Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Not only are we guessing at the sample size but, from having filled out their surgery forms myself, no evidence is required that you have ever owned, or even driven, the car that you’re reporting on!

Heck, I could use it to make up a mischievous report on “my” BMW X5 next time Laughing
  • Labbix

Agreed, but the faults and ‘fixes’ section here is quite big, isn’t it... and more faults than fixes, at least that’s my experience with my D5.
    Don’t get me wrong, I hugely appreciate this website, but the faults sections shouldn’t have been this big.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Tell me about it!! Laughing
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Two things to keep in mind:
    1) what are people complaining about? "Issues with non-engine electrics were the most prevalent – with one in ten owners spending time taking their car to the garage to have the on-board computer software fixed." I think if you look into this, mostly it's "my infotainment isn't working." Solution: reinstall software. Why is ICTP on Phase 5 with a car only just entering its third model year? Hardly something that's going to leave you stranded on the side of the road.
    2) luxury vehicle brands sell vehicles to people who pay good money and who expect everything to work just right - and who are not afraid to complain about it, and have the time and freedom to book their vehicles in for service because the infotainment system keeps freezing up. People who have to get to work or they don't get paid (or don't get paid at *that* job for much longer) drive their Fords and VWs with check engine lights lit forever.

Aside from the diesel oil dilution issue, mine has only had one problem manifest, fixed with a software update - that was the "incorrect DEF quality" error and that was within weeks of delivery. I've been very pleased with mine so far.

The ICTP infotainment is slow to react, but once you've prodded it off its lazy ass and it sets to doing what you've prodded it to do, it works fine. In my experience, this is unfortunately par for the course for most infotainment systems, so JLR doesn't really stand out negatively here to me.

The other issues that were handled under recall - air suspension fault, HVAC fault, probably one or two other things - were corrected (so far) without the problems occurring beforehand. It just so happens I had those fixed while it was in for oil changes. With a completely new model, I expect a certain amount of software updates, preventive corrections, etc. Unfortunately, someone has to experience them in order to bring them to light. Hopefully for owners and JLR, those are high-mileage JLR testers rather than owners. I think Rich Uncle Tata is helping here.

The diesel dilution issue so far isn't a reliability or even a quality issue, necessarily - it's a problem in design, either software or hardware. And the results are at worst costing owners and JLR money, at best it's keeping the engine in clean oil which reduces wear and may actually extend the operating life of the 3L engine.

The days of catching fire after driving through a puddle and sarcastic Lucas Electric jokes from tow truck drivers are long past. I see many Land Rover / Range Rovers on the roads that are less than 10 years old - Jaguars, fewer, but they've always been rare here.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Labbix wrote:
    Agreed, but the faults and ‘fixes’ section here is quite big, isn’t it... and more faults than fixes, at least that’s my experience with my D5.
    Don’t get me wrong, I hugely appreciate this website, but the faults sections shouldn’t have been this big.

Go look at similar sections for other vehicles - jeepforum.com, vwvortex.com, and others. Knowing Dieselgate was coming for my Touareg, I spent about 2 years scouring the forums of brands that I was considering as a replacement. I spent a lot of time looking at the Range Rover Sport waiting for the D5 to come out, and what I found was that while Jeep Grand Cherokees, for instance, seemed to have common problems from many owners (transfer case, transmission failures, rippling/splitting dash leather, etc), the 2014+ Range Rover Sport did not. There were many problems, yes, but there weren't many of the same problem being reported over and over, and none of them had "names" known by the community just by their title - like Porsche's "IMS Bearing Failure" or the "cylinder liner" issue from Land Rovers past.

Also keep in mind that there is no "everything's OK alarm" on forums like these - when there are problems, people come to forums to talk about them and try to get resolution. You don't generally see forum posts titled, "Another trouble-free day!" or "What's working perfectly on your Land Rover?" because people expect that to be the case.
  • Labbix

Ok, let’s start a thread and see Wink
    “Another trouble-free day!" or "What's working perfectly on your Land Rover?"
  • Jay
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

As stated by others the majority of the issues are software issues. I not defending LR as the last thing I want or expect is to have to take my car for unscheduled visits to the dealer.

But its not breaking down at the side of road like most would assume 'least reliable' means or having an engine bursting into flames like the Ford eco tech engine.

It is no surprise that the least unreliable brands are also have the most complex systems on them. If you want a car that will not suffer from software issues buy a Duster.
  • Labbix

Ok, but I was stranded with my car and 3 kids in Macedonia, due to the activity key and a non working car key, none of the kids nor the wife were very happy.

Now I’m in Greece: no music, apart from local radio as USB’s not working, Bluetooth to the phone continuously dropping and rear entertainment system ‘not available’.

Wife even less happy, doesn’t want the car anymore and the kids want their German car back. So what can I tell them, be happy we didn’t strand again like a few weeks ago? Maybe I should have bought a Dacia Duster?? Come on folks, all this is totally unacceptable and we deserve better, way better.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Now here's a shock.
    You would have thought that after 5 years, they would have some of the problems ironed out at least? 🤔

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

No shock really, they continue to go from bad to worse and they don’t really care!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s like most things, until your the one hit by a breakdown and subsequent repair, you swear by the brand and dismiss horror stories as happening to a minority.

I’ve had it happen to a D4, now a D5. Very light miles on both, the cars weren’t very old, I do not drive like Stirling Moss,

Anyway, the numbers of people effected are quite high. Just go onto the Facebook, Land Rover SD4 engine Failure Group and read the stories. You will be astounded. You might have to join to read, I think it’s a closed group.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I’m one who has also had an SD4 failure, and LR fixed it even with it being over a year out of warranty, so I try and keep things in context. There are over 1.5M ingenium engines out there so the number of failures is possibly still in single digit percentages and not really any different from other manufacturers. It doesn’t make it any easier when you’re the one sitting waiting for the recovery truck to arrive.

It then becomes a trust thing, can I trust my car to get me where I want to be, I now have lost that trust so going to a Volvo next.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I got rid of the D4, it never sounded right after a major repair to the gearbox done under the 3 year warranty, but I did purchase a new Disco Sport in its place - I needed a reliable car and the D5 wasn’t out. After a couple of years, it too needed extensive warranty work. I traded it in and got another.

Anyway, I had a mixture of problems from day one and ended up in a bitter dispute with the dealership, but eventually got it rejected. I’d had it over six months, but it was either in the garage or waiting to go into the garage for 5 of those months.

I then purchased the D5 and all was well with the world until recently when the engine went Censored up.

That’s my negatives and I didn’t even get started on my D3.

The Facebook group I mentioned is specifically to share the horror stories and give advice and experience on what to do with an engine failure. It passed 300 members a little while back.

Personally, I’d like to see the LR figures, but of course that won’t be made public, but either I am unlucky or LR are an unreliable brand and I’d suggest their true figures are a lot higher compared to other brands.

To be honest, I think anyone with a D5 is sitting on a time bomb. It’s not a case of if, but when.
  • Whippetman
    England 

When mine got recovered for the engine failure I was told there were 10+ Jaguar also awaiting delivery of new engines but they were on back order….

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I think LR will do anything to keep it out of the public domain, hence owners with no warranty etc. being given 50% up to the full cost of the engine replacement. If those figures leaked, the Censored really would hit the fan on customer orders.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum