Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

aha LR told me I was driving it wrong since I was doing long motorway journey's, they don't allow the DPF to get hot enough, neither do short journey's.

Was told I need to drive fast normal road journey's and keep the revs above 2000 to make it regen. not sure how you keep the revs above 2000, since even when using paddles, after a couple of minutes of not touching paddles it automatically swaps back to auto mode out of command shift and changes up.,

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

It does seem strange that none of my three filter and oil changes, Software updates and other various problems, which are now sorted, are not shown on my service record either.
    According to the Service record my vehicle has been perfect from the PDI service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

It is all a con now, they only log the PDI and scheduled services. Shocked
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Yep seems that way

Assume when i have my next early oil change that I'll need to pay for, i get a formal invoice as proof even though they dont record it against the car

anyone know how often in theory the car is likely to try a regen?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    DieselRanger, I totally understand all you've said, shame that JLR cant employ a software engineer to get their detection to work correctly, to the point they have given up and dumped the engine in the form it was in the Td6 completely.

As it stands, our Td6 models will depreciate considerably quicker than expected due to the continual additional oil changes required (and huge related cost and inconvenience) to ensure the warranty remains and the service warnings are cleared.

Still very tempted after 4 months to pursue my dealers offer to buy back and go for something with a lesser spec and less servicing costs.

There are sensors available that directly measure oil viscosity but sadly they were not used in the Td6 engine. N222 is supposed to address this, but it's not compatible with MY17 for some reason.

After the warranty period expires, I'll be switching to Mobil 1 ESP and changing every 10,000 miles no matter what the vehicle thinks it needs.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

mordred1973 wrote:
    aha LR told me I was driving it wrong since I was doing long motorway journey's, they don't allow the DPF to get hot enough, neither do short journey's.

Was told I need to drive fast normal road journey's and keep the revs above 2000 to make it regen. not sure how you keep the revs above 2000, since even when using paddles, after a couple of minutes of not touching paddles it automatically swaps back to auto mode out of command shift and changes up.,

You can accomplish a "passive" regen by doing what they suggest. I recommend once every two weeks or so. And test your oil. No matter what the vehicle says, this testing your oil until you get a "pattern of life" for your vehicle is the only way to be sure.

If you put it in Sport mode and use the paddles, it holds the gear unless it either gets too close to redline or drops too low in RPM.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

How many miles do u drive it like that tho to get it to regen? I know on the old Volvo they said it did a regen roughly once per tank of fuel.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

DieselRanger wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:
    DieselRanger, I totally understand all you've said, shame that JLR cant employ a software engineer to get their detection to work correctly, to the point they have given up and dumped the engine in the form it was in the Td6 completely.

As it stands, our Td6 models will depreciate considerably quicker than expected due to the continual additional oil changes required (and huge related cost and inconvenience) to ensure the warranty remains and the service warnings are cleared.

Still very tempted after 4 months to pursue my dealers offer to buy back and go for something with a lesser spec and less servicing costs.

There are sensors available that directly measure oil viscosity but sadly they were not used in the Td6 engine. N222 is supposed to address this, but it's not compatible with MY17 for some reason.

After the warranty period expires, I'll be switching to Mobil 1 ESP and changing every 10,000 miles no matter what the vehicle thinks it needs.

I wont be running it outside of warranty not a chance of that!

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

EMcC wrote:
    It does seem strange that none of my three filter and oil changes, Software updates and other various problems, which are now sorted, are not shown on my service record either.
    According to the Service record my vehicle has been perfect from the PDI service.

Same here just checked...but then I'm not complaining if i ever had to try and sell it...
    In a way I'm glad its on finance...definitely would never own one out of warranty.

My uncles got a D4 with major engine issues out of warranty , JLR quoted 18K to sort.. Shocked Shocked
    so he's doing it by independent,
    They walking away from any responsibility as he missed a service... Confused

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

mordred1973 wrote:
    How many miles do u drive it like that tho to get it to regen? I know on the old Volvo they said it did a regen roughly once per tank of fuel.

Need to run it for probably a good 30-40 min at roughly 3,000 RPM to get the exhaust temps high enough to accomplish a passive regen.

Note that since there's no way to know when the vehicle's DPF is sufficiently clogged (active regen is supposedly initiated when the pressure differential between inlet and outlet of the DPF reaches a certain value, indicating it needs a regen to clean it out), then it's hard to tell if initiating a passive regen is doing anything at all.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

mordred1973 wrote:

As long as mine remains as reliable as it has been, I'll drive mine until the wheels fall off....
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

As you say no way of knowing when to thrash the panys off it for 40 minutes (almost means an intentional journey too, since where can you guarantee to be able to drive along at 3000rpm for more than half an hour?) As i have saod to Land rover, the car is not fit for purpose and will be massively hit value wise once people realise.

Hehe i have run mine for 4 months, looking unlikely i will run it for another 4 months as dont fancy the huge servicing bills of close on £2k per annum

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

DieselRanger wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:

As long as mine remains as reliable as it has been, I'll drive mine until the wheels fall off....

I will drink to that mine is coming up to the second service at about 40plus K

Now do I Start thinking about a winch Very Happy

Last edited by Blackfly on 29th Jan 2019 9:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Brooks1sr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Just looked at the online service record and does say annual services but also says any service related items I would think oil and filter being a major service related item and also states that every time you visit a approved centre it gets updated dealers telling porkys told me only annual service are updated
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Well only the PDI and annual services are listed on mine, none of the interim oil changes or any other work.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum