Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

I wanted to do exactly the same, have the BlackVue battery pack as well, but as my car will be rejected and a new D5 will be ordered, the BlackVue is on the shelf for the time being... I don’t think you forgot something Wink and am quite sure other people already use this setup.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Why use the Blackvue battery pack as that seem very expensive, you can use an Anker power pack thye do the same job and are cheaper.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Its only £35 odd for the battery pack. Hardly expensive Russell in the grand scheme of things Laughing Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

It’s 240 pound Wink but it’s a little bit more than just a battery... anyhow I admit it should be cheaper!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Its only £35 odd for the battery pack. Hardly expensive Russell in the grand scheme of things Laughing Thumbs Up

£35 for the blackvue battery pack not seen them that cheap, best price I have seen is £135 hence the comment that the Anker are cheaper and do the same job

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Apologies Russell I never even knew these existed until I just typed it in just now. I was getting confused with the power magic pro which I have installed, hence the £35 comment.

Yes I agree it's steep, as it's nearly half as much as my front and back camera cost Shocked

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Yes hence the suggestion an Anker power pack

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I have usually found that purchasing cheaper 3rd party accessories give you more compatability/reliability issues, even though they are supposed to be a universal fit. Hence reason I just go for the original bits n pieces nowadays, as saves me going back to the shop for a refund, not to mention stripping the bits off after fitting them, only to find out that they won't work properly Rolling Eyes
    Buy cheap buy twice Laughing

• iainks123
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Hi in the process of selecting a dash cam and would be interested in what the most discreet least visible from the exterior one is, ie road angel halo, BlackVue etc horizontal style how tight can you mount to roof lining?

Round the centre mirror module there's graphics on inside of windscreen so would have to mount to the side of that I'm presuming?

I have also been considering the new Garmin mini dash cam as there's an upright gap behind rear view mirror that I think this would tuck into quite neatly.. not seen one in the flesh to see how small it actually is and doesn't have gps which would also be beneficial...

Main considerations: discreet, decent picture, parking mode. GPS would be beneficial. Don't need lcd screen and lane detection etc..

Open to suggestions on best option and would appreciate on some feedback on mounting position to keep as discreet as possible (photos in position would be great too)

Thanks in advance..

Iain
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I have a Blackvue and opted to have it behind the mirror so that it is invisible from the driver's POV. The downside is that it is noticeable for any front seat passenger.

The installer had suggested mounting it centrally, just below the rear view mirror / sensor housing. The wires can be hidden in that housing so you just have the camera cylinder tight up against / below it. it would be quite neat, but the cons are that it is lower down and - although discreet - always visible.

Andrew
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’ve got a Blackvue and I put it where you’ve got it. I am still trying to work out where to bung the rear camera without dismantling the vehicle.
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

I've often wondered why dashcam functionality isn't built into the vehicle as standard, it's not like my HSE Lux is short of cameras!
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Fully agree! at least give the option of a permanent feed from cameras into an external HD.
    i mean come on guys how long have we had dash cams for now? how hard can it be? instead of faffing about with stuff like in car wifi lets have something that we need!
    I often wonder if manufacturers actually drive their own cars...stuff like a secure box to pop you phone into that actually holds it safe and charges etc..they seem to be several years behind on tech all the time...

rant over... Laughing

But that reminds me I need to get another blackvue for the D5. The latest 750 looks nice.
    Going to just tuck cable into headline and plug into the 12v in the cubby box.
    Done similar in my truck with 650HD.
    Cameras are vital...we had a truck swipe our building...insurance argued and tried all the usual stuff..until I fired over the CCTV footage...paid up like a baby with money to spare..! Wink Cool

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Dangerdave wrote:
    I’ve got a Blackvue and I put it where you’ve got it. I am still trying to work out where to bung the rear camera without dismantling the vehicle.

I'll take a pic of my rear camera tomorrow

Andrew
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, appreciated. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum