Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Smart / Keyless system fault

Hi all. I am new to this forum, but thought it worth a post to advise of what may be a new issue.

I have a D5 HSE Lux 2018 MY which was purchased in Feb 2018. Other that a couple of minor issues on delivery - fault with one of the 3rd row seats (loose item causing obstruction) and some of the passenger seat functions not working (wire not connected), it had been otherwise a very nice car.

However, after only 1000 miles the car began to refuse to open when grabbing the door handles, or even pressing any of the fob buttons. In addition, it gave a warning beep when trying to start the car - stating smart key not found. Obviously you can use the emergency function by holding the key next to steering wheel.

No issue with fob batteries, and both fobs do exactly the same. Strangely, by trial and error, I found that waving the fob in various areas outside the car whilst holding the door handle would eventually work, and once inside, placing the fob on the centre cubby hole storage box would allow it to be detected so that the car would start - but not if fob was in my pocket inches away.. This struck me as a reduced signal issue, probably from the car end.

Occasionally it would prove near impossible to get in (without resorting to flipping the handle covers off).

The car has been with the dealer for over 3 weeks now. They acknowledged the fault but do not know how to fix it - nothing on the database. Land Rover technical support had no idea and it was referred to engineering. The latest update is that they 'think' it is a transmitter in the car, but there is currently no way of ordering one of these!! It seems they are produced for the production line, but not as a spare part order.

Whilst it is nice to have use of various other models supplied by the dealer, who have been very apologetic and understanding, that is not really the point. I have also knowledge of another vehicle exhibiting the same symptoms, and they are looking to see what fix eventually happens with mine, but at this stage there is no end in sight.

As car is 4 months old with 1000 miles on it, I am seriously considering rejecting it before it reaches 6 months old. It is bad enough spending this sort of money on a car and finding faults, but you at least expect parts / knowhow to allow a fix.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Reject and get replacement car, absolutely no chance of fixing and having a reliable car once they rip it apart.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm with jimbg, reject it in writing and get a new car ordered. You might even get a discount from the dealership for the trouble!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • davidls
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Carpathian Grey

Interestingly I have seen the message and picture “Smart Key not detected” whilst driving and when I can physically see the key in the cup holder. It has only happened once or twice and has never refused to open.
    The problem seems to display and stay for longer each time before disappearing again, however I did notice that the last time one of the rear doors wasn’t closed properly and the warning hazard was on as well as the red door symbol.

After slowing and allowing the passenger to open and close the door the fault also cleared.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Interesting. You may want to keep an eye on that.

Just for info, from trial and error when mine first played up, I noticed that opening a door tends to trigger the car to search for the key. Presumably in case you are getting out with the key in your pocket when the engine is running. I had to get rid of the warning by holding the key fob in an area inside the car that i knew it would detect, open and then close the door again. Then it would check and find the key and stop the annoying message.
  • davidls
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Carpathian Grey

Thanks Chopsey, I will monitor it more closely. Also interesting is mine is also a MY2018, HSE purchased March 2018 but it was delivered to the dealer at the end of January so probably built a similar time to yours.
  • Qwertyd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I would challenge whether the required parts cannot be ordered. My new D5 had keyless problems on delivery that were quickly confirmed due to the transmitter(s) not being fitted on the passenger side when built! Parts were sent and the dealer stripped and fitted. I’m now complaining about all the greasy marks left on the interior!
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 

Hi Chopsy, any update?
    My car now appears to have developed exactly the same problem you have described. It was fine for the first few weeks but slowly it became more hesitant to open, eventually I had to always get the get out my pocket and hold it to the car, then I started getting no key found messages and had to hold the key in order to start the car. I changed keys but no difference. I’ve changed key batteries, but no difference. I now don’t lock the car at night because I get Censored off standing in the rain waiting for the car to open.
    I can’t refind the post, but I remember recently reading a post about low car battery possibly causing this issue and yesterday my car gave a low battery warning, WTF? It gets driven every day, long runs. I have nothing plugged in, nor do I have a tracker which could drain the main battery.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Hi.
    Sorry to hear that yours has now reached the same stage as mine. I think this could affect even more cars going forward.
    Basically the situation with mine is much as my last post. My dealership have been very helpful but insist that landrover have no spares of the part required and there is no indication of when that might change. They have provided me with various replacements whilst mine is off the road. It has been approx 11 weeks.
    The dealership agreed several weeks ago that this situation was wholly unacceptable and my car is rejected. They are arranging for a new one.
    I never suffered low battery issues on mine. Didn't get chance. Only had 1200 miles on clock.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Also meant to say that I have read somewhere that leaving your car unlocked for long periods can drain battery faster. More systems working in background or something?

So perhaps lock it overnight and take the complimentary dealer supllied umbrella with you whilst you try to get in. Now you know why they give you those!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

jimbg wrote:
    Reject and get replacement car, absolutely no chance of fixing and having a reliable car once they rip it apart.

Sorry but would disagree with that
    Every chance it will be fixed and never have any issues associated with the problem as long as it does s a good dealer who take pride in their work
    My guess it is an internal transmitter beeceivee and that they will
    Probably remove and replace them all with total keyless system along with two new keys
    The issue is time and if you are prepared to wait I was in similar position with new D4 and new 3 litre engine when they came out LR didn’t have the spares and did not know how to fix fault I was put in a LR management car for six months and looked afte very well (trip to Finland) etc and all sorted in the end

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 

I didn’t get a complimentary umbrella!
    Now I’m really Censored off!
  • Labbix

JLR treats everyone as they please Wink
    You must have been too easy!
    But no worries, I got nothing neither and am waiting since more than 3! months now for solutions as well...
  • Labbix

It’s skoda that gives umbrellas and flashlights and ... not JLR !
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

Qwertyd5x wrote:
    I didn’t get a complimentary umbrella!
    Now I’m really Censored off!

LOL we got a complimentary picnic basket full of goodies too Laughing Mr. Green Thumbs Up

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum