Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

My experiences is its not quite as solid as the D4 that said its not really a issue. Ive been towing 2T twin axle for just short of two years and now totally used to its slight twitch when a coach or large truck passes me. It really is a non event.
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

3.0L or 2.0L Craig ? I want to buy the 2.0L because now is a good time for me to change, more choice of 2.0L on the newer engine
    Thanks
    This bloke says, "you should buy the 3.0L". its like a land rover advert, "its has 20% more torque ?
    Yes but do i need that for 4 caravan trips a year?, What viewers need to know are the limitations, we all know what the ideal would be Wink

• Craigp
    England 

Ive got the 3litre but been reading good stuff about the 2 litre so go with the car that suits you best for the majority of the time. Im sure they are both very capable of fulfilling your needs.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I've gone for the 2Ltr, after towing with 2 x 2.7 V6 D3's and 2 x 3 Ltr V6 D4's.

OK the D4's had more power and torque (256BHP and 600Nm Torque) but think about it in context, the 2Ltr (well my 2018 model has 240BHP and 500Nm torque - the 2019 model drops to 440Nm), but the D3 2.7 V6 had 196BHP and 440Nm and we all thought that was a great towcar at the time.

Also the D5 is lighter so its power to weight ratio is better.

I've only so far towed twice with mine and it seems fine.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Guys I don't mean to be mean, but you should compare the engines yourself before you make the choice.

I know the TD6 / SD6 are much more expensive for not much more power. And to be honest, I was going to get an SD4 myself. Mainly because of the price and because we already own a Disco Sport with the 180 bhp Ingenium Diesel which works quit well.
    Then an offer was made to me which I could not decline, so I ended up getting an TD6 (258 bhp). Even though the engine wasn't my choice I instantly loved it. A couple of weeks ago I had a courtesy Disco 5 with the SD4 engine and coil springs. And oh boy, that felt like a totally different car. It looked like my car, but it felt completely different. And not in the good way.
    Don't get me wrong, it was still a good car. If I would not have been used to my D5 I would probably not have noticed it that much, but as of today I can say I would never go for the SD4 or coil springs in a D5.

Greets,
    Hauser

Last edited by Hauser on 18th Mar 2019 5:23 am. Edited 1 time in total

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I went to the factory VIP visits and we had an engineer showing us round and giving a talk
    I asked the engineer if he thought the 2.0 was up to the job of towing and he said yes, it would require more revs and longer gear changes to keep pace
    However when I pushed him and said if you had a large twin axle and did about 4K a year towing it what would you go for 2.0 or 3.0 lt he said it would be the 3.0 all the time

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Russ - 4k ar year is quite a bit of towing. Most folks dont do that much and one of the asks was only about towing a few times, so on the basis that 95+% of the time it isnt going to be towing the 2Ltr should be fine.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Agreed thats an large amount of towing. Even with a trip to Spain last summer we only totalled about 2800.

When i was buying initially I thought about towing then I thought, for 7 or 8 round trips a year I should put towing secondary.

In the end it didn't change my the of car but at least I considered it lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Al I would agree, but for me the idea of the 3.0 is to tow with
    I think the 2.0 would be a great car if you didnt do much towing and if it was occasional but its not hence for me the 3.0 at the moment.
    The comment form the LR engineer afterwards was
    If you tow a lot and went for the 2.0 you would potentially be looking at premature wear earlier due to the higher revs and work loads on the 2,0
    This could be said for the 3.0 and engines going pop but heyho you take a chance with any car Very Happy

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I bought the Td6 anyway (which does rev higher than i expected) but my previous XC60 2.4 did 103000 miles in 5 years and towed same amount as we are now and the engine was very much the most solid part of the car so additional wear on the engine wouldnt have crossed my mind (but those old 5cylinder diesels were known for covering hundreds of thousands)

If i had chosen a 4 cyl, it would not have been the Disco, the 6 was half my reason for buying it.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for your input gents, much appreciated. My towing is south west coast of france once in the summer, then maybe 4 scotland trips. Maybe 2500 miles max a year.
    My reason for not looking at the TD6 is all the bad publicity about oil and servicing. The SDV6 starts at 62k for a full spec used.
    My budget is 50k, lots of used HSE LUX for that with low miles.
    In addition my understanding is the SD4 is more than capable of towing my caravan. Its a 2018 Bly peg palermo gt70 1750kg laden, so at the low end of twin axle.

George
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

Al cope, how heavy is your van? My awning kit comes to 84KG. luggage, barby, Kids bikes bedding about another 120kg all up. The boys are only 5 +6 , Wife 50kg Im 70kg.. Its not working that hard ???

When im not towing i have a 15 mile commute to work. Mon-Fri so fuel consumption not a major concern

George
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Goeoge - plated at 1800Kg (Elddis Supreme 840 - 8ft wide with plate upgrade), although I recon I am a bit under that wieght if I put the full awning in the back of the car.

Al

• GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Al, so if you find its ok and you dont feel its under powered or labouring, chances are i will feel the same. I would like to buy an SDV 6 but i have other things in life to spend money on. The choice on good spec 2L is endless. I have no idea if the issues with the TD6 engine are a real concern. Seems to be a lot of negative stuff out there.
    I've found one i like the look of, might just throw 100kg in my van and take the whole lot for a test drive
    Ps you car looks great, i have a Grey landmark at the moment, looking to get a silicone or carapth, or coris with black alloys also

George
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

thats the great thing, so many D5 already have a towbar assuming the dealer allows you can actually test tow Very Happy

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum