Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Girlofwight
    United Kingdom 

Purchase questions - tyre profile and other issues

Good afternoon - question about buying used and tyres/wheels, but some into first.

I’ve been through a good part of the Land Rover Range

- 2000 Discovery
    - 2003 Range Rover
    - 2006 Volvo for a while
    - 2011 I bought a 2006 Freelander 1 as a weekend run around, planning to change Volvo for a Mercedes Coupe, but I loved the Freelander 1 - which I still have and would shower unreasonable amounts of money on to keep on the road - so not long after a new Freelander 2 HSE arrived which is probably the beet car I have ever owned. My partner has it now.
    - 2016 Discovery Sport HSE manual

I haven’t really got on with the Disco Sport. Too low, too small, more car than SUV. And my main bug bear is wheels and tyres. You know, my eyes glaze over on talking about styles and sizes of wheels, but I’ve never known a car like the Disco Sport for shredding nearside tyres. I’ve even glanced the same bit of kerb in a Freelander 1 v Disco Sport. Freelander bounced off. Disco needed new tyre. Same in France, three point turn, mounted a kerb, pop, side wall damage.

I’ve looked at the new Discovery on and off for a while, but headline price buying new put me off. I’m semi retired, work from home, and don’t do a huge mileage - current car has done 10k in 3 1/2 years.

However I’ve decided to change and buy approved used up to one year old, and I want to move quickly. The catalyst is I suffered a knee injury two years ago, and my left knee has now failed completely so 1 April it’s being replaced (auspicious date?). It makes a lot of sense to have an auto car and one that’s a bit higher.

I’m looking at HSE spec.

My questions I suppose are:

- How does the standard wheel and tyre spec on Discovery compare to Sport? Do people experience problems with the profile and damage?
    - Any buying concerns on SD4 engine and build 2018?

I don’t tow with car, or carry many passengers. It’s normally just me or me plus partner, and this car is the main weekday car, one for holidays, etc.

Thanks in anticipation
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The D5 is available with 19,20,21 or 22" wheels. The tyre profile depends on which wheels are fitted.

20" is standard on the HSE which have 140mm of sidewall which is plenty for on-road use and enough for off-road use. However, upgrading to bigger wheel sizes is common particularly for pre-registered cars so the one you buy might have bigger wheels and thinner tyres.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Hi Jon

I bought an 11 month old low mileage (3K) MY18 SD4 HSE last year, a dealer's demonstrator. I came from a late 2016 D4 HSE.
    I had the obvious concern of dropping down to a 2L from the D4 3.0L but to be honest its just as capable both on and off road. It's really quick when you want to press on and I've also have managed to get over 48mpg when 'driving like Miss Daisy'.

So far its been faultless and I've had no issues at all, mechanical or electrical. As for additional accessories or options, I've added some side steps, mainly for my diminutive better half and also to try to protect the doors. I've also just ordered some mud flaps. I don't tow anything other than a very small utility trailer to the tip once in a while so again the 2L engine is fine. The car came with a service package but again the service intervals seem to be quite far apart on the 2L.

I noticed today that there is a Land Rover 'Campaign' on the car in regard the DEF warnings (which has not effected my car).

On the down side is the VED cost which is ridiculous for a 2L (now mostly based on the value of the car to buy new).

Otherwise a fantastic vehicle!
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

They are great cars and miles and miles removed from the DS. I've driven the DS a few times when mine has been serviced and it's my least favourite car in the range I've said it in another thread so forgive me for repeating myself but I honestly believe that the Disco 5 is the best value car that Land Rover makes.

I think that the HSE trim is great and has a really impressive spec but I wouldn't rule out the HSE Lux as second hand the difference in price is negligible if you shop around and it does add a few nice extras. Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Ive got the 20" with Pirelli Scorpions, perfect wheel and Tyre and lots of sidewall rubber for nasty kerb stones !

2019 HSE LUX
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

With the 20" wheel size, you can upgrade to 275/55-20 over the original 255/55-20 and gain extra sidewall height (and thus resilience) without affecting articulation or turning. It may slightly affect fuel economy depending on the tire selected, however.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

My 2Ltr HSE came with 22"'s (285/40x22 tyres) and its quieter than the D4 on 20's or 21's. OK, you need to keep a close eye on kerbs (even more so with gloss black alloys Shocked )

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Girlofwight
    United Kingdom 

Many thanks for those replies. Collected a one year old 3.0 HSE today.

Really pleased, if a little peed off when I got home

Hopefully get that sorted next week. eBay wasn’t helpful.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Welcome
    That is a known warranty issue and should be quickly fixed by dealer

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Apologies for the late reply. Had the same issue. Known problem. Replaced with a new set, with new gaskets. New ones have fallen off as well, so awaiting a third set. Ridiculous to be falling off when powerwashing, especially on a premium vehicle. No issues with my car ever which is half the price Crying or Very sad

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

What’s fallen off Road Runner? The door lock trim? Will need to be careful with the power washer on mine, if so. What needlessly rubbish build quality...

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Equilibrium, yes the small bit of the door lock trim as in the photo. Got a shock when it first fell off. (I am sure I put up photos in a previous post somewhere but I can't find them). Powerwasher was not even on full blast at the time and I was standing 6 foot away. There was a campaign on Topix regarding this. The garage told me it had something to do with the rubber seal/gasket. Well the replacements seemed alot tighter, but now after several months have both become loose again. You can easily take them off by hand. Car looked hideous with the trim missing. Looked as if someone had tried too pry it off and break in, attracting unwanted attention from passersby. Just as well I asked for the old ones back, as now stuck the spare one in until it gets the replacements. I agree, no need for the ill fitting bits. Probably the most touched part of the car when entering and exiting, so surely these areas of high contact should be really sturdy?
    Chocolate fireguard comes to mind Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Alarmingly hopeless Mr. Green

I'm currently putting up with the misaligned tailgate (at least I assume that's why my tailgate doesn't open 95% of the time unless I use the filthy button and handle) and a not-quite-right remote start function (engine switches off when the brake pedal is touched).

They are just full of these little issues that scream that they couldn't be bothered to test properly or fix known design issues years into the prod run (tailgate issues on MY2020s FFS).

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

That's ridiculous, cars half way through its mid life cycle and still the same recurring issues since launch.
    Got man to the moon and back 50 years ago ffs, and can't even use a spirit level to align the boot. Well it's all laser levels now. Maybe LR just do things by 👀 only Rolling Eyes
    By the time the issues have finally been ironed out, the D6 will have arrived and the circle of life will have started again Laughing

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Exactly that Road Runner Laughing

I forgot to mention the keyless locking which only works 66% of the time too. I've had a Toyota with this for 7+ years and never once encountered it not working, but LR have not managed to perfect it (my first one was fine, maybe 95% success rate, so it's just yet another example of random crapness).

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum