Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Not sure why you had issues towing with D5 I tow. A large twin axle with no issues at all I do however ensure the nose weight is towards the top limit and ensure the van is properly loaded
    I haves towed across Europe and at higher speeds than you would in the U.K. with no issues

As for the post about ATS system if you have not towed before and are not familiar with loading the van correctly I would suggest it was a wise buy at the end of the day there is nothing that will beat properly loading and safe driving

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

I've towed a twin axle caravan quite extensively with the D5 and whilst i don't think its quite as stable as the D4 its not a horror story either. Now back to your question. In your case taking into accout the cost and the size of the van i don't think i would bother. Its much more important how you load the van and avoid it snaking in the first place. I suppose its nice to have the comfort of the ATC but much more important to avoid the necessity of its operation.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I wish I could have got to the bottom of it, it was towing an INOS 2.5t Twin axle (on a BPW chassis) which towed fine on the amorok, but on the D5 really felt like it was pushing it about, on the level all ok, but downhills or undulations unsettled it so much I would regularly have to drop down again to 40-50mph to calm everything down.

Nose weight was always 120 to 140. Not sure if I have something funny with tyre size/pressure/air suspension but really unsettling.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

Hitch height ok?
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

seemed to be ok, however neve4 sure with air suspension when driving what the action height was when driving!

Also as I said earlier if you do exceed 60 be careful as the air suspension will lower the car for better aerodynamics but this will upset hitch height!

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

"When towing, you are restricted to a maximum speed of 50mph on single carriageway roads, and 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways"

I thought this applied even to LR owners Mr. Green

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

SDV6 are exempt.......... Smile
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I have towed a large TA throughout France and have never had issues. I did the first year think it was a little unstable but it was late at night and when I looked the speed had crept up to 80 which explained why it felt a little unsteady.
    It certainly feels diffrent to the D4 but all three D4s I had towed diffrently to each other but it does not feel diffrent to the point of feeling unstable or insafe

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

RB wrote:
    seemed to be ok, however neve4 sure with air suspension when driving what the action height was when driving!

Also as I said earlier if you do exceed 60 be careful as the air suspension will lower the car for better aerodynamics but this will upset hitch height!

Once D5 is in place to couple the hitch, turn engine off, shut doors, and connect trailer. See if it is reasonably level, use a spirit level if you have to. When you start the engine, the air will level everything up. As I tow most of the time, I go for a multi height tow bar as I like the trailer to be as level as possible before the suspension tries to alter anything.
    If your air is compensating for a heavy nose weight or a trailer hitch at a different height to your tow bar, it could give problems 'mid flight'.

Also, are you sure the suspension lowers at 60mph when the trailer electrics are plugged in? I thought this would have prevented it lowering?
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Did we ever work out whether this was an issue with electrically deployable towbars or what the common issues were?

Paint on towball and under inflated tyres?

Thanks
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I only have a direct comparison between my D5 and a 2012 XC60.

The D5 is obviously c450kg heavier, but towing the same 1750kg twin axle caravan. The XC60 was used extensively over 5 years on everything form country lanes and single carriage roads to Franch Autoroutes down to the med twice. During those years the caravan never once did anything untoward

The D5 has towed so far 6 single trips, now I am used to the much softer suspension on the D5 and thus it pitches more than the Volvo did towing i am more comfortable. However having said that it is definitely less stable on the motorway than when towing with the Volvo. By less stable I mean it is fine but when there is a passing truck I can feel it considerably more than before. Stability appears to improve if I increase the nose weight, but ALKO state the max nose weight for the caravan is 100KG, so I need to exceed the ALKO max nose weight for the caravan to be more stable.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Well I will be trying my 2Ltr HSE with 8Ft wide Elddis 840 on the back later this week - OK after the D3's and D4's its going to take a lot to be better than they have been, but in for a penny and all that Thumbs Up

I have the electronic deployable towbar (with paint cleaned off now Whistle ) and even on the D4 ran a touch over the 100Kg ALKO noseweight - will try the same again here. Towball height seems to be pretty much the same height as the fixed ball was on the D4.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I really should measure the towball height actually, at normal ride and engine running. Will do that at weekend for the hell of it

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Well towed with mine last night - and all seems to be fine. It didnt feel any different to the D4 and no more movement when overtaking trucks (and at one point I was halfway down the side of an artic with a big panal van overtaking me - no dramas at all).

The 2Ltr didnt seem to be lacking in punch, and with cruise set at 60mph even on some longish hills (on the M5) speed only dropped to 58 before it started accelerating and was pretty much straight back up on 60.

A couple of nice touches (thing I didnt know it would do), but the speed limit sign on the dash, usually says 70mph when running solo on the motorway, says 60 mph when 'van attached - smart Thumbs Up )

And the trailer light check button in the boot (as I have the electronically deployable towabr) is great. Press it, walk round to the rear of the 'van and all the lights are going on and off (mini disco) so you can see if they all work.

Happy so far
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Just read the entire thread and not sure it has helped me

I'm no expert, been towing a 1750kg twin axle with a D4 for two years and just about to change to a D5. What i do know is that there are some basic rules that need followed if your van is close to the weight of your car. Pack the caravan properly with weight over the wheels, keep the heavy stuff low down, Buy a nose weight gauge and check it. Get your tyre pressures correct. The D4 is so heavy and rigid. Nothing much in the caravan world will cause it to move around. Bikes on the back of a long caravan is a bad idea but again, the D4 will probably remain rigid. So after reading it all, Is the summary as follows; a D5 is not quite as forgiving as a D3/4 if you tow over 2000kg or don’t follow the loading rules? Or is there some technical issue with D5’s that makes things worse, notwithstanding the tow ball paint advice

I always put my really heavy stuff in the boot. If a lorry passes and swings the van for a moment, no big deal, as long as the car is ok. Towcar info is a handy site for matching outfits

https://towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum