harm!

If you talk to people who haven't actually looked into the specifics, they tell you Diesel is bad and Electric is good, but as you say jimbg, look at the small print and the professional test and scientific research and thats not the real actually true.

We will end up with mainly electrical and hybrid cars, but not because its good for us and the environment, but because its good for the people who make money from it and keeps the majority of the public happy that the governments are doing something to help the environment.

Rant over! That felt good! Back to work! Very Happy

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I am old enough to remember the days when the smallest diesel engine cars were 2 litre because diesel was 'almost' like crude oil. In the winter we put a small amount of petrol in the tank with it to help the vehicle start !!
    I had a friend that owned a 2litre Merc and he had to clean his number plate every day because the black smoke chugged out by his vehicle turned it black after a few miles.
    And of course diesel was cheaper than petrol then and not many garages sold deisel, in fact when I bought my first diesel car in this country I had a booklet given to me listing garages that did and we diesel drivers had our own diesel drivers club !!
    Now of course vehicles are more efficient and diesel is much cleaner and now with the advent of Adblue even more ozone friendly.
    So I tend to believe in the Smoke and Mirrors theory now.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

I believe that Norway is the only country in the world where electric cars are truly cleaner than combustion - this is due to 98%+ of electricity coming from hydro-generation

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Except for the fact that someone still needs to build them, make batteries, mine the resources for the batteries, ship them etc.

Didn't Clarkson tell us that over the life of a car (7 years) a Prius was more polluting than a Discovery?

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 

Which is why Norway is the only country in the world that negates this - over the life time of the car the energy is cleanly generated, overcoming (just) the impact of building it. Any country that uses fossil fuel to generate electricity mean that electric cars (over entire life) start to become worse polluters than ICE ones. And we're still to see what an electric car life looks like - what will 2nd/3rd hand market be like? It won't be easy or cheap to change a battery on a Tesla....

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I still believe electricity is for appliances. But also agree we need renewable energy. For cars, we should grow it instead (pure bio diesel).

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum