Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Blackfly wrote:
    DieselRanger wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:

I wont be running it outside of warranty not a chance of that!

As long as mine remains as reliable as it has been, I'll drive mine until the wheels fall off....

I will drink to that mine is coming up to the second service at about 40plus K

Now do I Start thinking about a winch Very Happy

And rock rails, and lights, and 18" wheels and.... Twisted Evil
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:

Hehe i have run mine for 4 months, looking unlikely i will run it for another 4 months as dont fancy the huge servicing bills of close on £2k per annum

If you really don't enjoy the vehicle, then do what you have to do.

If, aside from the frequent oil changes, you like it then I would buy a nice fluid vacuum for a hundred bucks, and buy an oil change kit from LR (oil, filter) while under warranty when needed and do off-cycle oil changes in your garage. The fluid vacuum would pay for itself after about the 2nd or 3rd DIY oil change, and the oil and filter are probably fifty bucks all in each time. You'll save the 120/hour they charge for labor and the inconvenience of a dealer service visit. With the vacuum, oil changes take about 15 minutes and they're no mess, no lift needed. I'm sure your LR dealer or a local auto parts store (these are common in the US...) would take the used oil for free, or you'd pay a nominal recycling fee at a municipal waste facility.

Ad blue is cheap too - for us it's $12 for 2.5gal, and when you're getting your most dire AdBlue warnings, it's a hair under two containers to fill it, and no more inconvenient than refilling your windscreen fluid.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I never intended keeping mine outside of the warranty period, It appears that you guy's in the U.S. get a way better experience and product than us in theU.K. ? Customer care and indeed satisfaction is rock bottom over here, My father bought a LADA Niva Cossack in the 80's and got better support than i have with this thing.

For me the last thing i thought i would be doing all winter is running backwards and forwards to the dealer for weeks on end with something that they dont know how to resolve "BECAUSE THE MANUFACTURER WILL NOT ACCEPT IT IS FAULTY"

The dealer is saying one thing...... the manufacturer just keeps wanting it back so that LR Techncal can asses the situation and the end result is that the vehicle is conducting a higher than normal Re-Generation rate with 25% of this higher than anticipated number failing due to the customers driving style ?

Yet..... JLRP00100 states quite clearly that because of hardware and architecture issues regarding EU6b regulations the vehicle is performing a higher than anticipated number of partial re-gens resulting in Oil Dilution. "IRRESPECTIVE OF THERE BEING NO FUEL IN THE OIL THIS IS WHAT JLR CALL IT"

So they produce a document stating that it has hardware faults 6 Months before i purchase my vehicle, they explain to the dealerships exactly what they must say to the customer by flow charts and boxes, they make NO effort to explain the Oil Dilution problem, the increased ammount of services, software updates, down time etc, special requirements for driving at increased rev's for 30 mins plus and then get you to pay for the inconvenience !

Rolling with laughter

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Have you sat there with the dealer and the document?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

N222v3 for MY18 looks promising. It was applied at 10,100km and showed 12,350km to a service. I've done 2,200km since and the next service is due in 10,950km, which should get me to early July when I've had the car a year.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Have you sat there with the dealer and the document?

No, They just blamed the manufacturer, The manufacturer told me that the resolution laid with the Finance Company, They sent out a letter two weeks before the vehicle was looked tp say that the vehicle was fit for purpose and free from fault ? which turned out to be correct as 2 weeks latetr i got the all clear with a your driving wrong email ! and the manufacturer is having nothing to do with any of it stating that my concern lays firmly with the retailer whilst they maintain that the fault was present at the point of manufacture ?

It's an absolute joke !

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

got same replies Chalkey, in fact the reply was verbatim form the "leaked" JLR note to dealers and again told my (much longer than yours) service intervals are due to me driving on a combination of short journeys and motorways journey's neither of which cause a regen. So I am supposed now to keep taking it on additional A road journey's and lock it into 4th gear and drive at a constrant 3000 RPM for 30-40 minutes to get it to regen, but the dealer can't tell me how often to do that since they don't know when the DPF is nearly full.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

It's like the Blind leading the Blind Rolling with laughter

i can imagine similar instances to this in the early 1900's when the STANLEY Steam car was being replaced with the then modern internal combustion engine,

You can imagine the conversations that were being held over fuel, oil and driving style.... Fast forward 100 years and it's still a topic of concern to some, I am struggling to imagine trying to hold on to 3,000 rev's for 40 min's, imagine getting into that and and after half an hour you have to stop at traffic lights......

I would imagine in germany it's pretty straightforward, but here with all the roundabouts and traffic lights and congested motorways !
    Big Cry

It's gone from not being able drive short journey's to not being able to do mtwy journeys to driving it like a boy racer revving the gonads off it sideways round corners, through red lights and straight over roundabouts in fear of it falling off the re gen cycle. That's gonna hit the real world driving figures hard !

And then having to explain to a Police officer that you cant drive below 3,000 revs or your cant won't work........

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter

sorry can't help laughing at that

did think, perhaps I need to schedule a run on the motorway at 22:00 one night every 2 weeks, then realised the M1 is mostly 50mph cameras, so I will now need to be in second gear and hold it for the 40 mins

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

And there in lies the problem. because there are no hard shoulders any more as soon as something stops on the inside lane it's 40MPH, go under that at 45 and you just earned yourself a ticket, some points and brew money for the Old Bill...

The parameters dropp off and it becomes a failed re gen if it becomes interrupted, according to JLR it is these interupted or partial re gens that skew the figures.

From what i have learned this morning... the pathway from the sensor or reader was shared in that various signals were being sent to the CPU along the same pathway, this has been split in the form of N222V.3 or whatever it is at now,,, the MY18 vehicle was addressed in production to await an update to segregate the pathway in that each sensor now has it's own uninterupted route in to the vehicles CPU resulting in lesser misread readings from the algorithm created to actively work out service intervals.

SUBJECT TO CHANGE ! Without prior notice, consultation or recourse.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Ad blue is cheap too - for us it's $12 for 2.5gal, and when you're getting your most dire AdBlue warnings, it's a hair under two containers to fill it, and no more inconvenient than refilling your windscreen fluid.[/quote]

Oh god year Adblue is dirt cheap I wouldn't drive 30 miles each way to dealerr for that, I just buy it at local motorist centre (although noticed Aldi now also sell it) and it was £10 for 10litres. Took about 17 litres. Have no issues over Adblue it's on everything now and its cheap and easy.

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

RE AdBlu, with a service program its FOC as you will be aware.

If you turn up at set times at our dealer they do it straight away and top screen wash etc.

wife's be a few times says its hassle free and 10 mins plus free coffee etc so she doesnt mind.. Laughing

(need to check it but from my rough calcs the service program pays for itself easily:
    Say 12x fill ups at £25 each thats £300 plus services etc The £725 seems a no brainer)

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

agreed, the service pack was good value a) if you bought the car new so it was offered and b) if it was still offered but I see they've withdrawn them.

Having said that, even if I had the service pack I wouldn't drive a 60 mile round trip to the dealer for them to top up something worht £20 for me to do.

Alas, now, it is £650 for one annual service it seems....

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

fair enough we are only 15 mins or so from new monster showroom.
    Hate to think how much they spent on it.. Shocked

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Brooks1sr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

jimbg wrote:
    It is all a con now, they only log the PDI and scheduled services. Shocked
    just had my dealer confirm they can add additional service related work when I asked the service manager to add all additional work he replied are you sure you want to do this as it is on a public domain ? And also said iF you were to sell the vehicle will you be happy for people to see the history don't think he thought about this before he sent it to me 😂
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum