Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• NILR
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

The car is booked in for September.

At the moment they are going to take the two outer middle row headrests out. They can disconnect the cable and when we want to put them back in they will reconnect them. They have offered not to charge for this. . The only way they can do this is to take the seat apart. My seats are electric the middle test in the middle row we’ll leave in as we only have two children.

I have a call outstanding with JLR which hopefully means we’ll talk next week.

I agree with you. It’s a disgraceful carry on. The children are 9 and 11 and by having to do this JLR implicitly admit to designing a car which will not take properly fitting group 2/3 seats for older children.

I’ll keep you posted.
  • Labbix

Thanks, I appreciate it a lot if you would keep me posted!
    FYI: with the middle head rest out you will have a superb view in your mirror, as this one blocks the view a lot...
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you not keep the middle dropped as the default position?
  • Labbix

Nope, as this is now the only place where I can put the child seat in the correct position (without the head rest)
  • NILR
    United Kingdom 

So had JLR come back and, no surprise, said the car - as designed - has no issues re group 2/3 car seats Rolling Eyes

The dealer has offered to take two headrests out but to be honest it cements in my mind that the 5 is a bit of a lemon. Too much complexity and less practical.

I’ll mull on it a bit but buying.a car with a 60k+ list should not need mechanic dismantling to get child seats to fit. It adds to a list that includes a boot with a bit of a mind of its own, helpful buttons in the boot that activate if your luggage moves Evil or Very Mad ,parking sensors with little inclination to earn their keep and an infotainment system that’s frequently sluggish.

Had a 4 before hand. Annoyed I changed it. Will head towards Germany or Sweden me thinks.
  • Labbix

Can only (and fully) conform this. I had a 4 before and no issues, the discovery 5 is the opposite, unfortunately. Land Rover is 100% lying to its customers about how practically designed the new car is, but if every few 1000 miles you have to come in for an oil change, orherwise the car may decide not to start anymore, or seats to be dismanteld by the dealers to be able to correctly fit a normal child seat, cameras not working as it should, ... these are clearly design faults they do not want to admit, they are shameless.

I’m waiting for the new GLS, although for now I wish I had bought the Q7 or that the XC90 would still have more than 4 cylinders...
  • NILR
    United Kingdom 

Car went in for a number of items to be fixed and for them to look at.

Advised that taking out the headrest is a bad idea as will impact electrics involved in folding the seats. To then put them back in would mean a visit to the dealer.

Since I’m awaiting the fix of 6 or so electrical faults I felt that was probably pushing my luck. Electrics are far from robust - evidenced today by What Car calling out Range Rover as least reliable large SUV and disco 5 scoring 9 places lower than Disco 4.

So left with choice of 1/ knacker headrest with group 2/3 seat leaning on them, compromise kids and put them on booster cushions or chop it in...
  • Labbix

I took the middle head rest out, no electrical issues, but no Isofix of course...
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Has anyone got any further info on headrest removal please?

I'm taking delivery of my new disco HSE Lux in December and I'll need to fit three child seats

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Labbix

I have 3 child seats in it, the smallest seats at the outsides (with Isofix), the biggest seat in the middle where the headrest is out.
    I can fit bigger child seats in the outside positions as well, but than not perfectly positioned, but just ok... not possible to take these head rests out though
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi
    Thanks for your reply Labbix
    You're absolutely certain there's no way to remove the headrests then Neutral

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Labbix

If you really want them to be removed you can, but the dealer ‘thinks’ the electrical stuff from the seats will not work anymore (moving, heating) the middle one is not heated anyway, but even with its headrest out it moves... you can try and tell us what you get with the outer ones Wink I have 7 seater, no idea if the 5 seaters electrical setup is different, but I suppose you have 7 seats as well. The cable in the headrest is just an electrical plug, but you have to dismantle the seat to be able to reach this plug, it’s like a click n play system actually.
  • Labbix

This is what it looks like:

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

I was hoping it was a single core cable with an earth picked up locally via the seat fixings.
    It would then have been possible to cut the cable as it exits the seat and crimp on a bullet connector and then tie a piece of string around the cable and drop it back into the seat, using the string to retrieve the cable when refitting the headrest.

This may still be possible but using two bullets staggered on the wires so they don't enter through the hole in the seat at the same time.

When I finally get my car mid December I'll see if this is possible.
    Cheers
    AJ

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum