Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

I know a tow bal can/eventually will break off if used for other stuff it’s designed for (use as a recovery point) but a fixed recovery point (without the screw, as you get with the removable tow bar), seems pretty solid to me?
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Did anyone confirm 100% that the electric deployable has a screw in only? If so i'm so glad I went for manual removable. Does make you wonder if in the event of being forced to recover someone via your electric deployable what sort of damage you may cause to the mechanism?

Any recovery point could theoretically fail I guess but screw type are inherently prone to fail with heavy loading or snatching.
    Ive witnessed it....long story ..involving a Volvo and a telehandler... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed

But the Body mounted standard ones on D5 are better than most Ive seen on new production vehicles these days.

Last edited by LancsLad on 6th Mar 2019 5:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • Labbix

I don’t see the recovery point on my D5 as the weakest point Wink
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

IndusD4 wrote:
    I use rated shackles (4.5T or higher) to connect the snatch strap to a recovery point, at both ends.

Ron

I have rated shackles, but I've just invested in some soft shackles rated at 11.3T. (https://gigglepin4x4.net/gigglepin-superop...1566-p.asp)

I haven't had an opportunity to use them yet but they would hurt less if they hit you. Laughing

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I like them JonM, I just hope that the edges on the tow point doesn't chafe them.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Need to find someone with an electrically deployable two bar and get them to remove the plastic tow cover and take a picture as I did for the removable one

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Ill be taking one as soon as can, if anyone can get one before that works Thumbs Up

LancsLad - Looks like it is the case.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

There's a drawing in the installation instructions that shows the hole to screw the loop in to.

Click image to enlarge

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

JonM wrote:
    [I have rated shackles, but I've just invested in some soft shackles rated at 11.3T. (https://gigglepin4x4.net/gigglepin-superop...1566-p.asp)

I haven't had an opportunity to use them yet but they would hurt less if they hit you. Laughing

I'll look into those, like you say if they come loose they would do a lot less damage.

harrythespider wrote:
    I like them JonM, I just hope that the edges on the tow point doesn't chafe them.

After using any recovery gear you need to inspect it for damage. And replace it if needed!

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Labbix wrote:
    I know a tow bal can/eventually will break off if used for other stuff it’s designed for (use as a recovery point) but a fixed recovery point (without the screw, as you get with the removable tow bar), seems pretty solid to me?

Correct, the fixed recovery point with the removable tow bar is the one to use.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Had a cheeky look before pick up today.

• LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

well that settles that then!
    Gone are the days of hang on I'll just grab the Disco and drag you out... Whistle

That one point pretty much sums up Landrovers Future direction i guess... Rolling Eyes

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Mental note don't order the deployable tow bar then, I've pulled many a fence post and tree stump out the ground using the recovery point on the D4 don't know what i'd do without one.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

LancsLad wrote:
    Gone are the days of hang on I'll just grab the Disco and drag you out...

Not completely, you still have a proper recovery eye at the front. So turn around and reverse drag someone out.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Just a thought, Previous Discos had a seperate steel chassis with the tow eye attached so very substantial. Would it actually be a good idea to snatch tow using the D5 that doesn't have such a robust chassis ???
    I don't think I would be comfortable trying it.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum