Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

I had the same cars on my list an regret I didn’t buy the Q7, but my wife found it too small inside and it didn’t have a spare wheel, something useful in some countries. The D5 should have been the best car, but because it’s soft- and even hardware failure I really regret I bought it. I have it 5 months now and it wasn’t even 1 day without a fault and it is continuously at the dealer...
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I wouldn’t have bought mine if I’d known. Today I’ve written to finance company ( Land Rover) to start process of rejection. Mine needed oil change after only 10wks/4,500 miles. Covered by warranty, but dealer said, despite N222 software update, they couldn’t claim it was fixed and to expect a repeat.
  • Landroverfan1
    United Kingdom 

Many thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know if Land Rover have either come up with or are working on a fix to the dilution issue?
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

Mine's a company car, 1.5 years into a 4 year lease. I've got the option to buy it for £27k at the end of the lease. Current thinking is they can have it back and I'll be looking elsewhere for my next car.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Even with three previous diesel LRs that were apparently prone to this, I never had a problem nor needed a premature service, I just wonder if it’s because I am never stuck in traffic jams nor slow moving traffic?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Landroverfan1 wrote:
    Many thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know if Land Rover have either come up with or are working on a fix to the dilution issue?

The question remains whether it's an actual dilution issue, or just a bit of overzealous software.

The N222 update *may* address this problem but it's new enough that nobody who has had it has had their vehicle demand service significantly short of the promised interval yet.
  • Jim4244

Hi

I came across to the forum from the RRS forum as I’m looking at options when it comes to replacing my L494 next year.

Reading the threads about oil dilution and Land Rover CRC indifference to owners problems has convinced me that my next vehicle will not be a D5 Disco. I fact I think that I will be ditching Land Rover all together.

My wife went from an Evoque to a Volvo XC40 this year and has really enjoyed the change. She loved her Evoque and it never had a problem but she just feels that the XC40 is better put together and has more useful features.

I think that I will be looking at the XC90 and probably the VW Touareg.

Jim
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

As the MY19 now has the RRS engine, has this stopped the oil dilution issue?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

As far as I can tell (4250 miles so far), yes.......but still monitoring the situation.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Tagnuts
    United Kingdom 

OIl changes

Hi I have a D5 HSE LUX, it has had 3 oil changes within a year and only covered 16k, each one of these was £260 from the dealer - Very unhappy this is a mis-sold con. LR have taken the best vehicle in the world and reduced it to a car that is now impractical, god help you if you want to cover many miles. I wish I had my D4 back. I will not be buying another Disco due to this and the reply from LR which is a joke and the way my dealer JCT just goes to default - REPORT IT LR!, Owning a new £70k vehicle should be a proud momment - I actually feel conned after 1 year and now just want to sell.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

You’re not alone, it seems to be a common problem with the newer diesel Land Rovers of whatever ilk.

Having rejected a LR before for matters unrelated, it’s not an easy nor quick process. It took me 5 months and more time and emails than I care to remember. It caused a lot of friction with the dealership and it was only when I told them I was signing the terms of engagement with my Solicitor and we’d then go formal on it that they conceded without admitting fault.

On reflection it would be a close call if Id ever do it again and that shouldn’t be for a legitimate complaint.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I had a new tdv6 but not for long enough to see if the oil dilution developed. I only had 1200 miles on it before other faults developed and I too rejected it.

My experience with my dealer was that they were superb. No arguement. Ordered identical one immediately but by then it was the sdv6 (result!). Ok, it took 6 months to arrive, but i was loaned a similar spec Disco for the whole duration.

On delivery of the replacement, I was treated as well as I was when I bought the first one.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Dealership experiences vary considerably.

I was treated like scum by one that I bought a new LR from earlier this year and ended up rejecting.

I purchased my D5 from Guy Salmon in Stockport in August and it was a pleasant experience.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I bought 3.0 Litre naively thinking that I wouldn’t be affected as at the time it appeared that not all were showing signs of dilution, my experience resembles most on here, the dealer has been and still is fantastic, Although the guy on the service desk could be a tad more understanding !

JLR as a manufacturer have been absolutely pathetic, disgusting in fact ! To have a brand new vehicle continue to throw up this kind of problem is beyond reasoning, what makes matters worse for me is they refuse point blank to accept any form of responsibility and have laid the blame firmly at my door. By my very nature when I am guilty and some one points the finger it makes my blood curdle so you can imagine my disgust at being held responsible for this.

I’ve been waiting a week for an ultimatum from the dealer, as I write this now I think it’s the final nail, I’ll ring them tomorrow and try again to reject it, the last time they pleaded with me and asked for that one last time to rectify the issue and mines had 4 oil changes in 9K miles and it’s getting shorter every time.

I’ll be buying an X5, not really a BMW man but then again thanks to JLR customer service, I’m not a Landy man either

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Labbix

+1 and apart from the dilution issue my car has never been without other faults since day 1, almost 7 months in a row now and still (and in total various months now) at the dealer. Most off the time they have to contact JLR as the problems seem worse than pure software. Every time the final decision was to change the hardware as well, total cost now almost 5000€, and over here the dealer only charges 30€/hour, way less then in main Europe, so figure out how much it would have cost in Britain for instance. Now everything is paid for by JLR, but what once out of warranty...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum