Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Any advice to avoid this happening to the boot again?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... soooooo cross with myself for this. Leaving work tonight, I accidentally hit the boot open button in my pocket and popped the boot open straight into a brick wall. Thankfully I was reversed up to it REALLY close to it didn't hit with much impact, but still enough to leave these scratches...

Any tips for a clever fix on the market for this - like a piece of trim you can fit to avoid it happening again and messing the paintwork?

Or does anyone reckon I could patch the most obvious bits with a touch up stick from Land Rover? Keen to avoid having to get the smart repairs bloke over as that's always £££.

Take such pride in keeping my car immaculate! SO CROSS!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Take a few more photos, carn't work out wear the scratches are👍

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I guess the damage is to the bottom edge of the tailgate. If I'm correct, its plastic so won't rust. Is santorini an enhanced metallic? Even so you might get a touch up pen. In regard to preventative action, I don't think it's possible to fit a 'J' trim but a flattish surface applied trim in your choice of colour/finish could act as a buffer should the same happen again.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Yes it’s to the bottom edge of the tailgate. Glad to hear that’s plastic and i’ll See if I can get the touch up pen and make it as good as possible... for now.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

My comment will not help you, but I always wondered why the car manufacturers do not foresee a proximity sensor to prevent this? Only Tesla has this (for its gull-wing doors) and it works. One of the reasons as well I didn’t want the boot opening function with the feet movement as with my other cars this randomly opens with dogs, small kids, ... passing by and you always have to foresee some space behind the vehicle to prevent damage (and yes the boot slammed already a few times in kids faces, not good!) or watch the ceiling that it’s not to low neither... not very practical.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

How very true... a proximity sensor would do a world of good. But then think how many bodyshop claims and touch up paint sales they'd miss out on!

• Craigp
    England 

A proximity sensor might be quite difficult to engineer as it wouldn't know the difference between you and a wall. Maybe the answer would be to have the ability to disable the boot opening on the fob. However i use it quite often.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Being able to disable it would be great. If parked in a narrow space its easy to trigger opening and closing by mistake.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider wrote:
    I guess the damage is to the bottom edge of the tailgate. If I'm correct, its plastic so won't rust. Is santorini an enhanced metallic? Even so you might get a touch up pen. In regard to preventative action, I don't think it's possible to fit a 'J' trim but a flattish surface applied trim in your choice of colour/finish could act as a buffer should the same happen again.

Are you sure the leading edge of the tailgate is plastic ? I thought the tailgate was aluminium.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

It's metal and not plastic. Demonstrator we had on loan had a few chips along the bottom where I assume someone had hit it accidentally against a wall or scraped it on a low roof.
    Easiest thing is to get a stick plastic strip to cover the damage and prevent any more future damage.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sorry I assumed it was the bottom edge of the boot lid that you were referring too, which sits just above the rear bumper, not half way up which I just realised from the video.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 14th Feb 2019 11:04 pm. Edited 2 times in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Check this out Looks like plastic to me, and operative even says its plastic at 10;16.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    It's metal and not plastic. Demonstrator we had on loan had a few chips along the bottom where I assume someone had hit it accidentally against a wall or scraped it on a low roof.
    Easiest thing is to get a stick plastic strip to cover the damage and prevent any more future damage.

Sorry you are wrong on that, it is definatley plastic, part of the reason they cany make a rear ladder for it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Russell if you look at my post just above the video, you will see that I mistakenly thought it was the bottom of the tail gate, not half way up, hence reason I suggested a flexible chrome strip like I have on my cars boot lid.
    Yes it is plastic. I realise that now apologies. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 16th Feb 2019 10:27 am. Edited 2 times in total

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

Well. I never knew that. Things you learn eh Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum