Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

There must be a way of turning the hill hold function off surely? Someone on here mentioned that they thought is was disabled when special programmes were active, but obviously not. I agree that rock crawling needs precise throttle control on occasion.

Can I add that your findings are really interesting, thank you for posting. Thumbs Up
  • Chrismcnaz
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Answering my own question above, yes you can as per the screen grab of the iPhone owners manual attached. The bit near the bottom about auto brakes preventing progress is the main point.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Surely selecting Rock Crawl disables the brake hold to allow gentle progress ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

No it doesn't Confused
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Oh Sad

Can it be disabled by holding the park brake switch down ?

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

AndrewS wrote:
    No I dont.
    In the video we were experimenting with gears not TC, get in the correct gear to suit the conditions and you shouldn't need TC was our goal Wink
    I wasn't really trying that hard and didnt want to cut the ground up as I should not have attempted departure in that area. If I had properly 'booted it' to get the TC working you would have seen the TC kicking in.
    As you will see in this scenario low 3rd worked better than low 2nd.

I could have got out of the water first time if I had gone fast enough but what would we have learned? lets face it you could do it with a transit van if you went fast enough.

We were playing with the settings and gears all day to get the best out of the vehicle. Its a very different vehicle to the D3 D4.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for those pics and vids! Very nice color btw.. My Disco Sport is Firenze Red with black roof as well. Thumbs Up I would have loved my D5 to be in the same color, but it ended up white instead.

But back to topic... You seem to know a lot about Disco offroading. How come you got yourself a D5 without rear locking diff?

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

In most situations off road you wouldn't need the e-diff. If you are doing the really hard stuff it may be an advantage. I had one on my D4 but as it was a poverty pack one I could never tell when it engaged, my D5 has one too but I haven't been off road yet (but I would be able to tell if it engaged at least).

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

As mentioned its not that much of an advantage in my opinion. I have witnessed D3/4s without e-diffs go places that cars with e-diffs couldn't get to. Driver training and understanding the vehicle will get you further than any e-diff Thumbs Up
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Okay, thanks you two for that input. Smile
    I was a bit worried that my pre-owned D5 had no e-diff. Confused

Feel better about it now! Thumbs Up

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

AndrewS wrote:
    DieselRanger wrote:
    How does it drive on the road with the DuraTracs? Have you noticed a major negative impact in fuel economy?

As you would expect going from a road bias tyre to off road/road. A bit noisier, it handles different but not worse, fuel is down a bit. Thumbs Up

Andrew, love the off road pics etc, any further thoughts on the tyres a year on?
    My Tyre guy is keen on fitting the grabber AT3's as correct rating but i found sidewalls bit soft previously so have been using BFG on other stuff,
    I like the look of the Duratracs and noticed the discos at paris how have them fitted by LR.

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Labbix

For what it’s worth: I had the grabbers, previous version, on the D4, lots of aquaplaning, changed to the Duratrecs, which were a lot better. But was 19 inch, looking now for the 20 ones in Albania, but not available over here.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Duratrac’s are the best. Now available 255/55 R20. As soon as my Pirelli wear out I’m going to get a set.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum