Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

just changed my avatar to show my D5 with 'van hooked up

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I would do the same, but the pic I have shows how dirty the D5 is lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Well we picked up the new Caravan this weekend a TA Swift Elegance 645 Grande whic is the 8' version. So I tried the Milenco mirrors again with the LR pads fitted. Well I was impressed, they stayed fixed to the mirrors for the duration of the weekend and were stable and vibration free.
    Far better than the standard pads fitted which kept falling off.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Russ - I havnt gone for the new style pads yet, as the mirrors on the D5 are the same as my MY16 D4 was, and have had no issues with the Millencos (including with the longer arms fitted so that I can see round our 8' wide Elddis) with the "normal" pads Thumbs Up

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

We also collected our new caravan over the weekend! A 2019 Buccaneer Clipper from Crowland Caravans. I did find that I need to get the extra long milenco mirror arms so I can see properly down each side of the 8' width for manouvering.
    What are the different pads that your using?
    From memory ours are not the standard flat pads but are shaped with a bevelled section and hold pretty well. Be interesting to see how they hold with the wider arms!

Happy Caravaning! Very Happy
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I had the bevelled pads and had loads of issues with them coming off. Gave up and went back to my old mirrors
    Then got told there are special pads for the 2015 LR mirrors and onwards. Ordered a set and to be honest they look fairly flat but with a slight lip in the middle. tried them and they are secure and steady so going with that for now.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Ahh - I wondered why yours seemed to be a problem, but I never went for the bevelled pads, stayed with the flat standard ones (with the rubber on the bracket "mod" to help grip) which have been fine.

Al

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Dragged the van up the M1 and it didn’t seem as sure footed as the D4s both did but it felt solid although moved slightly more with vehicles.

Did not bother inflating up to 50psi, do people find it makes much difference

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

When going away I've always ìnflated to 50psi and not noticed any real difference to the D4, have towed to dealer for service on std pressures and did feel slightly less stable but then didnt have as much nose weight. Ride solo on 50psi is not very good though.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Jack - I left my rears at 37, but used to run the D4 rears at 42, so next time out I am going to try the D5 at 42 as well just to see if it makes any difference, not that I noticed any movement last time out but next time will have a bit more stuff in the boot.

Al

PS - we have been very spoiled as owners of D3's and D4's being such good tow cars. If they hadnt have existed we'd be raving about how good the D5 was - why even my 2 TD5's were pretty damn good towcars. I pity all those other drivers of lesser towcars Whistle

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Std SE are 19 inch running 255/60 tyres, 19s on D4 were 255/55, so D5 has higher sidewall and are likley to have more lateral compliance and hence slightly less resistance to sideways movement, increasing pressure should stiffen them up.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Mines on 285/40x22’s so don’t think there is much sidewall movement 😉

Al

• JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Very true Al re D4 being a solid workhorse.

The D5 gave me no issues really on the way up, but always looking to improve that little sway

Shall run the tyres at 50 and see what happens

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

1500 miles in with my new D5 Commercial.

Done a bit of towing with it. No caravans, mainly plant trailers of various lengths and weights. I generally tow 10-12k miles a year so am familiar with whats right and whats not.

Towed a lot with D2, D3, D4's and now the D5. A few observations below:

Suspension and ride seems harder on D5 than it did on D4, without a trailer.

The day I collected the D5 it was very windy. On dual carriage way, the D5 seemed to get blown about a lot more than I was expecting. D4 never reacted like this. Yes, I know D5 is lighter.

When D5 arrived, I'd ordered a multi height tow bar. Was set a lowest level. This was too low. Moved up to 2nd from bottom hole. Nearest height I could get to D4 tow ball. However, this was nearly an inch higher than D4. Surely that's wrong for starters? Hitch height has always been a crucial factor to get right.

When towing a loaded trailer, nothing big, 6metres long, 1.5 to 2 tonne load, the D5 feels slightly skittish, like it's up on tip toes?? Lots more banging from the hitch area than I've ever noticed on D4?

Bags of power which is great. Overtook something with a big stab of the loud pedal, as I pulled back in the D5 had reached about 64mph. As I was pulling in though, I got the feeling I was not fully in control of everything. Just suddenly felt momentarily icy underfoot. (23 deg C at the time). Squared up, slowed down a bit and all came back together, but I know D4 would just charge on un effected in the same situation.

Having read through a lot of this thread a few things I need to clarify.

Nose weight - I will check this, but never been an issue with other Disco's on same trailers.

Paint on tow ball - Was fully painted when I got it. Never gave it a thought. The trailers have removed 50% of the paint at front of ball. Guessing I should remove the rest and grease the ball?

Tyre pressures - Running 255/55/19 General Grabber AT3's. Rears 37, Fronts 34. Should I be running at the pressures for the heavier load, even if nose weight and laden capacity are down?

Hitch height - I may have a drop plate made that offers the heights I want? A difference of nearly an inch more than the D4 is wrong.

Suspension - Does this lower the car once a certain speed is reached? Even with a trailer connected? IMO this is not a safe feature if it does lower when towing.
    Has anyone ever found pre PDI bump stops in the suspension at all? Just feels like something is preventing the suspension from being the comfort that air should provide?

Thanks in advance.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've found mine very comfy and less wallowy than the D3. Mind you I did spec Adaptive Dynamics. I have only been running in auto terrain setting which I think is defaulted to Comfort mode. Only done about 300 miles of towing so far though.

Last edited by chaos_theory on 23rd Apr 2019 11:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum