Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My Oil Analysis

See below.

Of note, the lab I used expressed dismay that an engine manufacturer would allow engine oil to reach 6.1% dilution prior to changing - they stated the viscosity will decrease below specification on oils at just 2% dilution.

Regardless, I'm at 3% dilution, and the water was likely from me cleaning my vacuum extractor immediately before taking the sample.

EDIT: So, if the car is estimating that my oil hit 6.1% dilution and testing shows it's only at 3% dilution, then there's a problem with the estimation. This seems to point to the N025 update as the attempted resolution. Hard to say from one sample point, but we'll see as we go forward. I did sample the oil with the service life at 0 miles.

Of note, Iron is low, as is aluminum ("aluminium" in English), which seems to indicate that there's little wear in the cylinder as of now. That's a good thing. They only called attention to copper and silver (you can't tell on the screenshot but those values were in bold), will watch those to see if that's an issue. I didn't sample my first oil change - probably should have, but I'll sample the next few.

Click image to enlarge
  • Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Great!!!
    Just marvellous.... my car is ONE month old, has done 2500 miles and now has this issue.
    To top it off LRFS have taken two payments out of my account despite my last car being paid for.
    I'm a seriously unhappy bunny.
    Has anyone had to pay to have this fixed/investigated?
  • HSEMY18
    United Kingdom 

My car hit 2,500 miles as well and has the service light on now as well. Booked into dealers for Tuesday to get this checked, they said that this could be a software problem and shouldn’t need service. They will check and update software if needed and also check oil dilution.

Will let you know outcome.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Unless they've invested in expensive laboratory equipment (GC/MS) JLR dealers still have to rely on the car's own estimate of the dilution percentage, based on the post-injection activity log. Any time the service message presents ahead of the service schedule, it is almost certainly because this estimate has reached the trigger point (6.1% according to JLRP00100). If they told me that the diesel dilution was OK after the car said it needed a service, I would demand to know how they had arrived at that conclusion.
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

Mine is In next week for this.
    Firstly just for an hour to download the session files and send to LR to review.
    5 attempts at a fix now. (13 months)
    It’s a pain. But love the car.

Is it just the older 3 litre engines suffering or do the newer ones with more power and twin turbos also suffer?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

The 306 SDV6 in the RRS2 seems to suffer as well.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm fortunate and lucky to have had 2 D5's. Both the old 2017 and my latest 2018 model are TDV6 3.0 and they have both had the issue.

My MY18 model popped up with the service due notification a few weeks ago when I passed 2500 miles. I called my dealership and had a moan, and they took the car in for a few hours, reset the service interval, changed the oil and done a full check for free Very Happy

I think as long as you have an understanding dealership, they realise this is an issue. They should really sort it out for free. Could also be a case of digging your heels in and telling them to sort it for free!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

All 18my TDV6 are on latest software from build, if you get an early service warning it will be down to oil dilution, there is no software update for this, get oil and filter changed, oil service reset and make sure dealer raises an EPQR back to LR, dealers are not raising the issue so its not flagging as a major issue in the field.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • HSEMY18
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the useful info, will ensure they do not fob me off with some randomn explanation.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Mightymildred wrote:
    Great!!!
    Just marvellous.... my car is ONE month old, has done 2500 miles and now has this issue.
    To top it off LRFS have taken two payments out of my account despite my last car being paid for.
    I'm a seriously unhappy bunny.
    Has anyone had to pay to have this fixed/investigated?

Yes, I paid US$38 for an oil analysis. Mine came back indicating I was only halfway to the estimated dilution level despite the indication that I was at 6.1%. I recommend you do the same, and post results here.

Last edited by DieselRanger on 22nd Jun 2018 1:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

HSEMY18 wrote:
    My car hit 2,500 miles as well and has the service light on now as well. Booked into dealers for Tuesday to get this checked, they said that this could be a software problem and shouldn’t need service. They will check and update software if needed and also check oil dilution.

Will let you know outcome.

Take some oil from the vehicle and get it analyzed.
  • HSEMY18
    United Kingdom 

Well the results were that my oil dilution level was at 7.2% and the dealer carried out a oil and filter change.

Service department said that because I have the service pack there is no charge.
  • Craigp
    England 

But was it classed as a service so reducing your number of available services. This was what my dealer wanted to do until I threw a tantrum.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

J77 wrote:
    No service warnings on my dash but checking the service menu it needs a oil service in 1700 miles, making its first service interval 5000 miles. I’ve emailed my dealer and waiting for there reply.

Just checked mine and it says mine is due a service in 5000 time !! I've had it less than two months and only done 1500 miles !!!!
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

[i]
    HSEMY18 wrote:
    Service department said that because I have the service pack there is no charge.

craigp wrote:
    But was it classed as a service so reducing your number of available services.

That should never be the case. The Customer Experience Centre has recently written to two DS owners using the following boilerplate text in relation to the goodwill oil services being provided to mitigate premature oil contamination:
    Quote:
    As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle, any oil and filter changes that are required on your vehicle prior to a service will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture, providing your vehicle is within its 3 year manufacturer’s warranty.

Outside of the manufacturers warranty this would need to be assessed on a case by case basis.

The highlighted word "because" and the conditional phrase "As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle..." can be ignored: they can't legally provide free "goodwill" oil services to one group of customers but deny it to others when the cause of the problem in both cases is an identical design fault, i.e. they can't make their remedy for a documented vehicle fault (as per JLRP00100) conditional on the sale of a Service Plan.

It would be a different matter if, instead of stating "...will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture..." the email had said "...will be covered as part of your Service Plan...". However the latter wording would convey the impression that the dilution oil services were known about in advance and therefore comprehended by the terms of the Service Plan contract.

But if that were the case, it would create an obligation to warn all the other owners (without Service Plans) that their own service costs would be increased by the need for additional oil changes which they, JLR, had foreseen. This avenue would be problematic as it would confirm that existing owners had been misled about the service intervals due to the withholding of pertinent information.

All owners should therefore continue to receive goodwill oil changes out to three years and service plan owners shouldn't be asked to sacrifice one of their pre-paid services in order to get the work done. But what happens after the end of the warranty period is another thing entirely.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum